Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fantasy Island season 2 is on the way.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 of 52 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 05:43 PM

Yes but apparently these are MOD discs not digital downloads. MOD discs still require some resources to produce. I don't think it's "pure profit".

#22 of 52 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,091 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 06:49 PM

Then the MOD model must be part of the digital package. I'm just stating what Shout Factory's response was. Make of it what you will.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#23 of 52 OFFLINE   TV_Fan

TV_Fan

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted June 27 2012 - 06:59 PM

Sounds a typical Shout (or any comapny for that matter) standard reply for something they don't have an answer to. I still think its just an error and Shout probably doesn't even know about it. I've learned not to put much stock in Shout's answers anyway.

#24 of 52 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
I think its an error as well. Shout! licenses titles from the studios for a set period of time as has been stated elsewhere. I doubt the rights would expire so soon. I also doubt Sony would yank the rights if something went wrong with their relationship with Shout. It just doens't make sense. Also Diff'rent Strokes S3 is still coming next month.
  I don't see any listing on Amazon for S2 MOD release so this does look like its some sort of error?!  It would be a big blow to Shout! Factory if Sony severs ties with them as most of their classic TV releases in the past year or so have been coming from the Sony catalog.  They have released a total of 18 shows from Sony, including 9 new releases in the past year alone (Barney Miller, Diff'rent Strokes, Fantasy Island, Hazel, Here Come the Brides, Police Story, Police Woman, The Rookies & S.W.A.T.)  Without Sony their options are limited- they are not on good terms with Fox, Warner Bros. & Paramount do not sub-license out, which leaves Universal and possibly some independent companies as options to find content to release.   Hopefully they can finish off Hazel as that one seem to be doing very well judging by the pace at which the box sets are being released.

#25 of 52 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 09:44 AM

they are not on good terms with Fox, Warner Bros. & Paramount do not sub-license out, which leaves Universal and possibly some independent companies as options to find content to release.
And Brian Ward, known for his delightful works of fiction, had the nerve to deny the dispute between them and Fox. Brian's comments are the equivalent of Obama's "The private sector is doing fine".
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#26 of 52 OFFLINE   skees53

skees53

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 10:03 AM

They have licensed SOME stuff from Paramount and Warner... but not on the scale of Universal and Sony (and formerly Fox). They acquired Webster from CBS, not to mention the Nickelodeon series (which would have ultimately been released by Paramount had they not licensed them). And two years ago, Warner broke tradition a little bit and they were able to license Norm (which I doubt many people were truly excited about) and Max Headroom (a very long awaited release which I'm surprised Warner didn't do themselves). As for the whole "good terms" on Fox, I don't know what the situation is, but in any event, that argument is being blown way out of proportion. Clearly, Fox just stopped licensing stuff to anybody. People are dramatizing this like it was some big fight, lawsuit, knock him out, drag 'em down, stop selling our product now battle. If that were true, then it would seem awfully peculiar that every single one of the Fox releases from Shout! is still in print and readily available. And yes, I know that many Fox series, such as L.A. Law and more, are coming out through other studios in the UK and people are using that to say "but see, Fox IS licensing them the stuff, so it is just Shout! Factory's fault!"... but nobody is reading the fine print on those sets. Those studios releasing those DVDs are not licensing those series directly from Fox. Fox has handed over distribution of many series in the UK to another entity (Hollywood Classics LTD, they handle all rights, including television distribution and home media distribution, for series from several American studios), and studios such as Revelation Films have acquired those series from that entities such as those, NOT from Fox.

#27 of 52 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 11:30 AM

Is there anything we can do to get Fox to license out again? Or are they simply too ignorant and arrogant to listen to us?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#28 of 52 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nick and others, i have to believe this is just an error on Sony's part as maybe they meant Season 3 and not Season 2 of the original show. Like some of the other members have stated, they are still releasing a few other shows in the coming weeks (and hopefully continuing Hazel too with S4 and S5) and hoping someone from Sony or Cliff Mac can shed some light into this situation.

#29 of 52 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 02:35 PM

To Bryan H...Just by that statement alone they sent to you, that's a canned response.

#30 of 52 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,465 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 05:24 PM

It was a dumb response. It wasn't even an answer to his actual question. Bryan wasn't asking--or even implying--that Shout! should distribute Fantasy Island digitally, and yet that's the question they answered. I don't even care what they do anymore. I'm getting Fantasy Island from them, but that's the end of it. I was pretty much done with them after the whole "Peyton Place" fiasco anyway.

#31 of 52 OFFLINE   TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted June 28 2012 - 08:00 PM

Quote:
As for the whole "good terms" on Fox, I don't know what the situation is, but in any event, that argument is being blown way out of proportion. Clearly, Fox just stopped licensing stuff to anybody. People are dramatizing this like it was some big fight, lawsuit, knock him out, drag 'em down, stop selling our product now battle. If that were true, then it would seem awfully peculiar that every single one of the Fox releases from Shout! is still in print and readily available.
  Not sure if you are referring to me regarding the 'blowing things out of proportion' comment but my comment was merely alluding to the fact that Shout! has not continued with any further releases of any Fox shows they had the rights to nor have they acquired the rights to any others.  I think the reasoning behind this is very simple- Fox & Shout! have not been able to reach a deal on any further releases for the series that Shout! might want to continue releasing, its all about $$ and not about the two companies having a falling out or disliking each other- at least IMO.    
Quote:
Like some of the other members have stated, they are still releasing a few other shows in the coming weeks
  The series they have released recently or will be releasing soon are from previous agreements that were finalized a long time ago.  They acquired the rights to Police Story, Police Woman, S.W.A.T., The Rookies & Hazel last year yet they did not make it on the schedule until this year.  Fantasy Island & Diff'rent Strokes are more recent acquisitions but we do not know what the agreements entail and how many seasons of these shows they have acquired the rights to?!  I would wait and see what releases Shout! has coming down the pipe for the rest of this year and into the first part of next year before jumping to conclusions regarding their relationship with Sony.

#32 of 52 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,091 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 05:24 AM

Not satisfied with the response I received, I tweeted them again.....only to get another vague response. I'm not sure why they just can't give yes or no answers. Sorry guys, I tried. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bryan Do you have more Sony titles planned for this year? Some say your Sony deal has ended. ShoutFactory don't know that that's true. You'll have to stay tuned for future announcements. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

housekeeping 2.jpg

#33 of 52 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 11:15 AM

Bryan H, you might need to tweet Brian Ward or ask Cliff Mac as to what the statuses of selected shows might be. i still contend Sony made an error in season of what they plan to release for Fantasy Island, as I would believe they meant Season 3 and not 2, but that's just my two cents.

#34 of 52 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,091 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Richard. I just asked Brian Ward about the Sony/Shout status(he didn't even know about the Sony MOD FI sn2). Here is his response on learning about it today: "Yeah, just saw it. I can say that relations with Sony are fine. But not sure about the MOD. Of course, I'm just a producer."

housekeeping 2.jpg

#35 of 52 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,560 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 09:17 PM

In other words, Brian can only give us his best Sergeant Schultz impression ("I know NOTHING, NOTHING!")

#36 of 52 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 30 2012 - 01:44 PM

Brian Ward is nothing but a phony two-faced poseur. And, yes I am gonna keep on bashing him, until he grows a brain. He has done nothing but spew delightful works of fiction on the Internet, the oldest being "We have the rights to all eight seasons of "Ironside". He can't even program a message board properly. That's how dumb he really is. Don't like it? Too bad.

#37 of 52 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,991 posts

Posted June 30 2012 - 03:04 PM

Let's keep the personal bashing to a minimal.  I already deleted a post here because it was over-the-top.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#38 of 52 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts

Posted June 30 2012 - 08:16 PM

Regarding the FOX-Shout scenario, all I heard was that FOX wanted too much money for attaining the licensing rights to certain shows like Rhoda and Belvidere and others and Shout just didn't or couldn't afford to pony up a huge amount of dough to get it done. FOX has been stubborn in such instances but I'd still like to know if Sony made the error in season as to what they will be releasing via MOD in September for Fantasy Island because it just doesn't make sense to have two companies release the same season four months apart.

#39 of 52 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,091 posts

Posted July 01 2012 - 10:32 AM

I'm a bit confused about the Brian Ward hate myself. When I used to post at the forums on Shoutfactory, he was always helpful, and answered everything I asked him(unless it interfered with the business). But at the Shout forums he had many people bad mouthing him. I don't understrand it. I'm not saying that Shout is as consumer friendly as BCI was(I don't think we will ever see that kind of studio/consumer relationship again unfortunately) but Shout isn't too far behind.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#40 of 52 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,091 posts

Posted July 01 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm a bit confused about the Brian Ward hate myself. When I used to post at the forums on Shoutfactory, he was always helpful, and answered everything I asked him(unless it interfered with the business). He was always polite, and helpful, But at the Shout forums he had many people bad mouthing him. I didn't understand it then, and I don't now. I'm not saying that Shout is as consumer friendly as BCI was(I don't think we will ever see that kind of studio/consumer relationship again unfortunately) but Shout isn't too far behind.

housekeeping 2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users