Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Walmart will kill HD-DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 02:58 PM

In a recent thread someone reported what he thought there were gonna be some great prices on HD-DVDs of all the Harry Potter movies... It was probably a mistake but he thought the movies were gonna be going for 14.99 each. I figured what the Hell, I'll take a look.

I looked. And looked some more. Finally I asked a couple of clerks that were standing around if they sold HD-DVDs and where were they. One of them pointed to a locked case at an endcap that stood about 3 feet tall. They were all Blu-rays. I pointed this out and they looked stumped. I told them that Blu-rays were blue on the top and HD-DVDs were red. Another clerk said they didn't have any.

Then a manager type said that they did have some and to follow him. As I followed, I asked about the Harry Potter movies and he said that it was only released in Blu-ray. I said "Really? I just bought an HD-DVD of Order of the Phoenix at Circuit City yesterday" He looked a little miffed that I corrected him and then he said, "Well, we didn't get any."

He then took me around the far side of a counter where most of their photo finishing stuff was. It looked like they were doing remodeling around it and I never would have gone over there. He pointed to a dark locked case under the counter. Sure enough, there were some HD-DVDs in there. They were all stacked on their sides and were kind of hard to see. I asked, how do I browse thru them? How much are they? The manager said if I pointed to what I wanted to see, he would remove it, scan it and then tell me the price.

I said, "Um, ok... goodbye"

#2 of 60 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,896 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 03:46 PM

YMMV. My nearby Wal-Mart had Harry Potter 1-4 (HD DVD and BD) for $14.77 each, and HP 5 for $21.77 (either format). They were in their respective glass display cases and well organized and the title/price was labelled properly.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 04:01 PM

Wow! I guess I'll have to up the mileage and try a few more! My feeling after leaving the one earlier tonight was these guys are not even trying to sell the stuff!

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted December 12 2007 - 05:18 PM

While I don't normally shop at Wal*Mart, my wife wanted the Eagles' latest for Christmas so I had to go to one and I took a peek at their hi-def media section. Lots of titles of each type, conveniently located next to each other on an open rack (nothing locked behind any glass--haven't seen that anywhere, actually) BUT prices were NOT cheap. Looks like Wal*Mart hasn't gotten the memo about dollar parity yet.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#5 of 60 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,239 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 12 2007 - 05:19 PM

Ric: Were you in the Brunswick Wal-Mart for this debacle?

In East Greenbush, they actually now have an entire endcap ( Posted Image )which is divvied up between HD-DVD and BD titles. The Potter movies were there in full force Tuesday night. They have another section of HD media located behind glass near the DVD checkout area.

But as I reported in the RoundUp...I didn't find prices anywhere near as nice as what Patrick found. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:00 AM

My family and I are "Target people". I'm almost as diametrically opposed to the typical Wal-Mart demographic as you can get. However, last week I found myself in one of their stores, and, no lie, I walked around their electronic section for ten minutes before I found their HDM section.

It was on an end-cap, but every release had these horrible anti-theft protection devices strapped to them. There were these hockey puck-sized circles with cabeling wrapped around each disc, which sometimes was wound so tight it cut into the packaging itself.

I have found the lack of standardization at Wal-Mart to be my biggest complaint with their stores, which is saying a lot because their cleanliness and typical clientele leave a lot to be desired too in my opinion. But I can never tell whether I will find HDM in any given Wal-Mart store I walk into to, and, if I do, what price they will be. With Target, not only do I know where to find it, I can almost recite what titles they'll have and how much they'll cost.

Anyway, I doubt Wal-Mart will "kill" HD DVD or any HDM format for that matter, but from what I've seen of them first-hand, they're not going to do them any favors either.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:08 AM

I have not checked Wal~Mart here in Peachtree but Target and BB both have all the Harry Potter movies for $24.99 each. I bought Order of the Phoenix for full price but didn't buy the rest. If I could find the others for $15 each, I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:16 AM

My small town Wal-Mart finally has a HDM endcap. It's about 70% Blu-ray and 30% HD DVD. The prices are terrible with the exception of the Harry Potter movies, which are selling for $18 each.

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:39 AM

Thankfully, the Wal*Mart HD sections in Canada are much more sensible. They use a custom gondola with LCD displays on two of the four sides. One display shows a Blu-Ray promo and is directly above the BDs, while the other shows an HD DVD promo with a similar setup. The remaining two sides are filled with media. Granted, with the average Wal*Mart shopper it doesn't take long for the media to get all jumbled up (I'll reserve comment on the average Wal*Mart employee), but it seems to be a workable solution.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 04:54 AM

I'm in Moncton, NB, Canada. My local Wal-Marde doesn't even carry HD anymore. The last one I was able to buy was Children of Men HD-DVD. After that they said they didn't carry it anymore. Luckily, FutureShop is right across the street.

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 13 2007 - 06:18 AM

My local Super Walmart (Boynton Beach, FL) still has BD and HD-DVD (at least they did a week ago!), but they've been moved to a less prominent, and smaller, rack in the back of the electronics section.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 06:56 AM

These type of threads would pop up all the time on AVS forum before the posting rules were changed. There would constantly be a new topic where someone would walk into store "X" and find the HD/BD selection lacking or "hidden', and proclaim that format dead based on this observation. It sucks that your local Wal Mart has decided to stock their merchandise that way, but it's probably not the same story across the country. Here in Canada (Winnipeg actually) all of our local Wal Marts have adopted the new HD/BD display, which has HD-DVD on one side and BD on the other, along with HD displays extolling the virtues of each format. They still don't have a great selection (or prices), but these displays are all located at the front of the AV department.

A sad side note on these displays; while they are nicely set up and quite informative, the players that they have prominently stacked within the displays are all cheap no-name SD DVD up-converters. Nowhere on the sales info do they state that you need a dedicated HD/BD player for these films. It makes it look like all you need to play these shiny new discs are these cheap-ass $40 players. None of our local WMs have any of the cheap Venture HD players in stock (despite being advertised in flyers). The only HD/BD players they sale are the PS3 and 360 HD add-on (located only in the video game section). There are going to be a lot of pissed off consumers come X-Mas morn.

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 13 2007 - 09:42 AM

I've never seen players stacked in the display along with the discs. Mind you, as you've said, the only BD player Wal*Mart carries is the PS3, but local Wal*Marts are beginning to stock the new Venturer HD DVD player, and this may begin to be displayed with the HD DVDs, given its low price point.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   London Lawson

London Lawson

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 10:38 AM

Both Wal-Marts in my town have an endcap on the dvd section that is equally divided between BR and HD-DVD

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 02:07 PM

If Wal-Mart becomes the standard by how Hi-Def Media is judged, then we're all in trouble.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ric: Were you in the Brunswick Wal-Mart for this debacle?

Mike, it was the one across from Crossgares Mall!

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:03 PM

Holy crap - all the local Wal-Marts are selling the first four Potters for $18.96 (still a great price). If stores in larger markets are selling them for $15, I now have one more stop to add to my shopping trip on KC Saturday. I picked up Order of The Phoenix for 26.99 at Hastings today - looks and sounds beautiful.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
If Wal-Mart becomes the standard by how Hi-Def Media is judged, then we're all in trouble.

I would put a laughing smiley here if it weren't so sadly true.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#19 of 60 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,239 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 13 2007 - 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Easton
Mike, it was the one across from Crossgates Mall!

I realize this could be said for many a Wal-Mart...but that one seems to be especially dicey when it comes to their electronics department....

Ric: Check your PM.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 02:09 PM

WM will kill HD DVD like it killed LCD
&
WM will kill BD like it killed Plasma.

How's WallyWorld done with SD DVD's?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".