Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

'Black Hawk Down', 'Sense & Sensibility' pulled indefinitely. 'The Big Hit' delayed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 10:45 AM

From High-Def Digest:

Quote:
both 'Black Hawk Down' and 'Sense & Sensibility' have been removed completely from Sony's upcoming release schedule until further notice.

Also, "The Big Hit" has been delayed until Sept. 19.

#2 of 17 Bob Black

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 12:58 PM

No surprise there. These were scheduled as dual-layered releases, and everybody knows the DL BD is nothing more than a Sony dream right now.

#3 of 17 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 03:50 PM

So DaViD, now that the first BD50 releases have been postponed indefinitely, are you officially joining the HD DVD camp? I'm holding you to that "Q4 2006 BD50 or HD DVD for me" statement you made a while back Posted Image
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#4 of 17 Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete T C
So DaViD, now that the first BD50 releases have been postponed indefinitely, are you officially joining the HD DVD camp? I'm holding you to that "Q4 2006 BD50 or HD DVD for me" statement you made a while back Posted Image

Is there a link for the postponment announcement?

If there's not DL BR by Q1 2007 my money's headed to HD-DVD as well Posted Image

#5 of 17 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-G
Is there a link for the postponment announcement?

Its in the thread's original post.

Quote:
If there's not DL BR by Q1 2007 my money's headed to HD-DVD as well Posted Image

Why the frown? Your money will be headed to a format that has the same or better video quality, more robust and consistent nextgen audio codec support, more robust and consistent extra features (like In Movie Experience), less restrictive DRM, as well as hardware AND software SD DVD backwards compatibility (as opposed to just hardware like BD) - all for half the price of the competition. Sounds like you should be smiling, not frowning Posted Image
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#6 of 17 Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 11:55 PM

Why the frown, Pete? I can´t speak für Ryan, but I share exactly his sentiment. And for me the frown stands for the outlook that I would miss all those titles from Fox, Sony and Disney I was looking forward to: No Pixar Animation, no X Men, no Alien, no Lawrence of Arabia etc. etc.
For me really a reason for sadness.

#7 of 17 Bob Black

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 01:24 AM

Hartwig,

Don't fret those titles you've listed. There are great titles out now and announced for HD-DVD to keep you busy, and the adoption of HD-DVD by Fox and Disney is inevitable if the format takes off. Disney has stated that they would probably release in both formats, so the groundwork has already been laid. And Lion's Gate has been rumored to be the next studio to announce titles for HD-DVD (I've even heard they have titles mastered already).

There are no announcements for Pixar, X-Men, Alien, Lawrence of Arabia, or Disney animation on BD anyway, so why stress?

#8 of 17 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwig Hanser
Why the frown, Pete? I can´t speak für Ryan, but I share exactly his sentiment. And for me the frown stands for the outlook that I would miss all those titles from Fox, Sony and Disney I was looking forward to: No Pixar Animation, no X Men, no Alien, no Lawrence of Arabia etc. etc.
For me really a reason for sadness.

You can't miss what hasn't been released Posted Image

The way things are going, I fully expect to own Fox and Disney HD DVDs this time next year.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#9 of 17 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 06:46 AM

Is the reason for the delay BD 50 & only BD 50?
Or, is Sony waking up to the demands for quality product?
If they are waiting for advanced codec, I'll say this is good news.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#10 of 17 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
Is the reason for the delay BD 50 & only BD 50?
Since those were previously announced as the first BD50 titles, the inference is clear that the reason for the delay is that BD50 isn’t ready, and won’t be for an unspecified period of time. Remember, the Sony Party Line is that MPEG2 is the best codec, and there’s been ZERO word from them that they’ve deviated from that stance at all.

#11 of 17 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Since those were previously announced as the first BD50 titles, the inference is clear that the reason for the delay is that BD50 isn’t ready, and won’t be for an unspecified period of time. Remember, the Sony Party Line is that MPEG2 is the best codec, and there’s been ZERO word from them that they’ve deviated from that stance at all.
So, no official word, however with nothing else to go on, it must be inability to mass produce BD 50. As no other non-BD 50 titles were delayed, correct?
Except of coarse Robocop. Just that one title, is because of a change in studios, correct?
Thanks, RobertR.
Gosh, sure would have like to hear Sony was/is/will be addressing the PQ issues.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#12 of 17 Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 02:50 PM

Man, I wish I could get my $1000 back.

#13 of 17 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 15 2006 - 05:02 PM

is it time for a seperate section for br and hd dvd yet.
i clicked this topic not knowing it was a br topic.
or maybe add the br or hd dvd wording when making a new topic.

facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 17 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 09:27 AM

Quote:
Gosh, sure would have like to hear Sony was/is/will be addressing the PQ issues.
It's just logic. The bad PQ is supposed to be due to insufficient space. That's not supposed to be a problem with BD50. So if BD50 is available, no more bad PQ. But if it's not available...

#15 of 17 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,117 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 16 2006 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
is it time for a seperate section for br and hd dvd yet.
i clicked this topic not knowing it was a br topic.
or maybe add the br or hd dvd wording when making a new topic.
As many times Black Hawk Down has been released by Sony on dvd, you should've known it was BR.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 17 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 16 2006 - 11:00 AM

true you got me on that.Posted Image

but i honostly rarely think about the studio when i talk about or watch a movie.

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 17 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 06:26 AM

Several other titles had been earmarked for Blu-ray release but have been postponed to allow more time for remastering, due to the high level of quality expected by early adopters, according to studio executives.

Are they referring to these titles possibly. Are they scrapping mpeg2 versions that were ready to go and re-doing them with VC1 and/or dl 50?

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow