Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic BD30 or Samsung BDP1400 ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 04:02 AM

I was really leaning towards the BD30, but the price difference between it and the Samsung. And some of the negative comments about the BD30 DVD upconversion. Not sure I really care about the profile stuff. But the all codecs bitstream is a must.

IS the upconversion on the BD30 that bad and is the Samsung that much better then the Panasonic?

Or in general is the BD30 worth the extra for the Blu-ray content?

I have to decide today as my 12% Best Buy coupon expires and was all set on the Panny. But I am having those last minute doubts.

Thanks

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 11:37 PM

I would suggest the Sharp BD-HP20. Decodes all advanced codecs except DTS-HD (analog or HDMI). Excellent picture and sound quality and I haven't experienced any problems yet (knock on wood). Read the Samsung 1400 threads and there seem to be many problems associated with that machine.
--------
Ted K.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Ted,

Ended up getting the Panasonic. I read the posts you mentioned and other then price and DVD upconversion the Panny was always mentioned as being better.

DTS-HD was a must for me that is why no Sharp on my short list. Enjoy it!