Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

IT HAPPENED ONE CHRISTMAS

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   RetroPete

RetroPete

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 02:49 AM

...okay, okay, --I know this is heresy to some, but I enjoyed this film and was captivated by Thomas, Leachman and Welles. Christopher Guest even has a small part.

I don't think this has ever been released, even on tape, and was wondering if anyone has heard any rumblings about a release or possible release. It was broadcast on ABC, I think in 1977 or '78.

...and yes, it will NEVER replace the original.

Start throwing tomatoes.

Peter Posted Image

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts

Posted September 04 2006 - 06:35 AM

For those who do not know, this was a TV remake of "Its A Wonderful Life" with Marlo Thomas in the James Stewart role and Wayne Rogers in the Donna Reed role. Cloris Leachman is the Angel , and Orsen Welles is Old Man Potter . This probably should be in the TV section.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 04 2006 - 04:28 PM

This should be in the TV section. But I loved "It Happened One Christmas" when I was a kid -- I actually saw it before I saw "It's a Wonderful Life." Don't know how much I'd like it now. But I'd buy it if it was released on DVD. I also wouldn't mind seeing a release of the TV movie of "Miracle on 34th Street," with Sebastian Cabot as Santa Claus.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   RetroPete

RetroPete

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 05 2006 - 12:58 AM

I too saw it before I saw the original, perhaps that's why I was allowed to like it. Besides having a pretty strong cast, including Doris Roberts; it was shot by Conrad Hall, has a really nice score by Stephen Lawrence and heck, throw in a few matte paintings by Al Whitlock for some small screen magic... I saw a portion of this recently, and though I know now the story has been streamlined somewhat, I thought it held up pretty well, with some nice moments. But no DVD.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted September 06 2006 - 03:38 AM

No tomatoes here, either. I saw it on TV originally too, and loved it. I still have a recorded-from-TV VHS tape that I dig out at Christmastime. I would love to have this on DVD.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 02:14 AM

This would have been a nice extra on the new 60th Anniversary IAWL coming out.
-Rodney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users