What's new

Greatest Video Game of all time: (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't disagree with Russell's assessment of Adventure on the 2600, but I would point out that Infocom's Zork predates it by around a year. For me, the original Infocom text adventures were pretty much immediate purchases whenever they streeted at one of the local computer / software stores. While I did not complete all of the titles, I played a rather large percentage of them.

Is a text adventure a video game? I think so.

- Walter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't disagree with Russell's assessment of Adventure on the 2600, but I would point out that Infocom's Zork predates it by around a year. For me, the original Infocom text adventures were pretty much immediate purchases whenever they streeted at one of the local computer / software stores. While I did not complete all of the titles, I played a rather large percentage of them.

Is a text adventure a video game? I think so.

- Walter
Fair point Walter, I considered them but was thinking "Mystery House" in particular since it had graphics. I ultimately landed on Adventure since it is a pure video game that has aspects still found in gaming today, where as the text adventures while sophisticated as hell in plot (and as tough!), the way they play is pretty much done as a genre. To a point. "Paradise Killer" will feel pretty familiar to anyone who played "Deja Vu" or my beloved "Sherwood Forest" on the Apple II.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Shadowgate for the NES was a staple of my childhood and I'm psyched for the sequel coming in a couple months. It's right up there with Deja Vu (same company).

The thing is, how do we call a game the greatest of all time? If you want to say Adventure or Zork or any other game was the originator, are we then forced to say Pong or Space Command is the greatest since they're the first games? Or are we going by overall quality, longevity, replayability, or something else? What if a game is incredibly polished and immaculate in every way but is a slog to play through more than once? Or maybe something like Rock Band where you can play it forever and keep getting better, but there's no end goal and every sequel was basically just an expansion pack?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, how do we call a game the greatest of all time? If you want to say Adventure or Zork or any other game was the originator, are we then forced to say Pong or Space Command is the greatest since they're the first games? Or are we going by overall quality, longevity, replayability, or something else? What if a game is incredibly polished and immaculate in every way but is a slog to play through more than once? Or maybe something like Rock Band where you can play it forever and keep getting better, but there's no end goal and every sequel was basically just an expansion pack?
Three is no right or wrong answer. Video games are heavily influenced by nostalgia, and completely subjective. I just googled this topic and found many GOAT lists:
Here is one that has Bloodborne at #4 out of 100. I like that!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I honestly don't believe in G.O.A.T anything. The idea.that there is one film, song, book or video game that is G.O.A.T is absurd, considering the amount of content that has been created since humans learned to scratch stories on to cave walls.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I considered them but was thinking "Mystery House" in particular since it had graphics

I certainly played my share of Sierra On-Line graphic adventures as well (original company name On-Line Systems). Mystery House and Wizard and the Princess were two favorites from that era. (If I had a nickel for every time I picked up the wrong rock and got bitten by that damn snake.)

- Walter.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Infocom made some.good games back.in the day.

Edit: There was.one I played a lot back in the day: Silent Service by Sid.Meier and published by Microprose. I'd like to see an updated version of that game released for modern PCs and consoles. However, sub simulations seem to be dead as far as video games go.

The only thing I hated about that game was the bug in it where you would just randomly sink with the message, "you hit a.mine".

Regardless, I put a lot of hours into that one. It came the closest to what it.must have felt like to be on a submarine in WW2.

688 Attack Sub wasn't bad either, but it never quite matched "Silent.Service" in game play, even though the graphics were a lot better.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I ever played Silent Service, but I recall logging a fair number of hours on 688 Attack Sub. In terms of simulators, the big MicroProse title for me was F-19 Stealth Fighter. ( Having read Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, the missions in Germany were always a lot of fun to fly. :) )

- Walter.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Which video game do you feel is the best game ever made?

I bounce around a lot with my top three games, so it is hard to pick the perfect game of those. But I think Resident Evil 2 will always be the best of the best. Better than the first game, and more intense. Such an engaging, creepy, wonderful survival horror (best) game.

So many perfect games were made in the 90's, hard to choose LOL!

I enjoyed the remake but was pretty disappointed that they dropped the true A-B scenarios and nonsensically had both Jill and Leon fighting the same enemies

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the remake but was pretty disappointed that they dropped the true A-B scenarios and nonsensically had both Jill and Leon fighting the same enemies
I've had a change of heart on remakes/reimagining of games. Never again for me.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
If we are talking games that have a story mode and non arcade, it has to be Red dead 2 for me. I've never been more captivated by a story. It's a story that is better than most films.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Last Of Us Part 1

Followed closely by The Last of Us Part 2

Nothing comes close to these two masterpieces of action, story and character development in my opinion.

Last edited:

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
The Uncharted series by Nasty Dog.
The adventures of Nathan Drake and his family came close to feeling cinematic in storytelling, humor, and drama.
Someday I hope to see a feature film created with a similar style of animation taken further towards photo-realism. After a theatrical run, you would buy a disc or download, and either play it as a linear feature, or explored it as an adventure game.
The combining of 2 entertainment formats could extend the health of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks