What's new

'Black Hawk Down', 'Sense & Sensibility' pulled indefinitely. 'The Big Hit' delayed (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
From High-Def Digest:

Also, "The Big Hit" has been delayed until Sept. 19.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
No surprise there. These were scheduled as dual-layered releases, and everybody knows the DL BD is nothing more than a Sony dream right now.

Pete T C

Second Unit
So DaViD, now that the first BD50 releases have been postponed indefinitely, are you officially joining the HD DVD camp? I'm holding you to that "Q4 2006 BD50 or HD DVD for me" statement you made a while back ;)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Is there a link for the postponment announcement?

If there's not DL BR by Q1 2007 my money's headed to HD-DVD as well :frowning:

Pete T C

Second Unit

Why the frown? Your money will be headed to a format that has the same or better video quality, more robust and consistent nextgen audio codec support, more robust and consistent extra features (like In Movie Experience), less restrictive DRM, as well as hardware AND software SD DVD backwards compatibility (as opposed to just hardware like BD) - all for half the price of the competition. Sounds like you should be smiling, not frowning :)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Why the frown, Pete? I can´t speak für Ryan, but I share exactly his sentiment. And for me the frown stands for the outlook that I would miss all those titles from Fox, Sony and Disney I was looking forward to: No Pixar Animation, no X Men, no Alien, no Lawrence of Arabia etc. etc.
For me really a reason for sadness.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Hartwig,

Don't fret those titles you've listed. There are great titles out now and announced for HD-DVD to keep you busy, and the adoption of HD-DVD by Fox and Disney is inevitable if the format takes off. Disney has stated that they would probably release in both formats, so the groundwork has already been laid. And Lion's Gate has been rumored to be the next studio to announce titles for HD-DVD (I've even heard they have titles mastered already).

There are no announcements for Pixar, X-Men, Alien, Lawrence of Arabia, or Disney animation on BD anyway, so why stress?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

You can't miss what hasn't been released ;)

The way things are going, I fully expect to own Fox and Disney HD DVDs this time next year.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Is the reason for the delay BD 50 & only BD 50?
Or, is Sony waking up to the demands for quality product?
If they are waiting for advanced codec, I'll say this is good news.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Since those were previously announced as the first BD50 titles, the inference is clear that the reason for the delay is that BD50 isn’t ready, and won’t be for an unspecified period of time. Remember, the Sony Party Line is that MPEG2 is the best codec, and there’s been ZERO word from them that they’ve deviated from that stance at all.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
So, no official word, however with nothing else to go on, it must be inability to mass produce BD 50. As no other non-BD 50 titles were delayed, correct?
Except of coarse Robocop. Just that one title, is because of a change in studios, correct?
Thanks, RobertR.
Gosh, sure would have like to hear Sony was/is/will be addressing the PQ issues.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is it time for a seperate section for br and hd dvd yet.
i clicked this topic not knowing it was a br topic.
or maybe add the br or hd dvd wording when making a new topic.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's just logic. The bad PQ is supposed to be due to insufficient space. That's not supposed to be a problem with BD50. So if BD50 is available, no more bad PQ. But if it's not available...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As many times Black Hawk Down has been released by Sony on dvd, you should've known it was BR.;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
true you got me on that.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

but i honostly rarely think about the studio when i talk about or watch a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks