What's new

"A Nightmare On Elm Street" InfiniFilm DVD coming (1 Viewer)

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

I don't see how they're going to top the previous transfer. Plus, I actually sought out the separate releases of the Elm Street films when they dropped in price, because I occasionally enjoy referencing the full camera negative (open matte versions were included with the single discers).

I wonder if they'll use the same transfer?

And I agree with Stanley Kubrick when it comes to extras (if this viewpoint can be attributed to him); it should be about the film, and we're getting to the point where we're turning movies into video games with these bells and whistles editions on dvd. ...To the extent that we feel let down by a movie only release. A great film that looks great on disc is enough for me, so maybe this new Elm Street disc will look better? The bar has been set pretty high by the previous release, that's for sure.

--Jack

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Jack, I understand to a certain extent. We don't need more CGI-crapfests like the stuff we've been getting recently. We don't need more gore and blood for the sake of gore and blood. We need smart movies that were made by people who cared.

But I think we, as people far removed from Hollywood and movie fans, should be able to hear and see the behind the scenes stories, how sequences were put together and the like. It's as close to H'wood as some of us are likely to ever get. I don't buy discs for the extras, I buy them for the movies.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I just hope that the damn thing plays. I haven't encountered a single Infinifilm dvd that didn't freeze-up or glitch in some way or another.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

I guess I've got nothing against the extras, just the growing sense that the films given a presentation that does them justice isn't enough anymore. Supplementals are nice, and I enjoy them...but when a film comes out "bare bones" with a stellar transfer and people are outraged, it feels like a sense of "bonus feature entitlement" has gotten out of control. Sometimes the film itself gets lost in the shuffle, as with a few dvds Entertainment Weekly reviewed where the film was mercilessly panned, but the discs got an "A" grade.

--Jack

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I agree, extras are seemingly becoming the thing that people care most about rather than the film itself. Not me, to me, if a film I like comes out with all the bells and whistles, cool, if not it's no big deal.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yup, have the Planitum Edition box set. And I'm not sure if I'm going to double dip on this one yet. Gotta see the reviews first. If there is an appreciable bump in quality and it's a realistic price, I'm going to consider it.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I wish they'd release Part 5 unrated. The VHS version was, I believe? Part one, as far as I know, wasn't cut all that much. I could be wrong about that though.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
You know it's wierd, I just graduated high school a week ago and I wonder if anyone else went through this with there movie habits when they were teenager but my taste severly changed when I enter Highschool and when I left. I mean I started really watching films about 2 years ago(34 left to go on AFI Best 100 list). And as I got older some movie simply just didn't make the cut anymore like Gone in 60 seconds wiht Nic Cage is simply crap to me now when I liked it before and movies like Videodrome and Casablanca are filling my viewing queues more so NoES is kind of like this for me.

Nightmare on Elm Street 1 is still to me an excellent horror film but the rest of the series is kind of meh now, except 3. I mean I use to really dig the cheesy horror movies but now they don't hold as much for me anymore except the original so I'll probably pick htis up but I watch NoES 1 so many times it's starting not to hold up as well :frowning:

Edit: Ha, I read my post from 2003 in the NoES thread below this one, and man was that a blast from the past... How things change :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Tastes change with age, it's normal for that to occur so what your going through is quite typical.

With me, all of my favorites from the 80's are still my favorites now, but there are certain films like The Wizard of Oz, a film I worshipped as a kid but utterly despise now. ANoES is one of those horror films where no matter how many times I see it, it still remains fresh to me because I go into with all memories of Freddy wiped from my mind.

It's sort of a "zen thing" that I do where I can erased all memories of him and thus he becomes what the characters in the film see him as...a scary phantom with knives for fingers and not the clowny, over-exposed comedan he later becomes. I essentially put myself back in time to 1984 and pretend that i'm seeing it for the first time, and it works very well.

This ability to psyche myself out may sound really wierd on paper but it works surprisingly well.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
They could just use the elements used for the original British release (at least for the censored moments). The cinema and initial video versions were entirely uncut.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
For a minute there, i thought that website had come back from the dead and I would be able to find some of my reviews lost to the ether...

Anyway, that cover is pretty spiffy...and I'm usually one to prefer original poster art, etc.

They have to really improve on the a/v quality to sibstantiate a double-dip, with a possible HD release on the horizon...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Guess it's too much to hope for the deleted scenes from the Image Entertainment VHS release to be ported over... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks