Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm 1962

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Roger Manning

Roger Manning

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted December 28 2006 - 09:04 AM

Any word on a dvd of this? I know the negs. are long gone from what I hear.
I just watched my LaserDisc of this and would like something a little better.
Also any news about How the West Was Won?
Roger
I'll Take 16mm 0ver dvd anyday

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted December 29 2006 - 12:24 AM

It would need a lot of work was the last I heard. How The West Was Won should be released some time in 2007.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 29 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hopefully in SmileBox format.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted December 29 2006 - 06:52 AM

A few months ago, How the West Was Won was announced to be on its way in Smilebox format. I must've read about that here on HTF. A Brothers Grimm DVD in Smilebox using whatever materials are available would be much better than no DVD at all.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,573 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 29 2006 - 08:43 AM

I recorded BROTHERS GRIMM off TCM a couple of years ago, and that's what I use to get my "fix." Seems like Warners folks were asked about it at one of the chats and they said it was nowhere on the horizon.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON would be a most welcome addition especially since the last DVD wasn't even anamorphic. Even that enhancement would give it some additional clarity.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted December 29 2006 - 11:25 AM

Smilebox format? What is this?

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted December 29 2006 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Henderson
Smilebox format? What is this?
Real Cinerama was achieved by simultaneous projection of three images on a very curved screen (almost a semi-circle.) In order for it to look right on a television screen, the image should be curved (looking like a smile, thus smilebox.)

In the 1950s, Cinerama movies were travelogues (This Is Cinerama, Cinerama Holiday, The Seven Wonders of the World, Search for Paradise, South Seas Adventure.) Cinerama returned in 1962 with two -- and only two -- "story" movies, "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" and "How the West Was Won." The remaining Cinerama movies, starting with "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," weren't really Cinerama at all, but "Ultra" or "Super" 70MM film. So, as far as the "story" movies go, only "Grimm" and "West" need to be smile-boxed.

Is there any chance that the original five Cinerama travelogues will ever be out on DVD, smileboxed or not?

#8 of 26 ONLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
...Is there any chance that the original five Cinerama travelogues will ever be out on DVD, smileboxed or not?

Joe, I've often wondered about this myself, even if only for the historical aspect. After all, these are the films that started the widescreen revolution. Anyone know if that documentary that was being made about Cinerama is any closer to a release, even if it was straight to DVD?
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 10:55 AM

They are an undeniable part of movie history. For instance, "Cinerama Holiday" was the highest-grossing movie of 1955 (at the time - "Lady and the Tramp" later surpassed it, but due to many reissues at inflated prices.) This is even more remarkable in that it only played at one theater in a limited number of cities.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 02:19 PM

A friend of mine gave me the original "This is Cinerama" program this year...pretty cool stuff!

#11 of 26 ONLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 09:00 AM

I was lucky enough to see both THIS IS CINERAMA and HOW THE WEST WAS WON back when they were still running on a regular basis in Dayton, OH. Sadly, that theater tore out their Cinerama installation several years back.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 09:54 AM

I admit to buying too many dvds ( is that possible? ) because after reading this thread it occured to me that somewhere in my collection of close to a thousand titles there was a documentary or subject in the special features that showed some of the early This Is Cinerama film(s). It wasn't alot but it was interesting. I'm sure it was a Warner's title but I am taxing my memory attempting to remember which dvd had it. Can anyone help me on this?

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 326 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted December 31 2006 - 11:31 AM

Not sure about the BROTHERS GRIMM release, but Warner did announce a while back that we will see a deluxe dvd version of HOW THE WEST WAS WON in 2007, using the Smilebox process and including the CINERAMA ADVENTURE documentary as an extra. If you want to see an example of the Smilebox, take a look at the extras from the 1933 KING KONG dvd. The documentary about Merian Cooper (producer of KONG and one of the people who backed Cinerama) has a section on Cinerama and they show clips of THIS IS CINERAMA using this process. I too trekked out to Dayton to see real Cinerama for myself about a decade ago. There is nothing like it.... and it is an important part of our cinema heritage.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted December 31 2006 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
Real Cinerama was achieved by simultaneous projection of three images on a very curved screen (almost a semi-circle.) In order for it to look right on a television screen, the image should be curved (looking like a smile, thus smilebox.)

In the 1950s, Cinerama movies were travelogues (This Is Cinerama, Cinerama Holiday, The Seven Wonders of the World, Search for Paradise, South Seas Adventure.) Cinerama returned in 1962 with two -- and only two -- "story" movies, "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" and "How the West Was Won." The remaining Cinerama movies, starting with "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," weren't really Cinerama at all, but "Ultra" or "Super" 70MM film. So, as far as the "story" movies go, only "Grimm" and "West" need to be smile-boxed.

Is there any chance that the original five Cinerama travelogues will ever be out on DVD, smileboxed or not?

After How The West Was Won is released on DVD, if it does well, the travelogues might be released.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted December 31 2006 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR
A friend of mine gave me the original "This is Cinerama" program this year...pretty cool stuff!

There were four different This Is Cinerama programs that I know of from the US. Cinerama theatres overseas had there own programs depending on the country.

1 - The original from the New York Broadway Theatre
2 - Similar one from the New York Warner Theatre
3 - Another for it's release at other Cinerama theatres.
4 - One with horizontal printing on the cover.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 12:11 PM

It's not one of the first programs because it mentions the first anniversary. It is probably from other Cinerama theatres.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 01 2007 - 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR
It's not one of the first programs because it mentions the first anniversary. It is probably from other Cinerama theatres.

Here are some pictures of three different This Is Cinerama programs:

http://home.att.net/...y/cinerama2.jpg

http://home.att.net/...y/cinerama1.jpg

http://i6.ebayimg.co...2/75/b3_1_b.JPG - has Cinerama Holiday too

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 08:02 AM

It's the third one...the picture on the right is the one I have with the black cover.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   serenapowell

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted February 17 2007 - 07:47 PM

I'd like to have The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm on DVD someday too... and I'm eagerly awaiting the promised release of How The West Was Won. Apart from the visual spectacle, I found it very moving - despite the fast pace and relatively short "episodes" within. Great cast made me care about their characters. Posted Image

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 18 2007 - 06:08 PM

I just pulled out my King Kong disc to have another look at the SmileBox sequences from This is Cinerama. Definitely the best way to put out HTWWW on DVD. Here's hoping they can find good enough elements to do Brothers Grimm as well.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow