What's new

TDB: Fox/MGM prepping several catalog titles (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

"I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films."

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

What he said. Also, will Fargo follow in the footsteps of every MGM catalog release so far and have absolutely nothing in the way of supplements? I truly, truly hope Fox reduces their prices across the board by the time the holidays come. I don't like the concept of one of its biggest supporters still gouging customers on software prices when Blu has a big chance to get its foot in the door this holiday season.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely pick up The French Connection, X-Men trilogy 1-2, the original Planet of the Apes, Young Frankenstein and maybe Fargo.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
At this point, I would be FAR more excited to see the Batman series show up on SD than to get the movie (which I do enjoy) in HD. I can't belive X-Men will show up before release of the Wolverine movie in 2009...so those are over a year away. Planet of the Apes would be great to have. I wouldn't mind Young Frankenstein either. Other than that I was expecting to see a lot more titles than these mentioned when I clicked the thread. Guess those strong (TDB?) rumours of Alien making it out this year- the first half of '08 was the time frame given IIRC- are going to end up being more hot air. Hopefully the films 30th anniversary in 09 will be the longest we have to wait. I would love to get a Bd of The Apartment but won't be holding my breath. As far as musicals- I really want some of the bigger R&H titles, but would be happy to see West Side Story come out . Can't think of many other (good) musicals MGM still owns beyond that and Fiddler on the Roof. Actually Sonys 1776 may be the musical I most want on HD now.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Of those titles, I would absolutely buy Walk the Line, The French Connection, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, and the original Planet of the Apes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely pick up Fargo. Depending on their cost and how much cash I've got on the weeks that they're released (or if I see them in a buy one, get one sale at some point), I'd pick up most of the others.

It's funny I was trying to figure why the thread title said this was 'to be decided'. Then I realized it TDB and not TBD. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's what they're counting on, early adoptors will buy more than the average consumer which is why they charge the prices they do.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I guess this thread eventually will be another "Fox price range"-discussion, but let me still say this: Good news that new titles are coming. Keep the good titles coming and I´ll buy them. But yes, not in "full price" if they´re "bare bones" or something..

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well you can't blame people for complaining, their catalog prices do suck.

It's deterred more than a few purchases from me though I'm not quite as militant as some because I'll still pick up "favorite" titles that come out as long as I can continue to afford it.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Frankly, the constant bitching about Fox's prices has gotten beyond tiresome. Clearly people have forgotten laserdisc prices, not to mention DVD prices in its early days. As DVD became commonplace, the prices dropped. The same will happen with Blu-ray.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Sure sure, but it´s just that perhaps we could have at least one thread where we could talk about the actual Fox-releases and films..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's too bad, but I'm going to speak out about their prices until they come down. It isn't about me, but for this format to grow, it needs to be more competitive in their pricing, plain and simple.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can't separate the good from the bad, they're connected whether you like it or not.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert Crawford said it so excellently before (in another thread, I believe): it's the price-structure they should give a serious thought.
New blockbusters is one group, but catalog titles is quite another.

Of course there will always be a few catalog titles that will be bought by a few collectors almost regardless of the price.

But many collectors will simply have to choose whether or not to double-dip on many of the catalog titles they already own on DVD.
"Shall I replace the DVD by this new Blu-ray version?". The presence or absence of extras, the quality of the image, the new audio channels are certainly important considerations then.
And to many it will be a necessity to consider the price of the new goodies. It's a different weighing process, so the price simply needs to be more attractive.

If new BD versions are priced at exactly (or almost) the same level as new blockbusters - that will pose a problem achieving market penetration, IMO.

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, my negative comments about Fox/MGM catalog pricing is against my basic nature as a collector and film lover. You don't acquire a library of over 4000 discs worrying about pricing. However, I'm concern about this format becoming more than a niche market especially with the current state of the economy as it is, the only way it's going to make it beyond the HT enthusiasts like ourselves is for their product to be competitively priced and marketed in a way that catches on with the mass market. We're coming up to the two year anniversary and it would be nice that at that time, Fox goes beyond their recent price reductions on select titles and do the same with all catalog titles. If Fox's competitors can price their catalog titles more competitively, why can't Fox/MGM?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Paul S. - There are clearly other titles in the works. I doubt Fox forgot about Alien.

Robert - I wholeheartedly agree with your (and everyone else's) complaint. However, I also see Jari's point. It would be nice to discuss Planet of the Apes (1968) and The French Connection for 2-3 posts in a row without the (rightful) price complaints.

That being said, count me in for Planet of the Apes, The French Connection, X-Men, X-Men 2, and maybe Walk the Line and Young Frankenstein.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks