What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Sleepy Hollow -- in High Definition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, a 1999 production, appears to have been mastered from a film element to 1080p HD. As such it should not be compared to other productions that are sent through the DI process, thereby yielding a digital element to take directly to video mastering.

That said, as one of Paramount's initial offering of high definition DVDs, Sleepy Hollow magnificently represents the brilliant cinematography of Emmanuel Lubezki in a home theater format.

While a terrific piece of entertainment on all counts, it is Mr. Lubezki's work, which looks akin to the three-strip Technicolor productions of the 1930s and early 1940s, which still used the silver key image to both add contrast, control the black level and tone down color, which is also a star of this film. To the best of my knowledge, the process was last used by John Huston in Moby Dick (1956).

There isn't a great deal more that needs to be said here.

Paramount has hit the ball out of the park with Sleepy Hollow. If the point to be achieved is to replicate the look of the film, they have done it to perfection.

On a purely graphics driven note, I also feel that Paramount has the best looking package design, with the jacket broken down into three parts, all elegantly against a silver background, as well as the graphic design of the actual disc, which has the printed area beautifully offset against a surrounding silver border, emblazoned with the words "Paramount High Definition."

While some have recently wondered what has been becoming of Paramount Home Video, that particular question has now be answered.

Paramount, as the third studio to join the ranks of the HD supporters, has not only hit the ground running, but has served up one of their first films to absolute perfection!

Extremely Highly Recommended.

I cannot wait to see what the later releases, based upon DIs look like.

Stay Tuned.

RAH

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Thanks for your impressions. This was the only initial Paramount title I wanted to buy, so I'm glad to hear it looks fantastic.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Thank you for the first impressions Robert. Although this movie was good, it's not something I'm going to buy immediately on HD-DVD. Right now, the only Paramount HD-DVD I'm really looking forward to is We Were Soldiers.

I'm glad to hear that Paramount did a great job on the HD-DVD case and disc itself. It's the little things that can really impress us sometimes. :)

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
Thanks Mr. Harris,
in my opinion it's only your reviews that have really been echoing the voice of the current HD owners. The others seem to go out of their way to remain impartial to BR (for what reason, who knows)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To DavidDTS...

I'm also impartial to BD. Although I haven't liked what I've thus far seen, at least some problems may be linked to the way that the Samsung unit is handling signals.

While I'd certainly be happier if there was a unified format, one has to give BD the time to get their act together, and past their initial problems. At that point, of necessity, I'll be adding a unit to my system.

As far as impartiality, it would seem to behoove those who report on line, be it via reviews or commentary, to simply report honestly, and to remain impartial.

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I remember the HD on HBO had issues with erasure of white lines/dots/buttons on black clothes when in motion. Does the HD-DVD still show this artifact?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Scott, any digital noise, artifacts? There's a thread over at AVS where someone swears that the disc was disappointing and has these issues.

:)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The only "artifact" I noticed was a veneer of relatively fine film grain. My set is calibrated extremely well, so I dunno what it would look like with all the settings running at 11 (which is what I suspect many of the detractors have their sets running at).

I'm pretty jazzed at this release, it almost feels like owning a 35mm print of the film.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This appears to be out of print in Blu-Ray - Hopefully, it will return now that Paramount in on board with the format.

BrandonH

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my HD-DVD of this one yesterday and played it last night.
I sau some grain and to set the noise reduction to medium then the picture was perfect.
Great camera angles and cinematography.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My uncle used it in a company promotional film he made for Mullards (in case the name is unfamilliar, they made valves and other electrical components, and were a subsidiary of Phillips) in the 1960s, but I don't think that really counts!

Have had Sleepy Hollow on HD for a while and I love it. I think the trouble is that because the look is so non-standard, it's led several reviewers astray into finding 'faults' with the transfer that are intentional features of the film. I think the idea of making the film look like moving aquatints was excellent - going for garish colours would have been just so wrong in this movie.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Glad to see it is so highly recommended by Mr. Harris. It's among the titles I have in transit (shipped to my parents in the US to get free shipping--awaiting their next visit with impatience as there are almost 20 titles waiting for me).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have the BD version and watched it not too long ago (ISF'd 60" SXRD A3000 and Panasonic BD30) and thought it looked very good and extremely filmlike. The film grain present is normal and really added to the "feel" of the movie IMO.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I suggest you read the following link.;) (It's not from me but I figure I might as well pass along the correct information.)

Lyris Lite :: Film grain is not your enemy

At least it retains the film grain. Unlike alot of people's abohorrent reactions to it, I PREFER film grain!
I'm hoping in Robert Harris' next "A Few Words About..." he'll comment about WHY replicating film grain from the master is actually beneficial instead of being a detractor.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention this is one of the titles I sold on DVD to upgrade to HDDVD. Prolly going to purchase it from DeepDiscount if they're still pricing it for $9.98. Although last I checked every Paramount HDDVD title was marked back up to $22.08

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
From DVDCompare.net
  • R0 America - (Paramount)

• Commentaries:
    Audio commentary by director Tim Burton
  • Extras:
    "Behind The Legend" - featurette (30.00)
    "Reflections On Sleepy Hollow: Cast and Crew Interviews" - featurette (11.23)
    Teaser
    Theatrical trailer
  • Subtitles:
    English HoH, English, French, and Spanish
  • Aspect Ratio:
    1.85:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
    English DTS 5.1
    French Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
    Spanish Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    1080p transfer, using VC-1 compression.
Is the DD+ track full bitrate for it? At least it doesn't use MPEG2 codec which should only be still used for SDDDVD.:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks