Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Blue-Ray BDP-S300

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 10:16 AM

I just purchased this player a few days ago, does not play regular DVD's only Blue-Ray discs. CD's are OK. Is there any problems with these units or is it a setting on player?

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   movienutt

movienutt

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 12:23 PM

I've got this player as well. Of course it plays Blu-Ray discs fine AND regular DVD's fine as well, so I don't understand why regular DVD's won't work for you in this machine. I didn't have to do anything with the settings for it to play DVD's or CD's. What's happening? It won't read the disc? Are you getting an error message? It may be a faulty unit, in which case, just return it for an exchange. That's about all I can offer by way of advice. Good luck!

-Mike

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 12:29 PM

Regular DVD's load up, but when it say's push for play it just wont play.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 12:42 PM

Looks like I have a faulty unit. thanks for the reply

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 27 2008 - 01:01 PM

I have this player too. Plays everything fine. DVDs look great. I use an HDMI cable, fantastic upconversion to my Tosh plasma. Make sure you upgrade the firmware, when you get a new machine.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 01:13 PM

I have knowledge on audio but my last DVD player was purchased 8 years ago, can you please explain the need of upgrading the firmware and where do i get it from and how is it done. thanks

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 28 2008 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink
I have knowledge on audio but my last DVD player was purchased 8 years ago, can you please explain the need of upgrading the firmware and where do i get it from and how is it done. thanks

In your Blu-ray player box you should have instructions telling you about firmware updates. Just go to the Sony Support website and ask for a firmware disc, if yours is not up to date. The instructions on how to check your update are a bit lengthy to detail here, how to do it. The player wont play some Blu-ray discs, and even some DVDs if it has an older update.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 02:12 PM

If you don't want to wait for Sony to mail you a disc, you can download the latest firmware from the support Web site and burn it to a CD, if you're comfortable doing that.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink
Regular DVD's load up, but when it say's push for play it just wont play.
When you say, "loads up" do you get the regular dvds menu screen? With the scene selection, special features selection, etc., etc. You may have the parental code locked on the player. I would check that.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans
When you say, "loads up" do you get the regular dvds menu screen? With the scene selection, special features selection, etc., etc. You may have the parental code locked on the player. I would check that.

It is still not working, reset to factory setting, I think I just got a bad one. I'll exchange it, things happen..

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 09:45 AM

Exchanged unit at CC and it works perfect, thanks for all you're help guys.
Pearl Harbor is awesome...

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 06:13 PM

Super...Posted Image
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted March 31 2008 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Pearl Harbor is awesome...

It was going along so well, and then...Posted Image

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Beau B

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted March 31 2008 - 12:32 PM

How come some times when I press stop on the player it says resume off and some times it says resume on?

Are their certain Blu rays that are funny about stoping them and trying to start back up in same spot?

Beau

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau B
How come some times when I press stop on the player it says resume off and some times it says resume on?

Are their certain Blu rays that are funny about stoping them and trying to start back up in same spot?

Beau

I'm not too sure, but titles that use BD-J might prevent the resume function from working. Certainly, the latest PS3 software update points this out for its newly added/enhanced resume function.

BTW, for anyone interested, eCost.com currently has this player at a great price of ~$270:

DVD Players & Recorders - High Definition Blu-Ray Disc Player - BDP-S300 (Sony) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

EDIT: Please note that these eCost units are actually refurbs -- and as Bob Maged points out in the next post, you can also buy such refurbs directly from Sony's own outlet/stores, including SonyStyle.com, at a similar price w/ free shipping after applying a coupon.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Bob Maged

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
...BTW, for anyone interested, eCost.com currently has this player at a great price of ~$270:

DVD Players & Recorders - High Definition Blu-Ray Disc Player - BDP-S300 (Sony) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

_Man_

The units sold by ecost are refurbished -- the sonystyle.com store has the refurbished BDP-S300 for $261 after coupon (AFFB10) with free shipping. A much better deal in my opinion; if you buy a refurb, better to buy directly from the manufacturer.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 05:49 AM

Ooooh! I hadn't realized they are refurb units. Thanks for the heads up. I will edit my previous post accordingly in case some don't bother to read your follow-up.

BTW, I wonder how many of such refurbs are actually just returns that needed a quick firmware update. Not a bad way to go if so although I still would rather stay away from these slower running standalones myself.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Beau B

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 03:09 AM

I have the latest firmware on the player.

Thats why i was wondering why it would let me resume on some BD movies and not others?

Beau

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 12:04 PM

I'm not positive on this, but I think the resume feature has to be allowed by the disc.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,942 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 04:40 AM

Is everyone generally positive on this player? I was thinking of getting it, but I have a question or two.

What is its profile? If it is 1.1 or 1.0, will the firmware update keep it current in terms of being able to play all features on the Blu-Ray discs? Or is a firmware update unrelated to the profile?

Will this player quickly become outdated once the new players hit the stores this summer? Am I better off waiting?

Any help is much appreciated!

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow