898 replies to this topic

#21 of 899 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,930 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 09 2007 - 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins
15 years!? It was made before my son was born and new he is showing it to me. Boy, that makes me feel old & out of touch!
Sorry, it's merely 10 years old, released in 1997: http://www.theforce.....oops/index.asp

Other Star Wars fun:

http://youtube.com/w....elated&search=
http://www.theforce.....wars/index.asp
http://www.theforce....ilms/duelfakes/

#22 of 899 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 10 2007 - 04:41 AM

This one just cracks me up everytime:

#23 of 899 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 05:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry, it's merely 10 years old, released in 1997
Whew! I feel much better now Posted Image. Thanks for the links. Posted Image

#24 of 899 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
This one just cracks me up everytime:

Quick and to the point.Posted Image

#25 of 899 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,169 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 10 2007 - 10:13 AM

i like the "battle at Kruger" clip.

i dont think i have ever seen anything like it before.
very rare event captured on film.

here
facebook.com/whotony

#26 of 899 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,511 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 10 2007 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
i like the "battle at Kruger" clip.

Tony: Shame on you for not providing A LINK! Posted Image

Had never seen that before. Wow! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#27 of 899 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,169 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 12:26 PM

i was going to later on.
i just wanted to get it in the topic.
facebook.com/whotony

#28 of 899 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 01:07 PM

Wow, that was amazing.

#29 of 899 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,511 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 10 2007 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_W_K
Wow, that was amazing.

Oh, not really that amazing, George.

I'm sure Tony would have posted the link eventually...

Posted Image

My wife has stopped watching Planet earth with me because of all the animals attacking other animals.
I might show her this video because of the "happy ending."

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#30 of 899 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,169 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 02:26 PM

yeah, i dont watch the stuff with animals killing other animals.

too many of my own pets in the house, cant deal with the death of wild ones either.
facebook.com/whotony

#31 of 899 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Oh, not really that amazing, George.

I'm sure Tony would have posted the link eventually...

Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
yeah, i dont watch the stuff with animals killing other animals.

too many of my own pets in the house, cant deal with the death of wild ones either.

I agree. I know it's part of nature and "only the strong survive" but I can't watch that stuff either.

#32 of 899 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 12:37 AM

While we are in a "wild life" mood:

Even though they are commercials.

#33 of 899 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley
This one is great!

Come on folks. I know some of you watch YouTube videos.......... Posted Image

You do know that this isn't just some random guy with an amazing voice don't you....? He's been exposded as an opera singer and has been in several operas etc...great voice, but not much of a big deal knowing his is indeed a trained singer.
WOOSAH!.

#34 of 899 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted August 11 2007 - 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S
You do know that this isn't just some random guy with an amazing voice don't you....? He's been exposded as an opera singer and has been in several operas etc...great voice, but not much of a big deal knowing his is indeed a trained singer.

No, I hadn't heard that. Where did you get that info?
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#35 of 899 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,169 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S

i found this link

http://www.liveleak....=c15_1182115773

and this

http://www.thesun.co....270918,00.html

but i had to do some digging to find them.
facebook.com/whotony

#36 of 899 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,231 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 11 2007 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like a phone salesman with a talent and the passion to pursue it to me. His self-financed traning doesn't make his story any less extraordinary to me.

#37 of 899 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted August 12 2007 - 02:13 AM

Isn't The Sun, like the National Enquirer? A rag paper? One of those that says E.T. raped my great grandmother? I did a search for Paul's name, after the post about being trained, and after quite a few pages, finally saw the LiveLeak.com page.

It would seem to me, that if it's true, and everyone was so outraged, there would be a LOT more about it. Seems like it would be all over the internet, instead of having to dig so deep to find something about it. Even if he has had some training, if he's no professional, he still deserves the recognition.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#38 of 899 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 06:42 AM

In about 2 seconds on Google I find the info about Paul Potts the amateur opera star...

Here's one Wiki write up:

Quote:
Paul Potts

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This page has been semi-protected from editing http: smilieid="5">

Paul Potts
Background information
BornOctober 13, 1970[1]
OriginBristol, England, United Kingdom
Occupation(s)Singer
Paul Potts (born 1970 in Bristol, England), from Port Talbot in South Wales, is a singer who became the winner of the first series of ITV's Britain's Got Talent, singing operatic arias and impressing the judges in all of his performances. At the time of his victory on Britain's Got Talent, he had been working in The Carphone Warehouse, but following his win he has been signed by the show's judge Simon Cowell to record an album. Potts has previously worked in unpaid opera productions from 1999 to 2003, however, a series of illnesses combined with a bicycle accident in 2003 brought an end to his amateur opera career.[2]
Contents

[hide]

Biography

Potts was raised in Fishponds, Bristol, by his father Roland, a bus driver, and mother, Yvonne, a supermarket cashier.[3] He has two brothers and one sister, and attended St. Mary Redcliffe school where he first developed his love of singing.[4]
In the interview that was broadcast before his performance in the semi-final, Paul stated that he had trouble with being bullied in school, and that it may have had an influence on his (lack of) self-confidence.
Until June 19, 2007 Potts worked as a manager at the Bridgend Carphone Warehouse, a mobile phone store around 8 miles from his home town. He was a Liberal Democrat councillor in Bristol from 1996 to 2003. [5] [6]

Previous work and experience

Potts is said to have first sung Opera in 1999 in a karaoke competition, dressed as Pavarotti, although he had said during the show that his voice had always been a source of solace in the past when bullied, so he would have sung from a younger age.[7] That same year he appeared in the Michael Barrymore talent show My Kind of Music. Although he did not win the competition, he won £8,000, which helped to pay for singing lessons in Italy. During his singing course he was selected as one of the best students, to sing in front of Luciano Pavarotti and Katia Ricciarelli, who were apparently impressed with his singing.
For the Bath, Somerset, based amateur company 'Bath Opera', he has performed on four occasions in the roles of Don Basilio (Marriage of Figaro), Don Ottavio (Don Giovanni), the title role in Verdi's Don Carlos, and as the Prince of Persia and also the Herald in Turandot.[8][9][7] He also sang for the Royal Philharmonic in front of an audience of 15,000 and toured Northern Italy as a soloist.[8]
Potts broke his collarbone in a bicycle accident in 2003, which prevented him from pursuing opera as a career. He says that this, as well as financial difficulties, led to him to enter the talent show, which he won and received the opportunity to perform in front of the Queen at the Royal Variety Performance 2007.

Britain's Got Talent

On June 9, 2007, Potts' audition of Simon Cowell's new search-for-a-star show Britain's Got Talent was televised on ITV in UK. The actual audition was held at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff on March 17, 2007[10]. Paul sang a condensed version of Giacomo Puccini's "Nessun dorma", which impressed the judges and received a standing ovation from the audience of 2,000 people. Potts' rendition of this has currently been viewed on video upload site YouTube tens of millions of times and exists among Youtube's all-time most viewed videos.
In the semi-final on June 14, 2007, Potts performed main verses of "Con te partirò" with praise from the audience and judges. He progressed to the final after receiving the highest public vote in that show.[11] He performed a full-length "Nessun dorma" for his final on June 17, 2007 as well as an encore after he won the competition. Potts defeated co-favourite with the bookmakers, Connie Talbot and received the highest public vote out of 2 million votes cast to win Britain's Got Talent, winning the chance to perform at Royal Variety Performance in front of the Queen.
In the United States, he was profiled on a National Public Radio programme called "Day to Day" on Friday June 15, 2007. NPR is a non-commercial network that reaches several million people every day in the U.S. On Monday, June 18, 2007, a commercial US Television network, NBC, highlighted Potts's victory on its broadcast network's NBC Nightly News and on its Cable news outlet MSNBC. Then on Thursday, June 21, 2007 he appeared live on NBC's programme Today.
During the programme there was some controversy[12]as to the 'undiscovered' nature of Potts' talent, who was portrayed on the show as simply a mobile phone salesman, whereas he had in fact appeared in four amateur opera productions and in a concert for the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra[8] and had plans for a summer tour with the Orchestra.[8] Potts responded to his critics saying that he had not claimed to be completely untutored, but had never performed any concert for pay, and was therefore amateur, and that the lessons he had received in Italy he had paid for from his own savings.[2]
On July 8, 2007, Potts performed at a Katherine Jenkins' concert at Margam Park, "Katherine In The Park". Jenkins extended an invitation for him to sing his rendition of "Nessun Dorma" at the concert.[13] On July 16, 2007, his debut album "One Chance" was released in UK, and on July 22, 2007, the album claimed the number one spot of BBC's Top 40 Album chart.

Personal life

Potts has been married since 2003 to Julie-Anne, whom he met in an Internet chat room. His remarkable rise to worldwide popularity may be attributed to his humble demeanor and "rags to riches" success. Sites, such as The Paul Potts Story,[14] have been created to discuss the human interest side of Paul Potts and why his story is so poignant to the people.

WOOSAH!.

#39 of 899 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted August 12 2007 - 06:44 AM

...oh and yes there is no doubt he is talented...it's just not QUITE as "amazing" as one would think if he were indeed just some guy off the street who worked at a cellphone store AND had an AMAZING natural hidden talent like this....instead though he indeed has trained and performed in the opera before.
WOOSAH!.

#40 of 899 OFFLINE   PhillJones

PhillJones

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted August 14 2007 - 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley
Isn't The Sun, like the National Enquirer? A rag paper? One of those that says E.T. raped my great grandmother?

They're not really the same sort of thing. The Sun claims to be a real newspaper, although many of their 'stories' are apocryphal celebrity gossip. They don't make up obviously nonsence stuff just for a laugh like supermarket tabloids do. They're low brow, highly political, and owned by the new proprietor of the Wall Street Journal.

They're a lot like the Boston Herald, and so I presume, other local newspapers with highly aggressive, politically minded editors.

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow