What's new

Re: 101 DALMATIANS: This is a Platinum Edition...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No commentary, no trailers, just a bunch of kid-oriented material such as what the HARRY POTTER series has offered us... Can't believe there isn't enough material to justify a commentary (perhaps in part by the still very much alive Rod Taylor). Shame. THE JUNGLE BOOK was so complete a special edition (except for a trailer) that this offering seems like an after-thought. The Platinum Series really is inconsistent, but the majority of titles really offer the Disney collector some meat. This one...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting to see how Disney will present these films on BR.

I'm hoping for a more collector oriented approach, hopefully without the kid features and more in tune with their earlier laserdisc releases. My only concern is in regards to their inconsistent revisionist approach to color timing these features as well as soundtrack options which might even fare worse in high-def to comply with the perceived notion of the vastly improved digital contempo look of what's being released and expected. I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see a purely adult collection of all the classic titles released in a set with original artwork and the works. For now, I've stopped picking up the Platinum titles. I think Sleeping Beauty was my last purchase.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I, for one, found the JUNGLE BOOK quite lacking too. They have been dumbing down their classic releases for quite some time now, both the Platinum and the vault classics Special Edition series, not to mention dubious aspect ratios and controversial color timing readjustments, and future does not bode well...

I am afraid that those SNOW WHITE, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST or even THE LION KING type of releases are a thing from the past, and I really doubt we will be seeing them back.

:frowning:

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Any reviews of the 101 Dalmations platinum edition yet? Looking forward to HTF's review.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Good news is we finally are getting trailers/ tv spots and radio spots on 101 Dalmatians which all there most recent DVD releases were omitting them. That is a plus. But yeah nothing can compre to the artwork we could get on teh old laserdisc sets. I guess those days are over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the trivia track for fans was pretty interesting.

the trivia for families, i didnt look at.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah. I've got the last release. I'd need to know that this new one is lightyears ahead in PQ/SQ before I'd double-dip in SD.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just waiting to see if they screw up the transfer like they did with the Jungle Book and so many other movies. Unfortunately, as we found out with that release, online reviews can't be trusted at all as far as picture quality goes, because not a single review I could find anywhere online even mentioned the horrific transfer problems. I hate having to buy the disc to find out if it's messed up or not.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The "transfer problems" on Jungle Book are insignificant next to The Little Mermaid's transfer and its sound mix. I'm waiting for a review as well.
Review up on DVDTalk: DVD Talk Review: 101 Dalmations - 2-Disc Platinum Edition. They say the transfer is miles ahead of the old and that the extras are better balanced than on some other Platinum titles.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
I though the UK Little Mermaid DVD wasn't too bad, compared to what I was expecting from reviews of the Region one. Anyone done any comparisons?

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

I agree that there are problems with the transfer (and moreso with the sound mix) on the Little Mermaid, but there aren't thick, ugly lines throughout the solid colors during the entirety of the film on the Little Mermaid, which puts it way ahead of the butchering they did to Jungle Book.

And a DVD Talk review doesn't mean a thing to me, since they said all the previously-messed up Disney films looked great too.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just passing the info along. I don't put a lot of stock in DVD Talk's reviews in terms of picture quality either. As for the colour banding issues on The Jungle Book, I went over the release with a fine tooth come and saw no issues. The conclusion I reached was that it was something funky going on in the upscaling processors, as I'm currently using a 480i 16:9 display.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
One Hundred and One Dalmations looks great. And the documentary is great too. I learned what I've always wanted to know about the Xerox process and the visual style of the film.

-Reagan

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

The bad news is that they've started having the Disney Channel stars re-record some of the songs. The Curella De Vil one on this disc is chilling, and not in a good way ;).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I don't even watch those. They angry up the blood.

For what it's worth, the laserdisc in 1998 also claimed that 1.33:1 was the OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks