-

Photo

"A Nightmare On Elm Street" InfiniFilm DVD coming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted June 15 2006 - 02:47 AM

According to this article at Yahoo:

http://movies.yahoo.....035509100.html

New Line is releasing "A Nightmare On Elm Street" as part of their InfiniFilm DVD line September 26.

#2 of 99 Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
According to this article at Yahoo:

http://movies.yahoo.....035509100.html

New Line is releasing "A Nightmare On Elm Street" as part of their InfiniFilm DVD line September 26.

I don't see how they're going to top the previous transfer. Plus, I actually sought out the separate releases of the Elm Street films when they dropped in price, because I occasionally enjoy referencing the full camera negative (open matte versions were included with the single discers).

I wonder if they'll use the same transfer?

And I agree with Stanley Kubrick when it comes to extras (if this viewpoint can be attributed to him); it should be about the film, and we're getting to the point where we're turning movies into video games with these bells and whistles editions on dvd. ...To the extent that we feel let down by a movie only release. A great film that looks great on disc is enough for me, so maybe this new Elm Street disc will look better? The bar has been set pretty high by the previous release, that's for sure.

--Jack

#3 of 99 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 15 2006 - 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson
And I agree with Stanley Kubrick when it comes to extras (if this viewpoint can be attributed to him); it should be about the film, and we're getting to the point where we're turning movies into video games with these bells and whistles editions on dvd. ...To the extent that we feel let down by a movie only release. A great film that looks great on disc is enough for me, so maybe this new Elm Street disc will look better? The bar has been set pretty high by the previous release, that's for sure.

Jack, I understand to a certain extent. We don't need more CGI-crapfests like the stuff we've been getting recently. We don't need more gore and blood for the sake of gore and blood. We need smart movies that were made by people who cared.

But I think we, as people far removed from Hollywood and movie fans, should be able to hear and see the behind the scenes stories, how sequences were put together and the like. It's as close to H'wood as some of us are likely to ever get. I don't buy discs for the extras, I buy them for the movies.

#4 of 99 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,089 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 08:17 AM

I'm just hoping that this has ALL of the deleted scenes that were on the old Elite Entertainment laserdisc.

#5 of 99 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,799 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 15 2006 - 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
I don't buy discs for the extras, I buy them for the movies.
So you've either got the original release or you're not buying this release then? Posted Image

#6 of 99 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 15 2006 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cappelletty
I'm just hoping that this has ALL of the deleted scenes that were on the old Elite Entertainment laserdisc.

I just hope that the damn thing plays. I haven't encountered a single Infinifilm dvd that didn't freeze-up or glitch in some way or another.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 99 Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V

But I think we, as people far removed from Hollywood and movie fans, should be able to hear and see the behind the scenes stories, how sequences were put together and the like. It's as close to H'wood as some of us are likely to ever get. I don't buy discs for the extras, I buy them for the movies.

I guess I've got nothing against the extras, just the growing sense that the films given a presentation that does them justice isn't enough anymore. Supplementals are nice, and I enjoy them...but when a film comes out "bare bones" with a stellar transfer and people are outraged, it feels like a sense of "bonus feature entitlement" has gotten out of control. Sometimes the film itself gets lost in the shuffle, as with a few dvds Entertainment Weekly reviewed where the film was mercilessly panned, but the discs got an "A" grade.

--Jack

#8 of 99 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson
I guess I've got nothing against the extras, just the growing sense that the films given a presentation that does them justice isn't enough anymore. Supplementals are nice, and I enjoy them...but when a film comes out "bare bones" with a stellar transfer and people are outraged, it feels like a sense of "bonus feature entitlement" has gotten out of control. Sometimes the film itself gets lost in the shuffle, as with a few dvds Entertainment Weekly reviewed where the film was mercilessly panned, but the discs got an "A" grade.

I agree, extras are seemingly becoming the thing that people care most about rather than the film itself. Not me, to me, if a film I like comes out with all the bells and whistles, cool, if not it's no big deal.

#9 of 99 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 16 2006 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
So you've either got the original release or you're not buying this release then? Posted Image

Yup, have the Planitum Edition box set. And I'm not sure if I'm going to double dip on this one yet. Gotta see the reviews first. If there is an appreciable bump in quality and it's a realistic price, I'm going to consider it.

#10 of 99 EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted June 17 2006 - 02:52 PM

i truly hope new line finally releases the film uncut on dvd!!!

#11 of 99 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted June 17 2006 - 07:55 PM

I wish they'd release Part 5 unrated. The VHS version was, I believe? Part one, as far as I know, wasn't cut all that much. I could be wrong about that though.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#12 of 99 Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 02:00 AM

You know it's wierd, I just graduated high school a week ago and I wonder if anyone else went through this with there movie habits when they were teenager but my taste severly changed when I enter Highschool and when I left. I mean I started really watching films about 2 years ago(34 left to go on AFI Best 100 list). And as I got older some movie simply just didn't make the cut anymore like Gone in 60 seconds wiht Nic Cage is simply crap to me now when I liked it before and movies like Videodrome and Casablanca are filling my viewing queues more so NoES is kind of like this for me.

Nightmare on Elm Street 1 is still to me an excellent horror film but the rest of the series is kind of meh now, except 3. I mean I use to really dig the cheesy horror movies but now they don't hold as much for me anymore except the original so I'll probably pick htis up but I watch NoES 1 so many times it's starting not to hold up as well Posted Image

Edit: Ha, I read my post from 2003 in the NoES thread below this one, and man was that a blast from the past... How things change Posted Image

#13 of 99 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 03:18 AM

Tastes change with age, it's normal for that to occur so what your going through is quite typical.

With me, all of my favorites from the 80's are still my favorites now, but there are certain films like The Wizard of Oz, a film I worshipped as a kid but utterly despise now. ANoES is one of those horror films where no matter how many times I see it, it still remains fresh to me because I go into with all memories of Freddy wiped from my mind.

It's sort of a "zen thing" that I do where I can erased all memories of him and thus he becomes what the characters in the film see him as...a scary phantom with knives for fingers and not the clowny, over-exposed comedan he later becomes. I essentially put myself back in time to 1984 and pretend that i'm seeing it for the first time, and it works very well.

This ability to psyche myself out may sound really wierd on paper but it works surprisingly well.

#14 of 99 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,799 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 18 2006 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoE
i truly hope new line finally releases the film uncut on dvd!!!
I wouldn't get my hopes up. If I remember correctly, the uncut stuff on the laserdisc release looked really rough and didn't even have audio so it isn't going to be reintegrated into the movie.

#15 of 99 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 06:46 AM

They could just use the elements used for the original British release (at least for the censored moments). The cinema and initial video versions were entirely uncut.

#16 of 99 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 05:51 AM

DVDActive.Com has the specs for this release. They also note that the run time is 92 minutes, so hopefully that means that the trimmed 'Tina's Death' scene will be restored to the full uncut version. Posted Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Angle
Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street (IMDb)
Starring: Robert Englund
Released: 26th September 2006
SRP: $26.99

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a digitally remastered edition of A Nightmare on Elm Street which stars Robert Englund. The film will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby Digital 6.1 and Stereo Surround tracks. Extras will include feature-length audio essays with Wes Craven, Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp and more, a Never Sleep Again making of documentary, a House That Freddy Built documentary that looks at the legacy of New Line horror, and a Night Terrors documentary that looks at the origins of Wes Cravens nightmares. Completing the package will be a Freddy’s Coming For You trivia challenge, and some exclusive 'infinifilm' interactive video clips.
http://www.dvdactive....lm-street.html
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#17 of 99 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 11:26 AM

Why is Sony Pictures making the announcement? A typo perhaps?
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#18 of 99 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettGallman
Why is Sony Pictures making the announcement? A typo perhaps?
Yeah, it was a typo. They corrected it on the website. Posted Image
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#19 of 99 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,452 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted June 19 2006 - 12:43 PM

Quote:
DVDAngle.Com has the specs for this release.
For a minute there, i thought that website had come back from the dead and I would be able to find some of my reviews lost to the ether...

Anyway, that cover is pretty spiffy...and I'm usually one to prefer original poster art, etc.

They have to really improve on the a/v quality to sibstantiate a double-dip, with a possible HD release on the horizon...

#20 of 99 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 02:53 PM

Guess it's too much to hope for the deleted scenes from the Image Entertainment VHS release to be ported over... Posted Image

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow