-

Photo
- - - - -

Should the Major Studios Just Give Up?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#81 of 87 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,785 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 19 2006 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
A good indicator of a series on dvd is Amazon.com. Every time a classic tv show is released on dvd I always check the sales rank of the title. About 95% of the shows released break the top 100 mark.
Yeah but whenever a show is released that's from pre-1990, I assume that no stores will carry it so I order it online. Plenty of people think the same thing so it boosts Amazon's sales. If that wasn't true, why does Amazon sell so many and Best Buy or Wal Mart sell so few?

#82 of 87 Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryR
Carsey Werner in their greatness screwed up their DVD's - .

Didn't Carsey Werner make thier own decision to do syndicated prints of The Cosby Show? I didn't know that they had sold the rights to Shout Factory. Whoever was responsible for this, should be sued for deceptive advertising. This is because the pre-production box for Season 1 of TCS, claimed "original full-length network episodes."

Jack

#83 of 87 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 03:58 PM

Yes, for B&M's shelf space is limited. A store just can't carry everything, and even if they try to put out all of the season 1 shows, they probably don't bother ordering the 2nd season - partially because there is so much other stuff to put out on the shelves.

The studios just over-saturated the market, and ended up screwing themselves, and us. Even if you aren't on a budget, there is still only so much time you can devote to watching TV series. For the over 50 crowd, what if they wanted everything that has come out! Just imagine how utterly impossible it would be, time-wise.

I hope they find some way to reevaluate what they have done, cost/profit wise, and figure out how to get the rest of the seasons out. I am sure that for some shows, there is nothing stopping them - except for a certain amount of profit.

Glenn

#84 of 87 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
That's just it; there are a handful of internet posters. Because the vast majority of people in the world do not post in internet forums. Consider the postings you see here to be a sampling of public opinion.

If you believe that postings here are a representative sampling of public opinion, then there's really no reason to continue this discussion because that's just insane.

#85 of 87 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_F_S
If you believe that postings here are a representative sampling of public opinion, then there's really no reason to continue this discussion because that's just insane.

I would love for you to not participate in this discussion, because frankly your sarcastic "wit" and condescending nature conspire to piss me off.

#86 of 87 Ollie

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 11:47 PM

Quote:
A good indicator of a series on dvd is Amazon.com. Every time a classic tv show is released on dvd I always check the sales rank of the title. About 95% of the shows released break the top 100 mark. Most actually make it in the teens or better. Out of about 12,000 dvd's, and the sheer volume of dvd's bought through Amazon that is pretty darn good. It also shows there is a signifigant market for classic television on dvd.

Next weeks release of Family Affair is a GREAT example of this. On the DVD Talk website (www.dvdtalk.com) they already have posts detailing the DVD sales for Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target up for the week of 6/25. Not ONE of them is carrying Family Affair-Season 1 (which releases 6/27). I didn't expect to see it at Target, but I am frankly surprised that at least Best Buy is not carrying it. This totally eliminates the option of someone who would love to own the show, but doesn't track new releases on the internet seeing it on a store display shelf and picking it up. It appears that with this release, it's order online or nothing, so it should do quite well on Amazon and other online DVD e-tailers.

#87 of 87 Ollie

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted June 19 2006 - 11:47 PM

Quote:
A good indicator of a series on dvd is Amazon.com. Every time a classic tv show is released on dvd I always check the sales rank of the title. About 95% of the shows released break the top 100 mark. Most actually make it in the teens or better. Out of about 12,000 dvd's, and the sheer volume of dvd's bought through Amazon that is pretty darn good. It also shows there is a signifigant market for classic television on dvd.

Next weeks release of Family Affair is a GREAT example of this. On the DVD Talk website (www.dvdtalk.com) they already have posts detailing the DVD sales for Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target up for the week of 6/25. Not ONE of them is carrying Family Affair-Season 1 (which releases 6/27). I didn't expect to see it at Target, but I am frankly surprised that at least Best Buy is not carrying it. This totally eliminates the option of someone who would love to own the show, but doesn't track new releases on the internet seeing it on a store display shelf and picking it up. It appears that with this release, it's order online or nothing, so it should do quite well on Amazon and other online DVD e-tailers.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow