Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mad Men DVD Rumor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 09 2008 - 04:01 AM

I have anxiously anticipating for this show to come on DVD because I have heard so many great things about it. According to this Mad Men blog it will be released on July 1. If this is true, I can't wait.

Can Dave or Gord confirm this?

Scoop!!! Are we the first to announce? « Basket of Kisses

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Screenwriter

• 1,367 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted March 09 2008 - 06:20 AM

Chauvinistic men slapping secretarys' behinds, smoking non-filter cigarettes like chimneys, and drinking 100 proof hi-balls in the office before lunch just to get started - what's not to love?

Actually, it is a great show, written by former Sopranos writer Matthew Weiner. Rod Serling knew this early 1960s skyscraper business world well and frequently based Twilight Zone episodes around these stressed-out big city types (plus "Patterns"). Now we get that same world in high definition detail and get a lurid glimpse behind their secretarys' and wives' points of view, too. And that quintessential icon of early 60s' business movies ("How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying") - Robert Morse, appears as the owner of the ad agency.

AMC has renewed the show for a second season coming later in the summer, so the first season DVD set will probably hit just before that. Put away your B&W TV DVDs from the same era for a spell and scope this out when it does.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted March 09 2008 - 05:44 PM

I have to add that this is one of the most interesting shows to come out this past year. I'm excited that they're going to offer it on DVD.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,880 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 10 2008 - 03:25 AM

Mad Men and Damages got me through an incredibly long summer last year. I'll definitely grab the set (Lionsgate, maybe a Blu Ray edition, too...?) whenever it hits. What a great, involving show!

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 08:44 AM

Jason, do you think it's as good as Damages? Because Damages was one of the most amazing shows of last year and it would be great if I could sink my teeth into another equally amazing show.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,880 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 12 2008 - 08:53 AM

Jim, I think they're every bit each other's equal. Excellent casting, involving writing...the only place I think Mad Men has a leg up is the music and production design because of the era being recreated. It takes an episode or two to really get going-at least IMHO-but once it does, more layers to each character are revealed. Completely fascinating show.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,476 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 01 2008 - 10:55 AM

July 1

Mad Men DVD news: Announcment for Mad Men - Season 1 on DVD and Blu-ray Disc | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,880 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 02 2008 - 12:48 AM

Wow, July 1 is really starting to become loaded with releases...good news, though, which means Season 2 should premiere by the end of the month.