What's new

Greatest Video Game of all time: (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Which video game do you feel is the best game ever made?

I bounce around a lot with my top three games, so it is hard to pick the perfect game of those. But I think Resident Evil 2 will always be the best of the best. Better than the first game, and more intense. Such an engaging, creepy, wonderful survival horror (best) game.

So many perfect games were made in the 90's, hard to choose LOL!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Pong. Followed closely by Space Invaders.
The twitch arcade games of the 70's, and 80's are impossible to ignore as being perfect games. They are for the most part perfection, as most all of them were groundbreaking at the time. I personally think the original Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and Joust are examples of completely perfect (brilliant) design, and so much fun to play. Resident Evil 2 to me is the perfect game because it incorporates everything, I loved growing up--a horror movie wrapped in a video game. The story element put it one step farther than quarter munchers that I grew up playing in the arcades.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Which video game do you feel is the best game ever made?

Super Mario Bros. (NES)

I enjoy it just as much now as I did when it first came out, and no other game has offered me the pleasure I get from playing it.

If I’m allowed to say more than one, I’d put Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES) right up there with the original.

I’m really not much of a gamer and my skills don’t really translate beyond scrolling left to right games but those just never get old for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Super Mario Bros. (NES)

I enjoy it just as much now as I did when it first came out, and no other game has offered me the pleasure I get from playing it.

If I’m allowed to say more than one, I’d put Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES) right up there with the original.

I’m really not much of a gamer and my skills don’t really translate beyond scrolling left to right games but those just never get old for me.
My friend got the NES in 1986. I'll never forget playing Super Mario Brothers for the first time with him. We played it seemingly nonstop for months. It was so groundbreaking, cute/different, and addictive (secret warps). It is such an amazing game from graphics, and music to gameplay.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the criteria for something like this is really hard to pin down. I think Tetris is a basically perfect videogame because it can be endlessly transformed into something new and be fun but the original barebones version is still great. Personally, I love the Megaman X games, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus, Rock Band...but each game gives me something different.

According to Metacritic, the best game of all time by rating is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. If I was stuck with just 1 game to play for the rest of my life...I think that would probably be the one. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom are certainly bigger, but I think OoT is basically perfect as it is.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Tetris splits the difference between careful strategy and quick reflexes, solo or competitive play, and like other established classics, it lets you get into a flow state when everything (literally) falls into place. That's why the game works with or without scores: you're chasing that flow state, or a clear board. Although it feels good to slowly master a complex game with a rich story, Tetris welcomes beginners and masters alike. It's a perfect game.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Tetris splits the difference between careful strategy and quick reflexes, solo or competitive play, and like other established classics, it lets you get into a flow state when everything (literally) falls into place. That's why the game works with or without scores: you're chasing that flow state, or a clear board. Although it feels good to slowly master a complex game with a rich story, Tetris welcomes beginners and masters alike. It's a perfect game.
Tetris is a perfect game, however there are so many versions. I think the original NES is the true winner, although Magical Tetris for the 64 was very good too.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Tetris is a perfect game, however there are so many versions. I think the original NES is the true winner, although Magical Tetris for the 64 was very good too.
So true. Some of these are pretty cool. I might be one of the world's biggest fans of Tetrisphere (N64). And I still play Aqua Aqua (PS2).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Adventure on the 2600.

Ground zero for everything people like in open world gaming, and showed that video games could be more than quarter munchers and actually tell a story. Admittedly not much of a story, but it's there with a defined end. Also the first easter egg to reward exploration. Skyrim, Red Dead, they're all "Adventure" only MORE.

1692139743349.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks