What's new

IT HAPPENED ONE CHRISTMAS (1 Viewer)

RetroPete

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
...okay, okay, --I know this is heresy to some, but I enjoyed this film and was captivated by Thomas, Leachman and Welles. Christopher Guest even has a small part.

I don't think this has ever been released, even on tape, and was wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about a release or possible release. It was broadcast on ABC, I think in 1977 or '78.

...and yes, it will NEVER replace the original.

Start throwing tomatoes.

Peter :crazy:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
For those who do not know, this was a TV remake of "Its A Wonderful Life" with Marlo Thomas in the James Stewart role and Wayne Rogers in the Donna Reed role. Cloris Leachman is the Angel , and Orsen Welles is Old Man Potter .

This probably should be in the TV section.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This should be in the TV section.

But I loved "It Happened One Christmas" when I was a kid -- I actually saw it before I saw "It's a Wonderful Life." Don't know how much I'd like it now. But I'd buy it if it was released on DVD.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a release of the TV movie of "Miracle on 34th Street," with Sebastian Cabot as Santa Claus.

RetroPete

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
I too saw it before I saw the original, perhaps that's why I was allowed to like it.

Besides having a pretty strong cast, including Doris Roberts; it was shot by Conrad Hall, has a really nice score by Stephen Lawrence and heck, throw in a few matte paintings by Al Whitlock for some small screen magic...

I saw a portion of this recently, and though I know now the story has been streamlined somewhat, I thought it held up pretty well, with some nice moments.

But no DVD.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
No tomatoes here, either. I saw it on TV originally too, and loved it. I still have a recorded-from-TV VHS tape that I dig out at Christmastime. I would love to have this on DVD.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This would have been a nice extra on the new 60th Anniversary IAWL coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks