What's new

What illnesses can coke fix? (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

From my experience, it helps to drink coke when I have a headache or sore throat. What ingredient in coke would do this?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you have any level of addiction to caffeine -- to the point where you get headaches if you haven't had any in awhile, then the Coke would certainly help.

Additionally, I've been told that the reason Excedrin contains caffeine is to boost one's metabolism so it will process the pain medicine more quickly. Therefore, if you drink Coke with Advil or Tylenol I would think it could have the same effect.

Regarding the sore throat, I would think that is just placebo effect. Perhaps it provides a temporary soothing sensation, but I doubt it's anything more than that. Next time you have a sore throat I would recommend a hot tea (green tea, earl grey, etc) and see how the results compare.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I can give you one thing that is true of coke or any other caffeinated beverage. If you are a cluster migraine sufferer as a result of head/brain damage, then caffeine causes a temporary rush of blood flow, your pulse quickens, which in some cases can help significantly slow or delay the heaviest portion of a migraine.

This isn't just coke though.. most of us who are such sufferers keep Immitrix around as a better solution (I have a prescription for the shots, others use different versions). But if I am not near a shot or have no pills right on hand, I would immediately grab the most caffeine heavy thing I could find and chug as fast as possible. No, it doesn't work as well as the drugs, but it does make a substantial difference.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Honestly, I think I am addicted to caffeine. Can't remember a day for a while where I haven't had at least a can.

(Working at a grocery store, I have access to as much soda as one human can possibly consume in his life time. A 50 cent soda machine just makes it easier to have a can of soda in my hands all the time)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Caffeine is a vascular-dilator...dilates the blood vessels, and it also can act as a diuretic...makes you pee. It cant fix a damn thing. But it tastes OK, Mt. Dew is better of course.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

Exact same situation here. Caffiene can help headaches. That is why numerous migraine/headache medications contain caffiene....Cafergot, Fiorinal/Fioricet, et.al.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe it actually contracts blood vessels, rather than dilate them, which I am guessing means to expand them. The contraction of the blood vessels around the brain tends to help relieve a lot of headaches. You will notice otc headache medicines have caffeine in them and this is why.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
You are right on thst john.
imitrex constricts the tiny blood vessels.
this is the desired effect of that drug pertaining to migraines.

Didnt work for me tho' i had to use a different drug.
i havent had a migraine in a few years so idont remember
what i took.

It was a capsule and blue or green.

Bobby, try no caffeine for 2 dsys and see what fun your
head provides you.
:P

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Cola syrup (or flat Coke) has been used for a long time for upset stomachs. It has worked for me in mild cases.

I can attest to the addictive nature of caffeine. I drank A LOT of diet coke (about 6 liters a day). When I got tinnitis my doctor said I had to give it up. I suffered withdrawal for about 3 days. My muscles ached badly; at 3 in the morning I had to walk around the block to relieve the discomfort. My wife thought this was particularly amusing!

mylan

Screenwriter
I believe Coke was invented as a hangover cure,lets hope you are not having that problem! The caffeine will ease the headache and the carbonation will settle the stomach. I love Coke too but stick to diet most of the time. Things like sweet tea and cokes go right to my waistline.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I've stopped drinking soft drinks for a year and a half now. I was drinking on average about three cans per day until I started thinking about how all that sugar, syrup and caffeine may be affecting my health. Surprisingly, the withdrawal symptoms weren't that bad. But today if I try to drink even half a can, it gives me a splitting headache for the rest of the day! Ouch! So as far as a cure for headaches is concerned, I'll pass. :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
As a migraine sufferer, I walk a fine line. In order to avoid the onset of a migraine, It helps to avoid caffeine. But when the first migraine symptoms arise, caffeine -- and lots of it -- really helps to ease the pain, or even, if I act early enough, to avoid the pain symptoms of the migraine almost completely.

Diet Coke is my medicine of choice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

acid?

you mean the citric acid which is just orange or lemon jiuce.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Carbonic acid, from the carbonated water. The stuff that dissolves a tooth overnight according to popular legend.

Wikipedia says it is a "weak" acid, so maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

That is not true...exactly anyway. Caffeine is a catalyst to Aspirin and does cause it to work faster...but it is not because it boosts the body's metabolism really. It is a simply a chemical catalyst to Aspirin. I do not believe caffeine is a chemical catalyst for Ibuprofen or Aceteminophen. It has been a while since my biochemistry days.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Coke helps me with mild upset stomachs sometimes. Could be placebo effect, or could be something that happens to be in the Coke. I doubt there is anything unique to Coke compared to other soft drinks.

Speaking of placebo effect, there is an AMAZING podcast about that topic from Radiolab, which is broadcast on wnyc. All the other topics are fascinating as well.

CJ

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
kinda gross, but when I used to smoke I would have to drink a coke in the morning to clear all the gunk outta my throat. So if you have a sore throat with a lot of mucus built up, it can help loosen it.

Certain things I miss about smoking, that certainly isn't one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks