Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"The Road to Bali/The Road to Rio" HD DVD has shipped 1-16-08


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

    Screenwriter

  • 1,213 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 16 1998
  • Real Name:Paul Hillenbrand

Posted January 16 2008 - 11:32 AM

The studio is faster than I am! Was going to cancel all HD DVD orders after Warner's move to Blu-ray.Posted Image This title has been listed at High-Def Digest for release on February 19, 2008 and I ordered it back in November 2007.

Amazon.com sent me an e-mail that it is in stock today, my Visa has been charged and was sent free two day UPS.

Kind of glad it's coming.Posted ImagePosted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection


#2 of 25 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

    Screenwriter

  • 1,213 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 16 1998
  • Real Name:Paul Hillenbrand

Posted January 16 2008 - 11:46 AM

Could a Moderator please correct the date in the Title thread to 1-16-08, I'm a year behind!Posted Image Sorry!Posted Image
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection


#3 of 25 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted January 16 2008 - 11:49 AM

Very cool Paul. As my signature might suggest, I'm really looking forward to these. Let us know how they look.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#4 of 25 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,600 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:11 PM

Ditto. I have been waiting for a quality report before I buy them. I orginally owned these on LD...

#5 of 25 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

    Screenwriter

  • 1,213 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 16 1998
  • Real Name:Paul Hillenbrand

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:21 PM

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 The Road To Rio / The Road... $13.95 1 $13.95

Shipped via UPS (estimated arrival date: 18-January-2008).
Tracking number: 1Z38EWxxxxxxxxx525

Item Subtotal: $13.95
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

BN Promotion Applied $-1.40
EB Pre-order Guarantee $0.00

Total: $12.55

Paid by Visa: $12.55
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Not a bad price for 2 HD movies on one disc.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection


#6 of 25 Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall

    Second Unit

  • 329 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 09 1999

Posted January 16 2008 - 02:01 PM

My copy arrived yesterday, and I watched "Road to Rio" last night (haven't watched "Road to Bali" yet). The transfer seems to have come from a good print (the UCLA archives are mentioned at the start of the disc) and detail is good. Contrast could be a little better, perhaps, but it's otherwise quite good. I hadn't seen these movies before, so I can't comment on how the HD-DVD compares to prior SD-DVD releases.

#7 of 25 Demise

Demise

    Auditioning

  • 13 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 07 2007

Posted January 16 2008 - 03:34 PM

If this is a nice transfer (sounds like it is) I'll have to pick it up. There are so few films of this vintage available in hi-def.

#8 of 25 Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

    Screenwriter

  • 1,868 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 07 1998

Posted January 17 2008 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hillenbrand
The studio is faster than I am! Was going to cancel all HD DVD orders after Warner's move to Blu-ray.Posted Image This title has been listed at High-Def Digest for release on February 19, 2008 and I ordered it back in November 2007.

Amazon.com sent me an e-mail that it is in stock today, my Visa has been charged and was sent free two day UPS.

Kind of glad it's coming.Posted ImagePosted Image

Paul
Got the same email this morning from Amazon also! Delivery is tomorrow Jan. 18th, so sometime after I watch "Road to Rio", ... I can comment on the HD DVD PQ vs. my Bob Hope Film Collection "Road To Rio" (1947) SD DVD!

I never had a copy of "Road to Bali" (1952) SD DVD, so I can't comment on that but I'm looking forward to seeing it!!!

I love Bob Hope's movies, and can't wait to received "My Favorite Brunette / Son of Paleface" [HD DVD] sometime in March.

CLASSIC HD DVD'S I ALREADY OWN:
---------------------------------------------
1) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
2) Casablanca (1942)
3) Forbidden Planet (1956) Ultimate Tin Box
4) Rio Bravo (1959)
5) The Searchers (1956)
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#9 of 25 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

    Screenwriter

  • 1,213 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 16 1998
  • Real Name:Paul Hillenbrand

Posted January 19 2008 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kriefall
I watched "Road to Rio" last night ..... The transfer seems to have come from a good print (the UCLA archives are mentioned at the start of the disc) and detail is good. Contrast could be a little better, perhaps, but it's otherwise quite good. I hadn't seen these movies before, so I can't comment on how the HD-DVD compares to prior SD-DVD releases.
Scott describes "Road to Rio" as I experienced it on my 110" screen.Posted Image Preserved, but not a costly refurbishment. 1080P Detail is very good, down to the cross-square weave patterns on Bob Hope's suit and I would compare the contrast of this B&W film to late-night 50's B&W television; not being at all a complaint.Posted Image I've viewed actual B&W 16mm Hollywood films with comparable contrast. The scratches and blemishes are few and far between and it seems like the UCLA archive copy has not been used much and carefully preserved all these years.

At this posting, just looking briefly at sample portions of "The Road to Bali" also on this HD DVD, I would describe colors as vibrant and the contrast to correctly compliment the picture. The portions I've viewed, have had the same 1080P detail look of "The Road to Rio".Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection


#10 of 25 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted January 19 2008 - 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hillenbrand
Scott describes "Road to Rio" as I experienced it on my 110" screen.Posted Image Preserved, but not a costly refurbishment. 1080P Detail is very good, down to the cross-square weave patterns on Bob Hope's suit and I would compare the contrast of this B&W film to late-night 50's B&W television; not being at all a complaint.Posted Image I've viewed actual B&W 16mm Hollywood films with comparable contrast. The scratches and blemishes are few and far between and it seems like the UCLA archive copy has not been used much and carefully preserved all these years.

At this posting, just looking briefly at sample portions of "The Road to Bali" also on this HD DVD, I would describe colors as vibrant and the contrast to correctly compliment the picture. The portions I've viewed, have had the same 1080P detail look of "The Road to Rio".Posted Image

Paul

Wow thanks Paul. I'll be ordering this one right away.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#11 of 25 Gary Miller

Gary Miller

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 68 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 06 2002

Posted January 28 2008 - 01:46 AM

This is the first title I've come across that restricts HD play through a component connection. (I have a Toshiba HD-AX1. Even with the latest 2.4 update, I still had frequent image freeze issues. Last week, I gave up in exasperation and switched to a component connection...so far, the freeze problems have disappeared. My understanding is that I sacrifice the player's upconversion capabilities. I guess I'll have to rely on my Blu-ray player for standard DVD upconversion).

Are there any other HD DVD or Blu-ray titles that restrict HD play this way?

#12 of 25 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

    Screenwriter

  • 1,213 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 16 1998
  • Real Name:Paul Hillenbrand

Posted January 28 2008 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Miller
This is the first title I've come across that restricts HD play through a component connection. (I have a Toshiba HD-AX1. Even with the latest 2.4 update, I still had frequent image freeze issues. Last week, I gave up in exasperation and switched to a component connection...so far, the freeze problems have disappeared. My understanding is that I sacrifice the player's upconversion capabilities. I guess I'll have to rely on my Blu-ray player for standard DVD upconversion).

Are there any other HD DVD or Blu-ray titles that restrict HD play this way?
Posted Image

Don't quite understand what is happening Gary.
The HD DVD plays smoothly in my Toshiba A1 via the HDMI port in my theater room and just tried the disc on my XBOX 360 add-on via component out and it is also playing smoothly, viewed on my 32" widescreen in the bedroom. Component out is 1080i on the XBOX, so I don't understand where the problem ("restrict HD play back"?) starts for you.Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection


#13 of 25 Gary Miller

Gary Miller

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 68 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 06 2002

Posted January 28 2008 - 02:47 PM

Perhaps I jumped to conclusions Paul...or I don't understand the HD-DVD platform as well as I thought I did. However, the disc displays all of the icon characteristics of standard DVD (scan, pause, chapter skip). Also, the resume from stop actually works, which is one of the minor advantages of standard DVD. More to the point, I've yet to see the resume feature work with any other hi-def disc.

I just checked the display icon and it does, in fact, indicate 1080i output from this disc. Sorry for any confusion.

#14 of 25 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted January 29 2008 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Miller
Perhaps I jumped to conclusions Paul...or I don't understand the HD-DVD platform as well as I thought I did. However, the disc displays all of the icon characteristics of standard DVD (scan, pause, chapter skip). Also, the resume from stop actually works, which is one of the minor advantages of standard DVD. More to the point, I've yet to see the resume feature work with any other hi-def disc.

I just checked the display icon and it does, in fact, indicate 1080i output from this disc. Sorry for any confusion.

The resume feature works on HDM that has been authored in basic mode. Many early blu-ray releases are basic and will do the resume feature.

Most HD DVDs have been authored in the advanced mode which is why most won't resume. Its also why they take quite a while to load when you first put the disc in. A fair amount of data has to be loaded into the player's memory.

Road to Rio/Road To Bali seems to have been authored in basic mode with a fairly basic DVD style menu.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#15 of 25 Gary Miller

Gary Miller

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 68 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 06 2002

Posted January 29 2008 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Doug..learned something new.

#16 of 25 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,600 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:16 PM

I can handle basic mode as long as it looks good. My wife saw it sitting in my shopping cart at Amazon and went ahead with the order, so I hope to be able to check it out soon.

#17 of 25 george kaplan

george kaplan

    Executive Producer

  • 13,064 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 14 2001

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:18 PM

That's horrible news about the resume function. It is something I rely on heavily. I can only hope that future players will figure out how to resume with things authored in 'advanced mode'.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#18 of 25 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted January 29 2008 - 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kaplan
That's horrible news about the resume function. It is something I rely on heavily. I can only hope that future players will figure out how to resume with things authored in 'advanced mode'.

I agree. I'm not sure what the deal is with advanced mode HDM discs not doing resume. It's really something they should work on.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#19 of 25 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,600 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 29 2008 - 06:08 PM

Don't forget that you can bookmark most discs to get a "resume like" feature.

#20 of 25 george kaplan

george kaplan

    Executive Producer

  • 13,064 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 14 2001

Posted January 29 2008 - 11:23 PM

Don't forget that you can bookmark most discs to get a "resume like" feature.
I'll have to look into that (I want to be careful not to hijack this thread, since I own blu-ray not hd-dvd, but it was here that the 'resume play' issue came up).
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow