Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Parallels RC2 (Build 3150) Released

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted February 05 2007 - 01:03 PM

Parallels put out its latest build of its Desktop for Mac software is out and better than ever! A whole slew of features have been improved upon, but for me the best part is the completely integrated drag and drop functionality it now has. Transferring files back and forth between the Mac and PC environments has never been easier. And if you haven't tried Parallels yet, you can download a free 30 day trial. Posted Image

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted February 15 2007 - 03:29 PM

RC3 released today. It's Leopard-ready. Posted Image

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,951 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 03:38 PM

Wow, they've done a great job addressing a lot of the issues. If they ever get the 3D support, I'm going to have to buy it immediately.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 01:50 AM

Have you tried it yet Michael? I plan on installing it this weekend.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 16 2007 - 03:56 AM

Still does not work with my USB i1 Pro... Posted Image

- Steve

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,283 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 04:58 AM

What I need is my Universal Remotes to work within parallels. They are USB devices... Anyone here running Parallels and a Universal Remote product?
Steve Simon
Home Theater Forum
Retired Administration

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 05:06 AM

My pronto didn't work with the previous release. I could author edits etc but would need to boot into BootCamp in order to download to the pronto via USB.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted February 16 2007 - 07:22 AM

Same here, Andrew.

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 12:47 PM

I just installed RC3 and just uploaded my PCF file from my pronto in parallels so it seems things have improved in this release. ProntoEdit was the only reason I installed BootCamp as I wasn't able to connect to the pronto in the VM version but now that's not a problem which is great...no more rebooting.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,413 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 14 2007 - 03:18 PM

so, in a nutshell, and for dummies(me) what does this do and what would i need for this to be useful. i plan on buying a macbook this week. i have a desktop with winxp. would this paralles do anything for me? would i have to buy an additional windows vista to install on the macbook.
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 02:03 AM

Tony if you want to run Windows o any sort on your new MacBook you have two choices. 1) Use Apples BootCamp and simply dual boot between OS X or Windows. This means that once you've installed Windows when ever you boot you can hold down the Alt key and you'll be given a menu asking which OS you want to boot into. Option 2) uses parallels to give you the option to launch Windows like you would an application within OS X itself. This means that you can boot as you normally do into OS X and if you need a windows application simply click the windows icon in parallels and windows will boot in a new window. You can then run both Windows and OSX at the same time. There's a host of options available to you like maximizing the windows window to full screen and you can drag and drop files between the two OS's etc. There's also now the option to install BootCamp and then have the Parallels software use that copy of Windows to launch giving you the option to either run Windows natively at boot or to run it virtually in parallels depending on your needs which is how I currently have it set up on my MBP. Basically if you have a windows app that you can't find a Mac alternative then either BootCamp and or Parallels is something you're likely going to want to purchase.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,413 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 04:59 PM

ok i was just reading a review of parallels and read this..... "If you just bought a Mac and are retiring an old PC, you can transfer Windows (plus programs and data) from that old computer to the Mac using a new migration tool called Parallels Transporter. You'll have to connect a cable to both machines. Parallels says to check licensing agreements to make sure you can legally transfer the PC's version of Windows to another machine." has anyone done this . i need more info. this sounds like an ideal plan for me if it really can be done.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted March 23 2007 - 01:17 AM

I've used Transporter to migrate my old XP drive image that I had in Virtual PC into Parallels. Worked like a charm. Couldn't believe how easy it was.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,413 posts

Posted March 25 2007 - 08:18 AM

well i downloaded the free trial. guess i'll see if it works. hmm, i wonder if the free trial allows transport. oh its only $63 at amazon right now.
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,589 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 09:01 AM

I have to say, the latest release (3188) sure is a vast improvement from the version I was running. Most of the time I was not able to select or deselct printers and all of a sudden the Parallels window decided to be bigger than the resolution of the monitor, and no matter of looking seemed to find a solution. The resizable window (now, how basic is that to NOT have been there?) and drag-and-drop are basic things which were missing.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,780 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 08:16 AM

I was a huge Parallels user when I first got my Mac Pro in January, but have slowly weened off of it to the point I rarely use it anymore. I have found all the programs I need for my Mac that seem to be equal or better to their Windows counterparts. That being said, I have a lot of respect for Parallels. It is a remarkable program -- one responsible for many PC owners switching over to Mac. In time, probably this year, we should see full support for high-intensity graphics including Windows Vista Aero.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,413 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 08:46 AM

ron what dvd list software do you use/ i like profiler but not an option on mac. i still have my desktop but would like to use it on mac. your dvd profile link in your sig doesnt go anywhere.
facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 11:46 AM

I rarely boot my copy of XP in parallels either now that I'm more familar with OS X and the suite of tools I have installed. There's still the odd app that's better (easier for me) in XP but I'll just use my wifes Dull machine for that app rather then bother booting XP on my MBP.

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,780 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 09:10 PM

Tony, I still use DVDProfiler, and alas, one of the few reasons why I use Parallels to access Windows. Have not found anything as good, and if I did, there is still a problem of over 2,000 DVD titles I wouldn't readily be able to import over. The reason why my Profiler link goes nowhere is because the DVDPROFILER website just went through a major overhaul. I need to reinstall the newest version of the software and upload all my information to a new location. That will take a few days.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,413 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 02:41 PM

well i was trying the free, trial of parallels. when i attempted to see how it works it tells me i nned the transporter installed on both computers. if the main is a pc, how do i get transporter on the pc. there isnt anything at the para web site that indicates a pc version. what am i missing
facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users