Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

News on the Kubrick HD Box Set!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 04:27 AM

http://www.joblo.com/kubrick-hd-boxset

I'm looking forward to picking this up whenever it's released! Posted Image
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,313 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 04:59 AM

So is Full Metal Jacket being re-done? I know Warner goofed up the initial HD release.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 05:12 AM

Has Warner ever acknowledged there was a problem with FMJ? If not then we may be making some pretty big assumptions that it will be a new transfer. I can't attest to any issues with the PQ never having seen the discs. I avoided picking it up due to the mixed A/V reviews and the fact that Warner would probably do a boxed set (which they are).
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 05:14 AM

I think FMJ may be one of the 'bobbed' transfers, which presents bigger problems on large screens. That being said, I have this title in HD, and I thought that while it was a touch soft it looked a lot better than the SD version and was in the correct aspect ratio to boot.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 06:50 AM

I was hoping these would be released individually. I'm not keen on having to pay for Full Metal Jacket twice- and there is really only two movies in there I want anyway. FMJ looks fine to me. I haven't noticed any jaggies from interlaceing/bobbing. I think what got people worked up originally was they were expecting the movie to look as sharp and glossy as M:I III or Chronicles Of Riddick and when it didn't they screamed bloody murder.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 08:21 AM

Direct link to the interview with Leon Vitali;

http://www.thereeler....experience.php

and a quote..

"The only one they're not doing is Barry Lyndon. And I have no idea why not. That would look totally beautiful in HD."

Come on Warner! How can you not be chomping at the bit to get one of the most beautifully filmed productions of all time on HD??!!

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 09:04 AM

Not including Barry Lyndon is pretty lame. I wonder what reason there could possibly be? That said, it's certainly not my favorite Kubrick film, so I'm still very much looking forward to the set.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, that's pretty lame. BL is a sumptuous looking movie and a cincher to be more impressive in HD than FMJ. Lyndon is actually one of my favorite Kubrick films. Surprisingly bad call by Warner on this one.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 10:13 AM

Seems like Warner is releasing the big hitters out of the Kubrick library that will grab Joe Schmoe's attention first. I doubt that Joe Schmoe even cares about "Barry Lyndon." He however does care about "The Shining" and "Full Metal Jacket."
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Boycotting TDB Ever Since June 2nd 2007

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,313 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 10:29 AM

I wouldn't trust a company to necessarily acknowledge a problem in this particular case. But, it was reported by some insiders at AVS that FMJ was one of the few infamous "bobbed" transfers (including Perfect Storm and Fugitive) by Warner.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 10:47 AM

FMJ WILL BE a new remaster. However, I am unsure at this stage if there'll be SE content. The omission of both Barry Lyndon & Lolita from the Kubrick collection is disappointing. As many here have stated, BL would be outstanding in HD, and Lolita could potentially show joe public how well black/white films can benefit from HD. Sadly, the studios appear to be staying clear of black/white titles on both of the HD formats.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 12:57 PM

I hope Sony releases Dr. Strangelove on the same day.

The omission of Barry Lyndon really sucks as it's the best Kubrick film IMHO.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 02:09 AM

""The only one they're not doing is Barry Lyndon. And I have no idea why not. That would look totally beautiful in HD."

ARGH! Posted Image

I agree this film would look beautiful on HD. I love the film and want it in HD.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 09:25 AM

No Lyndon? Shame, as I was looking forward to that one the most. I'm still all over the boxset, but with Warner omitting a few movies this time they'll surely release a more complete box down the line. And the bastards know I'll buy this impending boxset and any future one too. I've already got FMJ, and will sell that shortly. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users