What's new

Favorite video game music (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll start with what I feel is some of the best music for games ever created. From the Donkey Kong Country series in which the music is as fun as the games:

I love this

What are some of your favorites?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A little bit off topic since it isn't precisely video game music, but one of my favorite game intros features the song Short Change Hero (which was of course popularized by the series Strike Back)...

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have played Skyrim a bunch over the years, and even though I have journeyed to Sovngarde many times, the music still really works well within the context of the game. The first time I experienced it was pretty memorable. Sounds sort of like something Basil Poledouris might have written for The Hunt for Red October...

- Walter.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
There was one GOOD thing about catching a Chocobo in the original Final Fantasy VII:
hqdefault.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This brings me back to the best days of the N64, and a great time in my life as well. Great memories, and this music brings back a nostalgia of a carefree life that I miss.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I remember beating this on my Gameboy, and just letting the end music play until the batteries died (it doesn't end). I was so proud, pretty tough game. Unfortunately the full music isn't on YouTube, just the first 2 minutes of "The Legend of Dracula" .

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Please pardon another sort of off topic post, but aside from the gameplay itself one of the absolute best things about some of the Williams' arcade games were their sound FX. Two that always stood out for me were:

and

(That Robotron 2084 play through video is insane. I loved Robotron 2084, but I really sucked at it. :) )

- Walter.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The game Old School Musical has some pretty great chiptune music in it, but it also has a lot of not-so-great chiptune music in it.

Most of the late 90s/early 2000s Square RPGs had excellent scores.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo

For an unusual choice, I love the introduction here. The many classic tv fans at the Home Theater Forum will understand.

What's odd with this one is not only had 30 years or so passed since the show left the air, but it only released in Japan for the Super Famicom (Although a localized version was made, it was never released and the prototype cart that is extant hasn't been dumped and made available).

It's not playable unless you know Japanese (It's a WWII tactical strategy game with a lot of text), but I still keep it on my Super Nt's SD card anyways (A fpga Super Nintendo clone system) since I'm a fan of the show and like the effort they put into doing a 16-bit rendition of the show's intro.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Absolutely. The Minibosses did a great rendition.

I'm guessing the music from the first Metroid nes game, was originally composed on a piano.

I looked through youtube and found some modern renditions of that old Metroid music, where the piano versions sounded the most "natural" in terms of playability structure and "flow". The note structure seemed less "natural" for a guitar (for example).

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I love Jake Kaufman's chiptune soundtrack to Shovel Knight. While the soundtrack is a musical homage to games like Castlevania and Mega Man, the themes are equally memorable, and are expanded upon and developed in ways that rival complex polyphonic classical music. Simply phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks