What's new

AV Receiver guidance for novice (1 Viewer)

alan22153

Auditioning
Real Name
al
I need some help in selecting an AV Receiver. I just got a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma (720 dpi) for my basement, which will double as a home theatre and recreation room for my kids and myself. I’m not looking to get real elaborate with the home theatre setup – for budget reasons as well as the kid factor (things break when kids are around). I have an older Zenith (progressive scan) DVD player, a Panasonic VCR, and a Direct TV high definition receiver. I’m not looking to go out and buy a bunch of new equipment anytime soon, but would like to have the versatility to connect my sons’ PS2 and other devices (like a CD player, mp3 player, etc..) in the future. At some point I’ll probably want to upgrade to a DVD recorder and possibly even venture into high definition input devices. But, I don’t have to have the latest technology (nor can I afford it).

I’m not expecting my home theatre to supply the highest quality audio for listening purposes, but I do enjoy listening to and playing music. So, it’s vital that the receiver I get be as ‘music-friendly’ as possible. So, I’m hoping my system can deliver the music and also give a good surround sound performance as I watch ‘Jurassic Park’ with the kids. Is this too much to ask for?

From what I can gather from the limited research I have done, I’m leaning towards the Onkyo 604. I’ve seen this on accessoriesforless.com and ecost.com for around $300 (refurbished). This is well within my price range and has a lot of the features I’m looking for (dual zone, XM radio ready, mp3 input, HDMI video connection). To be a discriminating shopping, I’m wondering what else I should be comparing to the 604, given the features I’ve mentioned and my price range. In particular, I’m curious about products by either Denon or Yamaha.

Any feedback along those lines would be greatly appreciated!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
It isn't likely that you will find a value as good as the 604, at least not under $300 with the HDMI features. This receiver will sound just as good as any other receiver with music. Don't let audiophile jargon about mid-fi receivers sounding different discourage you, buy what is easy to use, has the features you want, and is within your budget. I have owned two Onkyo receivers, and they both were very easy to use and set-up.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Seth. Although, I have never owned or listened to an Onkyo, I have read many good reviews about it (and the 604 model). And I've never read/heard any bad thing about acc.4less, either (although I have never used them).

In your post you mostly talk about the electronics. I think once you get your receiver chosen, then you should really look at your speakers next. What speakers do you have? Do you wish to upgrade them or do you like what you have? Most people will tell you that speaker quality is one of your biggest considerations when listening to music, etc. For musical listening, then your two front mains should be considered carefully. For 5.1 surround, then I would consider a very good sub and center channel as having more importance in the system. Although important, I think the surrounds would be of my least concern.

Keep us updated and informed on your choices/decisions. And be forewarned, upgrading is contagious and always in the back of your mind. :)

Frank

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi guy

The Onkyo is an excellent receiver...don't let the jargon of minimalists and purists discourage you form buying what is easy to use, has the features you want, and is within your budget. Onkyo makes excellent receivers..I had one in my system for a time and it was excellent. Just don't let minimalists or purists dissuade you from buying something other than the Onkyo of your choice.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi JB

I will continue to recommend Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon receivers...because they are not for minimalists and purists like you.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi JB

I am actually very funny...all of my friends, family and acquaintances think I am highly amusing...with all due respect...minimalists and purists are posting at another Forum...all in good fun of course.

alan22153

Auditioning
Real Name
al
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Arthur S - you mentioned Pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha. Are there any particular model numbers from those vendors with similiar features and price range of the 604?

Frank A - I don't have any speakers as of yet. I thought I would start with the receiver and then move into speakers (buying a little at a time). From what I've seen, matching speakers can be a bit tricky (especially for a lazy person like myself). So, I'm thinking that a speaker set would be my best bet. Any suggestions in the $500 range?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Alan

I may not have time to come up with the comparable receiver model numbers... perhaps someone who is more familiar with the Onkyo 604 can make receiver recommendations that are comparable to the Onkyo 604...whatever you do, don't take the advice of the minimalists and purists who consider HK receivers to be good purchases...as far as speakers...not speaking for Frank A...please take a look at AV123.com and look at the Onix X-Series...they are sold out until 3/8/07...however, they are worth waiting for in my opinion...the X-Sub is an excellent value and so are the center and main bookshelf speakers...they have beautiful all wood veneer cabinets that are rare in this price range...please keep in touch with me...you can use Private Messages in the top right hand corner in red to communicate with me directly...please keep in touch.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene

I have no respect for those who mislead innocent newbies by trying to get them to purchase miserable HK receivers that are not well engineered, have software and firmware problems...and often end up in the shop for weeks at a time...with all due respect...where are the HK supporters...minimalists and purists should seriously consider going to another Forum to espouse their beliefs about the minimalist and purist philosophy...again with all due respect...I have no respect for minimalists and purists who recommend HK receivers to innocent newbies...all in good fun of course.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That says it all:frowning: . I think I need to take a break fom all of this. I'll see ya in a couple of weeks, maybe.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi GeneC

I think that you absolutely need to take a long break from all of this...there is another Forum for minimalists and purists...you can continue to recommend HK receivers to innocent newbies at another Forum that you consider "nice"... again with all due respect.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene c

With all due respect...please take as long a break as you need to...if you wish to continue discussing your previous statement of ownership and endorsement of HK...I can quote you from a previous thread...I consider you to be part of the minimalist and purist philosophy as a supporter of John Brill in his quest to try to persuade innocent newbies to buy unreliable HK receivers...where are the other HK supporters?...I think your lawn needs mowing again...all in good fun of course.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, I do like one of the H/K's that I have very much, but I don't remember actually recommending one. And calling another forum member names (minimalist and purist?) is really uncalled for. I never try and "persuade" anyone to buy anything. I give my opinion and personnal experience and any information I might have, both good and bad, and let them decide for themselves. And my lawn is fine, thank you :) .

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene c

If I am not mistaken...you are on the verge of dumping your HK receiver for something else...I would prefer not to have to invoke the entire contents of your previous posts...but as an example you said that HK receivers "have more issues than other brands..." I will continue to try to prevent people who have a vested interest in HK receivers from even letting innocent newbies think about spending their hard earned money on HK receivers that have software and firmware problems...all in good fun of course.

PS And why is it that you chose to say that Ascend sells HK receivers?

PPS And what forum are all those thousands of HK supporters hanging out at...all in good fun.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Gene c

If you really want to know where the supposed HK supporters are hanging out I can direct you to the AVS Forum...I have specific knowledge about how unreliable HK receivers are...including the HK 8000, and the 600 series...and others...Ascend does not have to repair the defective HK receivers...nor do they have to take them to the shop time after time...and wait around while HK decides if HK is going to try to repair the defective receiver or replace it...with all due respect people are being mislead by those who claim that the so called "sweet sound" of HK is worth all of the grief that others have experienced...and we can continue to discuss the horrific losses that people are experiencing when they shell out $3000 for the HK 745 and then it is selling for less than $1,400 within a few months or days...all in good fun of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks