What's new

Vidity on a Roll as Ultra HD Business Takes Off (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
The technology, developed by the Secure Content Storage Association (SCSA), offers consumers the chance to store and move digital content, including Ultra HD files, around from device to device, from the biggest home theater system to the tiniest smartphone.

And observers expect demand for the technology to soar, now that Ultra HD is rapidly ramping up. Ultra HD, of course, is the much-ballyhooed next-generation viewing format, with four times the resolution and 64 times as many colors as HD. Will it take over? It already is taking over — to the point where Strategy Analytics projects that by 2020, less than five years from now, Ultra HD will account for 61% of annual TV sales. And that’s no pie-in-the-sky number; rather, it’s based on a survey of consumers conducted just last month.

"Ultra HD is rapidly becoming a de facto standard in the large-screen TV market," said David Watkins, director of connected home devices for Strategy Analytics. "As prices fall, tier one vendors like Samsung, LG and Sony are now looking to entice customers with enhanced UHD TVs which add wider color gamut and high dynamic range capabilities."

Vidity promises to benefit from this boom as well as further it. That’s because Vidity can be enabled to make it easy for consumers to access the Ultra HD movies they buy, either on a physical disc or as an electronic download, and easily move it around, from device to device — without an Internet connection or cumbersome passwords to type in, or concerns about buffering or other streaming issues.

The key to Vidity is that it’s platform agnostic, durable, future proof and ensures a high level of consumer experience and ease of use. It bridges the complexities of interoperability and compatibility across devices. It’s a standardized solution that takes advantage of technological advances in chipsets, operating systems and devices — from smartphones to tablets to computers to smart TVs — to enable the best possible digital entertainment experience without getting in the way of the experience and requiring the consumer to have a Ph.D. just to figure out how to make it work.

The industry is certainly gearing up its Ultra HD push — and Vidity plays right into that exciting new and improved way to watch movies. At IFA Berlin earlier this month and IBC, Nandhu Nandhakumar, SVP of advanced technology at LG Electronics, showed a preproduction prototype of an LG Vidity player device and tablet linked to a Western Digital My Passport Cinema 4K Ultra HD movie storage hard drive with HDR functionality. Both the hard drive and player devices conform to the Vidity platform and showcased cross device interoperability and accessibility, Nandhakumar said. The player device draws the content from the hard drive and “plays it over a secure HDMI 2.0a connection to the TV,” he said. LG said the player will be available in the first quarter of next year.

Also at IFA, Samsung announced the industry’s first Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, which supports HDR content and can play UHD Blu-ray at up to 60 frames per second. The player will also upscale standard Blu-ray Discs to UHD quality and, in line with the versatile nature of recent Blu-ray players, will also be able to stream 4K content as it becomes available. The Ultra HD Blu-ray player is expected to launch in early 2016.

The Samsung announcement included a presentation from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn, who vowed the studio’s support on the software side, saying the studio will release upcoming movies on Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc on the same day as standard Blu-ray and Digital HD. The studio will also go back and reissue recent films in Ultra HD, including Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Life of Pi and Fantastic Four.

These are two leading companies that are also supporting Vidity with product already in the market, and one can only hope that this “coincidence” will lead to the ultimate offering of UHD Blu-ray with Vidity Digital Bridge capabilities. This would eliminate any download wait times and provide the ultimate viewing experience, flexibility and control. Vidity should be embraced by all the major studios and made available with Blu-ray Discs or Ultra HD. Full eco-system support of Vidity would provide consumers with the best possible offering, giving them a reason to want to collect and own titles again.

That would really maximize Ultra HD’s potential for the studio’s home entertainment divisions.

Indeed, Vidity could be likened to the glue that holds it all together. Ultimately, with one purchase, the consumer could get not only the highest-quality Ultra HD file, but also HD and SD files, for viewing on less advanced devices like the bedroom TV or the older tablet you’ve handed down to your youngest son — you know, the one with the cracked screen. And since the content lives locally — on your hard drive, thumb drive or SD card — they would be instantly accessible, just like any JPEG or movie clip of Junior’s birthday party.

Vidity’s value chain can affect everyone in the home entertainment ecosystems in a positive manner.

The consumer can get to enjoy the highest-quality viewing experience imaginable, along with ease of use and the ability to move purchased content around from device to device. The file may be big, up to 60GB, but once it is downloaded from the Internet or hopefully copied over from the Blu-ray Disc it stays in the consumer’s actual possession.

The retailer can provide customers with the best-possible viewing experience for a variety of playback platforms, all with a single purchase, either on a disc or as a download.

The studio gets a mechanism that can fuel Ultra HD movie and TV show purchases, with the value proposition to the consumer that whatever is bought is both backwards compatible and forward facing. Vidity also enables new business models and encourages digital content collection.

And technology companies — well, for them, Vidity can open doors to Hollywood, a way to bring new business models and technology advances into the lucrative home entertainment food chain.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/high-def/vidity-roll-ultra-hd-business-takes-36735

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Richard V said:
I'm not getting this, why would anyone want to watch UHD content on a cell phone, or tablet?
I remember the same thing being said about 1080p. Vidity is a multi resolution format that also features lower resolution options for smaller devices.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
My issue with that article is that it misleadingly considers that the rising uptake of UHD hardware (mainly 4K TVs) will equate to a rising popularity in UHD media. We know from Blu-ray that this doesn't necessarily follow - almost everyone has a 1080p display but few have opted for 1080p media.

Unfortunately I see this as a trend for Home Media Magazine, who recently released a shamefully inaccurate and highly biased BDA-written article/puff piece promoting UHD Blu-ray.

If UHD succeeds, it won't be in physical disc form, and I also don't see "device bridging" as a major selling point. Vidity will succeed if it provides a genuinely stable, trustworthy, catalog-rich platform for people to own UHD digital downloads at an affordable price. I can see the average consumer going for such a proposition.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
"My issue with that article" is the same as every other article from that source.... It's press releases rewritten as faux journalism.
The source you speak of is the Variety Group which owns HMM. Variety magazine is a well respected source for the industry both on the technical as well as the actors side of the business. That said Sam is 100% there are a few writers in the HMM that IMO are faux (armchair) journalists.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Totally agreed Tower. It's not that industry rags aren't valuable sources of information but you need to be VERY suspicious of any good news regarding market success from them, this is the whole point, their reason for being.

They are boosters. Cheerleaders. Not objective journalists.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Is Vidity still a thing? usable?
I now have a 4K TV and finding I don't have enough bandwidth to stream it, and can't get anymore. Is there a way to download 4K from Vudu, Netflix or any of them?

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
There's a game change @ Vidity just brought out by Fandango. But so far no policy changes ! Still the Studios can pull a title form the sites for anything reason! I don't think the USA is ready, remember DIVX ?

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Vudu, Netflix and Amazon all have 4K HDR services and Sony has it's own dumb, overpriced silo too. Vidity and MGO appear to be dead men walking IMO.

Yeah I've pretty much given up on UV retailers giving us the option to download our movies/TV shows & transfer to other devices. So I've started redeeming codes on iTunes instead of UV & even buying TV shows/movies on iTunes, even though I didn't own a Apple device.

It should've been obvious Vidity was gonna be an irrelevant flop with the way they rolled it out that ot was only gonna support certain strorage devices. That is just idiotic.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
...So I've started redeeming codes on iTunes instead of UV & even buying TV shows/movies on iTunes, even though I didn't own a Apple device

Why not still redeem both the iTunes and UV codes? You never know what the future holds for either of the services...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks