What's new

2006-2007 NFL Playoffs Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

The teams with a bye have a definite advantage (have to win only three playoff games vs. four games for the teams that play this weekend). However, that is no guarantee, with last year's Steelers being a perfect example (#6 seed).

I think this is a very tough playoff year to predict. I'll try, but I wouldn't want to bet much money on my picks. :)

NFC:
Eagles over Giants
Seahawks over Cowboys

Eagles over Saints
Bears over Seahawks

Eagles over Bears

AFC:
Colts over Chiefs
Patriots over Jets

Chargers over Patriots
Ravens over Colts

Chargers over Ravens

Super Bowl: Chargers over Eagles

I could easily see Dallas or KC win this weekend, though, and the Bears get knocked out next weekend. I think San Diego, Baltimore and New England all have very good chances of winning it all. I also think either Chicago or New Orleans could easily win the NFC.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Uh...yes, of course, I mean, c'mon. jeez !! ;)

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP:
Charger Fan here, going with his head, not his heart: Ravens.
I still dont trust Marty and Ravens D vs. Rivers = bad news for the Chargers.

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP:
Since I chose the Saints, I have to say Saints vs Bears in Chicago.
I dont trust the Bears offense. In fact, I have little confidence that they can beat the 'Hawks. Both teams have been inconsistent.
So I will go with the Saints.

Saints and Ravens in the super bowl:
I'll go with the experience and say Brian the Brain Billick, Steve McNair and Ray Ray in the Super Bowl over the Saints (although I am pulling for the Saints all the way to the big game and I hope they win, unless its against my Chargers).

By the way Scott, I won my fantasy football league ! The one I asked you for help on throughout the season ! !
I won my last 6 games and beat the #1, #2 and #3 teams.
It was my combination of Marion Barber III, Maurice Jones Drew and Shaun Alexander's return with some help from T.J. Housh and the Charger defense. That's 2 championships in 3 years at work.
In the yahoo league I choked, and havent done well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Chiefs-Colts game is the one that is primed for an upset if Larry Johnson can play keep-away with the ball and run up the yardage on the Colts porous run defense.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the discussion turns to 1 of my favorite topics, inept franchises. This never gets old for me, maybe if I were a Cardinals or a Lions fan it might...but its not just that I love this discussion in any sports thread.

Anyway...

Here's the thing, Al Davis was written off 10 years ago, and then hired Jon Gruden. People give Gruden a lot of credit for those Raiders teams and he deserves a lot but the reality is that all of those guys that were brought in were brought in by Al Davis. Davis had his hands in everything including the selection of the 53 man roster. Picking the 53 man roster was 1 of the sticking points when the team was trying to renegotiate his contract.
So, I'm not willing to write him off as someone who doesn't get it. Everyone that interviews with the Raiders even now values the experience because they end up getting a football lesson. I do think he's set in his ways but who at that age doesn't fit that statement really? I'm not ready to write Davis off but I do have a pen and paper sitting on the desk if that makes any sense.

The one thing you have to give the guy though even now is that football is his business. Its not a pet project, its not something he has as a little pet project. He genuinely cares, even f it is a bit misguided, at least he cares about his team. That can not be said of every owner in the NFL. Those in Dallas, Pittsburgh, The Giants, Kansas City...Green Bay (probably the most caring owners in the league up in Green Bay) Arthur Blank cares down in Atlanta and the franchise benefits from that even if it doesn't show in the win column every season. Red McCombs owned the Vikings and to him it was just another thing. His ownership was a complete disaster.

As for the Cardinals, they're a lot like the Raiders in this respect. There is talent, in Arizona its mainly on offense, in Oakland its the defense. Neither organization is fond of paying coaches big money. Of course Arizona is far more willing to extend that same policy to the playing field. Also, I think I read somewhere perhaps a whole bunch of times that the longest tenured coach in the history of the franchise got 6 years. One other thing that both franchises have in common is that this year (as in years past) whomever is hired as the head coach is going to have to work with assistants that were part of the last regime. I believe Arizona is retaining 7 of Dennis Green's assistants and Oakland's new coach (if its not Rob Ryan) will retain Ryan, and a majority of the defensive staff and probably some of the offensive coaches like Fred Belitnikoff.

As for the playoffs, I only pick them 1 week at a time because of the injury factor and potential matchups.

This week:
I like The Colts over the Chiefs in a high-scoring game. Indianapolis can't stop the run but the Chiefs defense hasn't exactly been Baltimore's this year either. This is a game where an upset wouldn't really be an upset though.

Patriots over the Jets: I don't want to pick against New England in round 1 even if they have no receivers to speak of at this point.

Cowboys over Seahawks: I'm not really thrilled with either one of these teams especially with Dallas losing at home to Detroit. Seattle has a strong home-field but they haven't beaten anyone with a winning record.

Eagles over Giants: I can't believe I'm predicting success for Jeff Garcia in a playoff game in 2007. If Coughlin's Giants lose, he's done.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think whoever gets the ball first or at least scores first in the Indy-KC game wins. KC will be able to just run the ball relentlessly, and Indy's offense speaks for itself.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Scott and I agree on the first round completely. I think it is entirely possible that Garcia leads the Eagles to the Superbowl, but I won't make next weeks predictions until after this week.

Eagles over Giants
Seahawks over Cowboys

Colts over Chiefs
Patriots over Jets

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I can definitely see the apprehension in picking the Chargers for those very same reasons. I had a hard time picking them, but they are the most complete team in the NFL, IMO, so I went with them despite those question marks. My 2nd choice in the AFC would be Baltimore.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Ravens are one of only two teams (KC the other) to beat the Chargers. That game was in Baltimore and SD nearly won, they got a lead and tried to sit on it and it cost them.

If SD plays Baltimore there will be at least two things different. One, the game will be in SD and two, the Chargers won't be so conservative. The loss in Baltimore was something of a turning point. After that game, SD figured they had to trust Rivers more. They weren't going to go far playing not to lose, which is what they did in Baltimore and what Marty all to often does.

If SD doesn't do well in the playoffs I predict the reason would be because Marty goes back to conservative Martyball. If he does that and they lose, he can pack his bags as far as I'm concerned. Of course if LT gains 100+ yards every playoff game, handing off to him isn't so conservative.

I think Brees is the key. If he can pass, LT will find it easier to run. If the opponent doesn't respect the SD passing game, they can key on LT. The greatest running backs can all be stopped when there's no passing game to worry about.

In short, I think SD will beat Baltimore if that matchup happens.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Here are my picks for the PLayoffs so far:

Dallas over Seattle though honestly I wouldn't be surprised it go the other way.
Philly over NYG.
KC over the Colts. I think the lack of run defense will kill the Colts.
NE over the Jets.

NE is almost to me the most dangerous team in the playoffs. Unlike Marty, The Patriots have a proven playoff winning coach... a mastermind really.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
My picks are pretty much all the home teams this weekend.

I will especially look forward to the Eagles spanking the Giants.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Not even at halftime yet, and the Colts have already displayed their playoff form that we have all grown to know and love:

Manning off the mark
Manning throwing INTs
Receivers dropping passes
Costly penalties
Settling for FGs in the red zone

Yep, gotta love 'em.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was about to post a Raiders joke - was the Raiders offense taking over for the Chiefs offense? But then, finally, KC got a nice drive ending with a 2-point conversion.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, KC didn't really seem to care whether they won or lost. The players (except maybe Ty Law) all seemed to be enjoying themselves on the sidelines while their offense was stinking up the joint. Even Herm Edwards seemed as if he couldn't care less. I think he was more concerned about making his dinner reservation on time rather than winning the game.

Definitely not worthy of taking up a playoff slot.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Exactly. What a fourth quarter.

That makes me 2 for 2 today. We'll see if the Pats and Philly can keep me perfect.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Gotta love the Manning face every time he thinks his receiver didn't read his mind. That whiny hand waving about to blame someone in his sight frankenstein will definitely lose in Baltimore. I hear Ray Lewis is on a fast for 7 days....

2 for 2 here. Pure luck can only be attributed since Romo/Ray Finkel mishandled that snap. You know, if Martin puts all of his 120 lbs into that block, I think Romo gets a first down/TD. Now if that were Seabass kicking for the Cowgirls: different story.

Seattle will definitely lose to whomever they play. I dont care if its the Bears or Saints. If its the Saints, they'll be annilihated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks