Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic BD30 or Samsung BDP1400 ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 04:02 AM

I was really leaning towards the BD30, but the price difference between it and the Samsung. And some of the negative comments about the BD30 DVD upconversion. Not sure I really care about the profile stuff. But the all codecs bitstream is a must.

IS the upconversion on the BD30 that bad and is the Samsung that much better then the Panasonic?

Or in general is the BD30 worth the extra for the Blu-ray content?

I have to decide today as my 12% Best Buy coupon expires and was all set on the Panny. But I am having those last minute doubts.

Thanks

#2 of 3 Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 11:37 PM

I would suggest the Sharp BD-HP20. Decodes all advanced codecs except DTS-HD (analog or HDMI). Excellent picture and sound quality and I haven't experienced any problems yet (knock on wood). Read the Samsung 1400 threads and there seem to be many problems associated with that machine.
--------
Ted K.

#3 of 3 Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Ted,

Ended up getting the Panasonic. I read the posts you mentioned and other then price and DVD upconversion the Panny was always mentioned as being better.

DTS-HD was a must for me that is why no Sharp on my short list. Enjoy it!