Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What would you do in a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   RobLe

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted March 04 2007 - 05:37 PM

Well, I've spent a considerable amount of time today thinking about how much fun could be had living in a post-apocalyptic world. I for one (I, of course, would have predicted this coming and thusly prepared accordingly) would wander around aimlessly, eventually claiming a sizable piece of land as my own. I would recruit a group of people to do my bidding my offering them essential items that only I possess. Or I could just pull a Kevin Costner and walk around performing Shakespeare and eventually delivering mail.

What would you do in a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 04 2007 - 09:59 PM

Become very heavily armed and seek to create a local government with elected officials. Hands off my garden.

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,554 posts

Posted March 04 2007 - 11:40 PM

Are we talking zombies? Or are we talking radioactive fallout from nuclear weapons? Or, even worse, we could be talking radioactive zombies. Either way, I'd get me a shotgun with lots of ammo.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 05 2007 - 12:04 AM

I'd gather essentials, food, etc. Then try to find a working vehicle and search all over for living family members. Perhaps we might set up a colony somewhere that would grow as other survivors found us. That would be essental for survival.

Now, if all my family is gone I'll probably find a dog and we'd travel around looking for buried canned food and females for me to have sex with. (see: A Boy & his Dog) Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 12:16 AM

I'd sit in my house and play computer games.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLe
Well, I've spent a considerable amount of time today thinking about how much fun could be had living in a post-apocalyptic world. I for one (I, of course, would have predicted this coming and thusly prepared accordingly) would wander around aimlessly, eventually claiming a sizable piece of land as my own. I would recruit a group of people to do my bidding my offering them essential items that only I possess. Or I could just pull a Kevin Costner and walk around performing Shakespeare and eventually delivering mail.
Fun? Much of what you describe is the reality in many parts of the world right now. You're only a plane ride away from the fun you seek.

--
H

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 01:36 AM

Likely die of radiation poisoning.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 01:42 AM

I think there is a big difference between third world and post-apocalypse.

So, assuming the bombs had fallen ala Jericho, or whatever... hmm. I would make my way to our old farm home, in the middle of nowhere Kansas, which I would assume would be fairly distant from the radioactive fallout.

Since that home still has Natural Gas Heat and Wood-Pump Furnace in the basement, I could help heat it in what may be incredibly cool winters. I would have pretty good access to weaponry, so I'd be OK there, and wildlife is fairly plentiful.

I'd need to get together as much weaponry as possible, and of course, I'd need to marry at least 8 or 10 times in order to start having genetic progeny that could repopulate the world, figuring part of them wouldn't survive.

Since I'd have access to a HAM radio and a diesel generator, I'd have to prepare a conversion pit to start converting biowaste into biodiesel. I could start providing power to things right away.

And a bunch of other crazy things Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,326 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 05 2007 - 01:58 AM

With the super powers I gained from the radiation, I would fly expediently around the world, turning back time to before the event. I would then stop the catastrophe before it happened.

Sorry to ruin your plans.

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 05 2007 - 02:02 AM

Kansas has to many air bases and old silos not to be someones ground zero Chris. Just because its flat and boring doesnt mean it cant be nuked.
If i were one of the unlucky few not to be vaporized id have to go find some leather clothing. As we all know the cool guys in the wasteland wear leather. I guess id also need a nitro fuel injected black car, so i can cream those stupid punks on their black motorcycles that think its smart to play chicken with a car!
I hope we get that Road Warror SE soon. Posted Image

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 02:24 AM

Quote:
Kansas has to many air bases and old silos not to be someones ground zero Chris. Just because its flat and boring doesnt mean it cant be nuked.

Oh, I figure parts of Kansas could be nuked.. but I think at this point in time it'd be a secondary target. But the one target worth having, near Leavenworth, is several hours away Posted Image Besides, this is living in a fictitious world, so I can supposed the apocalypse happens however I want Posted Image It's my apocalypse to plan, after all!
My Current DVD-Profiler

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 03:30 AM

After reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" I think I would just curl up and die quietly before things got too bad. That is one grim book.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 03:54 AM

"Borrow" a ocean cruiser and stay away from land for a long time ... or move to an oil rig and do quick ventures to land to grab supplies every month.

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 04:08 AM

Hmm. But maybe not Sealand, I hear there are pirates there already. (inside joke)
My Current DVD-Profiler

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
With the super powers I gained from the radiation, I would fly expediently around the world, turning back time to before the event. I would then stop the catastrophe before it happened.

Just did that last week - looks like it worked ! Did ya miss me ?

PS - the only food source still available after exposure to high-levels of radiation are Velveeta and hot dogs.... I suggest we all stock up in case this time-travel trick fails next time.

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
Much of what you describe is the reality in many parts of the world right now. You're only a plane ride away from the fun you seek.
I don't seem to recall that ride at Disney World.

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 05:52 AM

Someone better tell Costner and Miller they're being insensitive.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 07:56 AM

I'd put on my blue coveralls with the big yellow "13" on the back, and run around attempting to restore civilization and/or find something to purify drinking water.

Posted Image

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,326 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 05 2007 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Gunn
Just did that last week - looks like it worked ! Did ya miss me ?

Well, I took that loop off... Posted Image

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
But maybe not Sealand, I hear there are pirates there already.

1998 computer/real estate humor is timeless!
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow