-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

IT HAPPENED ONE CHRISTMAS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 RetroPete

RetroPete

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 02:49 AM

...okay, okay, --I know this is heresy to some, but I enjoyed this film and was captivated by Thomas, Leachman and Welles. Christopher Guest even has a small part.

I don't think this has ever been released, even on tape, and was wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about a release or possible release. It was broadcast on ABC, I think in 1977 or '78.

...and yes, it will NEVER replace the original.

Start throwing tomatoes.

Peter Posted Image

#2 of 6 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 06:35 AM

For those who do not know, this was a TV remake of "Its A Wonderful Life" with Marlo Thomas in the James Stewart role and Wayne Rogers in the Donna Reed role. Cloris Leachman is the Angel , and Orsen Welles is Old Man Potter .

This probably should be in the TV section.

#3 of 6 Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 04 2006 - 04:28 PM

This should be in the TV section.

But I loved "It Happened One Christmas" when I was a kid -- I actually saw it before I saw "It's a Wonderful Life." Don't know how much I'd like it now. But I'd buy it if it was released on DVD.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a release of the TV movie of "Miracle on 34th Street," with Sebastian Cabot as Santa Claus.

#4 of 6 RetroPete

RetroPete

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 12:58 AM

I too saw it before I saw the original, perhaps that's why I was allowed to like it.

Besides having a pretty strong cast, including Doris Roberts; it was shot by Conrad Hall, has a really nice score by Stephen Lawrence and heck, throw in a few matte paintings by Al Whitlock for some small screen magic...

I saw a portion of this recently, and though I know now the story has been streamlined somewhat, I thought it held up pretty well, with some nice moments.

But no DVD.

#5 of 6 Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 03:38 AM

No tomatoes here, either. I saw it on TV originally too, and loved it. I still have a recorded-from-TV VHS tape that I dig out at Christmastime. I would love to have this on DVD.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#6 of 6 Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 02:14 AM

This would have been a nice extra on the new 60th Anniversary IAWL coming out.
-Rodney