Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Re: 101 DALMATIANS: This is a Platinum Edition...?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,969 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 12:14 PM

No commentary, no trailers, just a bunch of kid-oriented material such as what the HARRY POTTER series has offered us... Can't believe there isn't enough material to justify a commentary (perhaps in part by the still very much alive Rod Taylor). Shame. THE JUNGLE BOOK was so complete a special edition (except for a trailer) that this offering seems like an after-thought. The Platinum Series really is inconsistent, but the majority of titles really offer the Disney collector some meat. This one...

#2 of 32 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:10 AM

I'm waiting to see how Disney will present these films on BR.

I'm hoping for a more collector oriented approach, hopefully without the kid features and more in tune with their earlier laserdisc releases. My only concern is in regards to their inconsistent revisionist approach to color timing these features as well as soundtrack options which might even fare worse in high-def to comply with the perceived notion of the vastly improved digital contempo look of what's being released and expected. I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see a purely adult collection of all the classic titles released in a set with original artwork and the works. For now, I've stopped picking up the Platinum titles. I think Sleeping Beauty was my last purchase.

#3 of 32 Roy Batty

Roy Batty

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 05:46 AM

I, for one, found the JUNGLE BOOK quite lacking too. They have been dumbing down their classic releases for quite some time now, both the Platinum and the vault classics Special Edition series, not to mention dubious aspect ratios and controversial color timing readjustments, and future does not bode well...

I am afraid that those SNOW WHITE, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST or even THE LION KING type of releases are a thing from the past, and I really doubt we will be seeing them back.

Posted Image

#4 of 32 Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 06:46 AM

Any reviews of the 101 Dalmations platinum edition yet? Looking forward to HTF's review.

#5 of 32 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:32 AM

Good news is we finally are getting trailers/ tv spots and radio spots on 101 Dalmatians which all there most recent DVD releases were omitting them. That is a plus. But yeah nothing can compre to the artwork we could get on teh old laserdisc sets. I guess those days are over.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#6 of 32 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,995 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:43 AM

the trivia track for fans was pretty interesting.

the trivia for families, i didnt look at.

facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 32 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.B
Any reviews of the 101 Dalmations platinum edition yet? Looking forward to HTF's review.

Yeah. I've got the last release. I'd need to know that this new one is lightyears ahead in PQ/SQ before I'd double-dip in SD.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 32 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,655 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 03 2008 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.B

It should be up tomorrow.

#9 of 32 Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted March 04 2008 - 12:10 PM

I'm just waiting to see if they screw up the transfer like they did with the Jungle Book and so many other movies. Unfortunately, as we found out with that release, online reviews can't be trusted at all as far as picture quality goes, because not a single review I could find anywhere online even mentioned the horrific transfer problems. I hate having to buy the disc to find out if it's messed up or not.

#10 of 32 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 04 2008 - 03:19 PM

The "transfer problems" on Jungle Book are insignificant next to The Little Mermaid's transfer and its sound mix. I'm waiting for a review as well.
Review up on DVDTalk: DVD Talk Review: 101 Dalmations - 2-Disc Platinum Edition. They say the transfer is miles ahead of the old and that the extras are better balanced than on some other Platinum titles.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 32 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,995 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 04 2008 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cheese
I hate having to buy the disc to find out if it's messed up or not.
rent it, blockuster has it.

facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 32 James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 04 2008 - 10:14 PM

I though the UK Little Mermaid DVD wasn't too bad, compared to what I was expecting from reviews of the Region one. Anyone done any comparisons?

#13 of 32 Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted March 05 2008 - 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
The "transfer problems" on Jungle Book are insignificant next to The Little Mermaid's transfer and its sound mix. I'm waiting for a review as well.
Review up on DVDTalk: DVD Talk Review: 101 Dalmations - 2-Disc Platinum Edition. They say the transfer is miles ahead of the old and that the extras are better balanced than on some other Platinum titles.

I agree that there are problems with the transfer (and moreso with the sound mix) on the Little Mermaid, but there aren't thick, ugly lines throughout the solid colors during the entirety of the film on the Little Mermaid, which puts it way ahead of the butchering they did to Jungle Book.

And a DVD Talk review doesn't mean a thing to me, since they said all the previously-messed up Disney films looked great too.

#14 of 32 Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 05 2008 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Yeah. I've got the last release. I'd need to know that this new one is lightyears ahead in PQ/SQ before I'd double-dip in SD.

It is. IMO

#15 of 32 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 05 2008 - 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cheese
I agree that there are problems with the transfer (and moreso with the sound mix) on the Little Mermaid, but there aren't thick, ugly lines throughout the solid colors during the entirety of the film on the Little Mermaid, which puts it way ahead of the butchering they did to Jungle Book.

And a DVD Talk review doesn't mean a thing to me, since they said all the previously-messed up Disney films looked great too.
Just passing the info along. I don't put a lot of stock in DVD Talk's reviews in terms of picture quality either. As for the colour banding issues on The Jungle Book, I went over the release with a fine tooth come and saw no issues. The conclusion I reached was that it was something funky going on in the upscaling processors, as I'm currently using a 480i 16:9 display.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#16 of 32 Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 01:28 AM

One Hundred and One Dalmations looks great. And the documentary is great too. I learned what I've always wanted to know about the Xerox process and the visual style of the film.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#17 of 32 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 06 2008 - 01:49 AM

Since people keep posting comments in this thread, I just thought I'd let everyone know--in case they missed it--that Matt's review has been posted for awhile now.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#18 of 32 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted March 07 2008 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger
Good news is we finally are getting trailers/ tv spots and radio spots on 101 Dalmatians which all there most recent DVD releases were omitting them. That is a plus. But yeah nothing can compre to the artwork we could get on teh old laserdisc sets. I guess those days are over.

The bad news is that they've started having the Disney Channel stars re-record some of the songs. The Curella De Vil one on this disc is chilling, and not in a good way Posted Image.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#19 of 32 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,008 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 07 2008 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swindoll
The bad news is that they've started having the Disney Channel stars re-record some of the songs. The Curella De Vil one on this disc is chilling, and not in a good way Posted Image.

I don't even watch those. They angry up the blood.

For what it's worth, the laserdisc in 1998 also claimed that 1.33:1 was the OAR.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#20 of 32 Bo_Darville

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted March 09 2008 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
For what it's worth, the laserdisc in 1998 also claimed that 1.33:1 was the OAR.
is another source claiming otherwise?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow