-

Photo
- - - - -

It Takes a Thief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#41 of 133 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 12:09 AM

Retro releases have falling off so much lately, I stopped expecting anything special. It is nice to be surprised. Hopefully we will get a full season release. My biggest problem with the split seasons isn't the extra money, but the decreased likelihood of multiple releases finishing a series or stretching it over long periods of time.

#42 of 133 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 01:42 AM

I sure hope this comes to past.  I have been hoping for this series for years. 

#43 of 133 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 01:50 AM

Wow, this is great news. I have been slowly, patiently recording them off of RTN this year (which has gone through the cycle several times now without airing all episodes), but hate the idea of depending on dvd-r’s and the quality of RTN and their bug on the screen.

I don’t care about extras, just put the entire series on dvd.

#44 of 133 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 09:01 AM

I've been recording them off-the-air too, and the quality's been fair-to-dreadful. Hope whoever's doing this has access to better materials. Good to hear that there's some buzz about it, in any event.

#45 of 133 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 12:24 PM

If, IT TAKES A THIEF, comes from Shout Factory or Timeless Media, we will probably get those fair-to-dreadful  syndication tapes.  Are they at least uncut?

Universal, itself, should put It Takes A Thief out with fresh transfers.  If they would hire Robert Wagner to go on the network morning news shows and Regis, to announce the 'Thief' DVD release, the DVD sets would fly off the shelf.

#46 of 133 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gu 

If, IT TAKES A THIEF, comes from Shout Factory or Timeless Media, we will probably get those fair-to-dreadful  syndication tapes. 
Syndication =/= picture quality. It only refers to the edited version of an episode, nothing more. The full-length version of an episode is always the network version, regardless of the picture quality.

To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#47 of 133 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_P 

I've been recording them off-the-air too, and the quality's been fair-to-dreadful. Hope whoever's doing this has access to better materials. Good to hear that there's some buzz about it, in any event.

I think that's a pipe dream. Universal has no interest in doing anything whatsoever with their 60s shows. This will be a licensing deal. We will get those old tape transfers. With how Universal is set up, there's no way that won't be the case.

#48 of 133 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 09:32 AM

Aren't there comparable shows that universal has released to get an idea of the quality?

Right now I'm recording off of RTN and the quality is not very good, so anything would be better...

#49 of 133 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted November 01 2009 - 04:00 AM

Well, a show of similar vintage that was released on DVD by Universal is "Alias Smith & Jones" (Glen Larson's next show after "Thief"), and the prints are gorgeous. But that was remastered for a run on the Westerns Channel a couple of years prior to its DVD release, so it's not really the same situation.

The "ITAT" prints on my local station seem to be uncut. The running time is 50-51 minutes after I edit the commercials out, which seems right for a show of that time period. Many of the prints are very badly faded, though; I can't imagine anyone using them to master a DVD release. There'd be "Fugitive"-scale complaints about it if they did.

#50 of 133 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted November 01 2009 - 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_P 

Well, a show of similar vintage that was released on DVD by Universal is "Alias Smith & Jones" (Glen Larson's next show after "Thief"), and the prints are gorgeous. But that was remastered for a run on the Westerns Channel a couple of years prior to its DVD release, so it's not really the same situation.

The "ITAT" prints on my local station seem to be uncut. The running time is 50-51 minutes after I edit the commercials out, which seems right for a show of that time period. Many of the prints are very badly faded, though; I can't imagine anyone using them to master a DVD release. There'd be "Fugitive"-scale complaints about it if they did.

The RTN episodes do look like they are from faded prints. But I have a few episodes taped from a long time ago that looked a lot better. No idea if they were from better prints or if they had actually been remastered. They looked better than what RTN has though.

#51 of 133 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted November 01 2009 - 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock 
          The RTN episodes do look like they are from faded prints. But I have a few episodes taped from a long time ago that looked a lot better. No idea if they were from better prints or if they had actually been remastered. They looked better than what RTN has though.

Heck, the prints that were on HULU were alot better than RTN. :)

#52 of 133 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 06 2009 - 03:38 PM

I would love to have this series on DVD as it is one of the first I rememeber watching with regularity back in the late 1960s!!!!  The theme music remains a favorite of mine!!!!  :D
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#53 of 133 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted November 08 2009 - 05:27 AM

Could this be why a release is planned? I know that a movie has been on the radar for some time, but if this is what it takes, fine...

http://www.themoviei...-takes-a-thief/

#54 of 133 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted November 08 2009 - 07:20 AM

I don't care if that is why or not.  But Alexander Mundy platyed by Will Smith?  I don't think so.  Too bad Robert Wagner is so old.

#55 of 133 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted November 09 2009 - 02:49 AM

Robert Wagner is a couple decades too old. I don't care who plays the character because the chances of them making a good story are slim. They are going to replaces interesting stories and style with action and special FX I am sure.

But if that is what it takes to get this on dvd, so be it.

#56 of 133 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted November 09 2009 - 03:12 AM

That is all they can do anymore.  Make remakes of old shows.  I am sure it will be like the Mission Impossible movie.  All action and FX.  The show was a well written drama.  Oh well.  As long as we see the original series on dvd.

#57 of 133 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted November 11 2009 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, the first season to tie into the theatrical release, the second to tie into the movie DVD release. The third season? No tie in so you'll be waiting the same as people are waiting for the third season of Hardy Boys.

#58 of 133 OFFLINE   gruagach

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted November 11 2009 - 04:16 AM

If they wanted to bring Robert Wagoner into movie remake, they could give him a Fred Astaire role, playing Mundy's father.

#59 of 133 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted November 11 2009 - 05:26 AM

Not sure if tha would work if the star is Will Smith, but a cameo would be nice.

I was also thinking of the 1 season release upon movie release and second along with the movie dvd release. Give the fan base I would think the market would be there for the third season, which might be my favorite season. With only three seasons, maybe, just maybe they would release a box from the get go.

#60 of 133 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted November 11 2009 - 06:46 AM

Robert could play the part of an older agent that is retiring maybe?