What's new

What illnesses can coke fix? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Chris,
Educate me, please.
I've been diagnosed by more than one neurologist as having "Cluster" headaches.
But, I'm not familiar with the term "cluster migraine".

EDIT:
OK, just found this at "Migraine Action Assoc."

"Cluster migraine: this is a misnomer, which is sometimes incorrectly applied when sufferers experience frequent migraine attacks over a short space of time."

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Caffeine does indeed enhance the effects of Ibuprofen, just as it does for Aspirin, which is good for me, because Aspirin and Aceteminophen have absolutely no effect on me as far as pain relief goes.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I love associations who like to pass their own thoughts.

No. A cluster migraine for those that have them, is something totally different. It is not a series of quick found migraines. That's something altogether different.

A cluster migraine is cluster headaches (suffering generally to one side of the face, runny nose, excruciating pain that can start at any time) which continues for some time. For those who are migraine sufferers due to head trauma, a cluster headache which for most comes on quickly and leaves in relative short time as a vascular headache can cause trauma sufferers prone to migraines to experience an elongated migraine, or multiple migraines in a short period of time.

This "double whammy" is absolutely debilitating for those who have had a head injury, who are the people most affected. A cluster-migraine type headache can begin and run for as long as 2-3 days, resulting in nausea, light sensitivity, painful neck muscles and vomiting.

It's all sorts of fun. And, if the term isn't 100% totally accepted, it's the way my neurosurgeon described it, and it's apt.

PhillJones

Second Unit

That sounds nasty. Have they put you on Serotonin uptake inhibitors?
My wife had transformed migraine syndrome at point and that's what they put her on.

PhillJones

Second Unit

That's an unusual explanation for it's active mechanism. One of my collaborators did some of the basic research that suggested that Sumatriptan (Immatrex) would work for migraines and the model that the drug was based on was that cortical spreading depression leads to hyper-excitation of the trigeminal nerve and Immitrex suppresses that input thereby preventing the swelling of the dura. The aura is the CSD propagating across the visual cortex and so patients take the drug at the aura stage and it prevents the pain phase of the migraine entirely in many cases. (We actually did optical imaging studies and watched this happening in real-time.) Once the pain phase begins, Immatrex is largely ineffective.

The corollary being that it doesn't work for patients who don't get the aura because they don't know when to take it.

I note that the vasoconstriction method is on wikipedia, I guess it's gaining popularity among clinicians because it's more in line with conventional models of cephalalgia but I honestly don't think it's the reason why Immatrex is the wonder drug it is for most people who take it. The reason I'm so confident about this is that other vasoconstrictors aren't nearly as effective as Sumatriptan and the window of effectiveness is powerful evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks