What's new

Sony Blue-Ray BDP-S300 (1 Viewer)

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I just purchased this player a few days ago, does not play regular DVD's only Blue-Ray discs. CD's are OK. Is there any problems with these units or is it a setting on player?

movienutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Sharshukow
I've got this player as well. Of course it plays Blu-Ray discs fine AND regular DVD's fine as well, so I don't understand why regular DVD's won't work for you in this machine. I didn't have to do anything with the settings for it to play DVD's or CD's. What's happening? It won't read the disc? Are you getting an error message? It may be a faulty unit, in which case, just return it for an exchange. That's about all I can offer by way of advice. Good luck!

-Mike

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Regular DVD's load up, but when it say's push for play it just wont play.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Looks like I have a faulty unit. thanks for the reply

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have this player too. Plays everything fine. DVDs look great. I use an HDMI cable, fantastic upconversion to my Tosh plasma. Make sure you upgrade the firmware, when you get a new machine.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I have knowledge on audio but my last DVD player was purchased 8 years ago, can you please explain the need of upgrading the firmware and where do i get it from and how is it done. thanks

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

In your Blu-ray player box you should have instructions telling you about firmware updates. Just go to the Sony Support website and ask for a firmware disc, if yours is not up to date. The instructions on how to check your update are a bit lengthy to detail here, how to do it. The player wont play some Blu-ray discs, and even some DVDs if it has an older update.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If you don't want to wait for Sony to mail you a disc, you can download the latest firmware from the support Web site and burn it to a CD, if you're comfortable doing that.

troy evans

Screenwriter
When you say, "loads up" do you get the regular dvds menu screen? With the scene selection, special features selection, etc., etc. You may have the parental code locked on the player. I would check that.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters

It is still not working, reset to factory setting, I think I just got a bad one. I'll exchange it, things happen..

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Exchanged unit at CC and it works perfect, thanks for all you're help guys.
Pearl Harbor is awesome...

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
How come some times when I press stop on the player it says resume off and some times it says resume on?

Are their certain Blu rays that are funny about stoping them and trying to start back up in same spot?

Beau

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I'm not too sure, but titles that use BD-J might prevent the resume function from working. Certainly, the latest PS3 software update points this out for its newly added/enhanced resume function.

BTW, for anyone interested, eCost.com currently has this player at a great price of ~$270:

DVD Players & Recorders - High Definition Blu-Ray Disc Player - BDP-S300 (Sony) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

EDIT: Please note that these eCost units are actually refurbs -- and as Bob Maged points out in the next post, you can also buy such refurbs directly from Sony's own outlet/stores, including SonyStyle.com at a similar price w/ free shipping after applying a coupon.

_Man_

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

The units sold by ecost are refurbished -- the sonystyle.com store has the refurbished BDP-S300 for $261 after coupon (AFFB10) with free shipping. A much better deal in my opinion; if you buy a refurb, better to buy directly from the manufacturer.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ooooh! I hadn't realized they are refurb units. Thanks for the heads up. I will edit my previous post accordingly in case some don't bother to read your follow-up.

BTW, I wonder how many of such refurbs are actually just returns that needed a quick firmware update. Not a bad way to go if so although I still would rather stay away from these slower running standalones myself.

_Man_

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the latest firmware on the player.

Thats why i was wondering why it would let me resume on some BD movies and not others?

Beau

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is everyone generally positive on this player? I was thinking of getting it, but I have a question or two.

What is its profile? If it is 1.1 or 1.0, will the firmware update keep it current in terms of being able to play all features on the Blu-Ray discs? Or is a firmware update unrelated to the profile?

Will this player quickly become outdated once the new players hit the stores this summer? Am I better off waiting?

Any help is much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks