Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TDB: Fox/MGM prepping several catalog titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 21 2008 - 02:58 PM

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

"I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films."

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 72 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 21 2008 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

"I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films."
I hope they come lowered in price.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy

What he said. Also, will Fargo follow in the footsteps of every MGM catalog release so far and have absolutely nothing in the way of supplements? I truly, truly hope Fox reduces their prices across the board by the time the holidays come. I don't like the concept of one of its biggest supporters still gouging customers on software prices when Blu has a big chance to get its foot in the door this holiday season.

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Mmmmmmmmmm Planet of the Apes!!!!!!

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 12:07 AM

I'd definitely pick up The French Connection, X-Men trilogy 1-2, the original Planet of the Apes, Young Frankenstein and maybe Fargo.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 01:42 AM

At this point, I would be FAR more excited to see the Batman series show up on SD than to get the movie (which I do enjoy) in HD. I can't belive X-Men will show up before release of the Wolverine movie in 2009...so those are over a year away. Planet of the Apes would be great to have. I wouldn't mind Young Frankenstein either. Other than that I was expecting to see a lot more titles than these mentioned when I clicked the thread. Guess those strong (TDB?) rumours of Alien making it out this year- the first half of '08 was the time frame given IIRC- are going to end up being more hot air. Hopefully the films 30th anniversary in 09 will be the longest we have to wait. I would love to get a Bd of The Apartment but won't be holding my breath. As far as musicals- I really want some of the bigger R&H titles, but would be happy to see West Side Story come out . Can't think of many other (good) musicals MGM still owns beyond that and Fiddler on the Roof. Actually Sonys 1776 may be the musical I most want on HD now.

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I hope they come out. Period. Posted Image

Quote:

Of those titles, I would absolutely buy Walk the Line, The French Connection, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, and the original Planet of the Apes.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,306 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 22 2008 - 01:51 AM

I'll definitely pick up Fargo. Depending on their cost and how much cash I've got on the weeks that they're released (or if I see them in a buy one, get one sale at some point), I'd pick up most of the others.

It's funny I was trying to figure why the thread title said this was 'to be decided'. Then I realized it TDB and not TBD. Posted Image

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Mmmmmmmmmm Planet of the Apes!!!!!!

Doug

Bad Ass!!! I'd pay $100 for POTA. Very happyPosted Image

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#10 of 72 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2008 - 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
Bad Ass!!! I'd pay $100 for POTA. Very happyPosted Image
That's what they're counting on, early adoptors will buy more than the average consumer which is why they charge the prices they do.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:11 AM

I guess this thread eventually will be another "Fox price range"-discussion, but let me still say this: Good news that new titles are coming. Keep the good titles coming and I´ll buy them. But yes, not in "full price" if they´re "bare bones" or something..

#12 of 72 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well you can't blame people for complaining, their catalog prices do suck.

It's deterred more than a few purchases from me though I'm not quite as militant as some because I'll still pick up "favorite" titles that come out as long as I can continue to afford it.
Death before Streaming!

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:22 AM

Frankly, the constant bitching about Fox's prices has gotten beyond tiresome. Clearly people have forgotten laserdisc prices, not to mention DVD prices in its early days. As DVD became commonplace, the prices dropped. The same will happen with Blu-ray.

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Well you can't blame people for complaining, their catalog prices do suck.

Sure sure, but it´s just that perhaps we could have at least one thread where we could talk about the actual Fox-releases and films..

#15 of 72 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
Frankly, the constant bitching about Fox's prices has gotten beyond tiresome. Clearly people have forgotten laserdisc prices, not to mention DVD prices in its early days. As DVD became commonplace, the prices dropped. The same will happen with Blu-ray.
That's too bad, but I'm going to speak out about their prices until they come down. It isn't about me, but for this format to grow, it needs to be more competitive in their pricing, plain and simple.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#16 of 72 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
Sure sure, but it´s just that perhaps we could have at least one thread where we could talk about the actual Fox-releases and films..
You can't separate the good from the bad, they're connected whether you like it or not.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:45 AM

Oh well, I give up..

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,662 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:53 AM

Robert Crawford said it so excellently before (in another thread, I believe): it's the price-structure they should give a serious thought.
New blockbusters is one group, but catalog titles is quite another.

Of course there will always be a few catalog titles that will be bought by a few collectors almost regardless of the price.

But many collectors will simply have to choose whether or not to double-dip on many of the catalog titles they already own on DVD.
"Shall I replace the DVD by this new Blu-ray version?". The presence or absence of extras, the quality of the image, the new audio channels are certainly important considerations then.
And to many it will be a necessity to consider the price of the new goodies. It's a different weighing process, so the price simply needs to be more attractive.

If new BD versions are priced at exactly (or almost) the same level as new blockbusters - that will pose a problem achieving market penetration, IMO.

Cees

#19 of 72 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,022 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 22 2008 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
Oh well, I give up..
Frankly, my negative comments about Fox/MGM catalog pricing is against my basic nature as a collector and film lover. You don't acquire a library of over 4000 discs worrying about pricing. However, I'm concern about this format becoming more than a niche market especially with the current state of the economy as it is, the only way it's going to make it beyond the HT enthusiasts like ourselves is for their product to be competitively priced and marketed in a way that catches on with the mass market. We're coming up to the two year anniversary and it would be nice that at that time, Fox goes beyond their recent price reductions on select titles and do the same with all catalog titles. If Fox's competitors can price their catalog titles more competitively, why can't Fox/MGM?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 22 2008 - 05:00 AM

Paul S. - There are clearly other titles in the works. I doubt Fox forgot about Alien.

Robert - I wholeheartedly agree with your (and everyone else's) complaint. However, I also see Jari's point. It would be nice to discuss Planet of the Apes (1968) and The French Connection for 2-3 posts in a row without the (rightful) price complaints.

That being said, count me in for Planet of the Apes, The French Connection, X-Men, X-Men 2, and maybe Walk the Line and Young Frankenstein.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow