Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do i need a screen? Or do i use the wall?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   jesseJordyn

jesseJordyn

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 17 2006 - 04:33 PM

I am getting a projector which will work from 50-300 inches. I am going to use it at around 150inches. Can i just project it on to my white wall or do i need a screen? Whats the difference? The screen seems to limit my size

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted May 17 2006 - 11:45 PM

Like so many other things in Home Theater...

"It depends."

A good flat or matte white or gray makes a good surface. A good piece of sheetrock makes a nice screen - if it was hung property and doesn't have a lot of ripples, screws, et cetera.

A "real" screen may offer a few benefits, though:
1. different gain performance (higher, lower, et cetera)
2. option (expensive) for acoustic transparency
3. much more expensive in general.

If your situation allows for it, by all means start with the wall. If you find you need something else, you can always add it later.

Leo

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   jesseJordyn

jesseJordyn

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 01:27 AM

thank you very much for your help. I plan to paint the wall a color that will best benifit the picture quality

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 01:38 AM

If you intend to paint, then you should check out this site:

http://www.goosystems.com/

They can tailor the paint to the type (and even in some cases the model) of the projector you'll be using.
Joseph
---------------

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   jesseJordyn

jesseJordyn

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 12:50 PM

thanks a lot!! I am readind about GOO now!!Posted Image

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,688 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 06:04 AM

Jesse,

Welcome to the forum!

Some of us love to make their own painted wall like a screen.

Here are two of the (many) threads were they discuss it:
http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=178056
http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=187165

Here's a link (also to be found in those threads above) to a description of our member/moderator Neil Joseph, who made a beautiful screen himself (and had to find out a good paint):

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=203687

Good luck with your project!

Cees

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   RickRO

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 02:25 PM

jesse,

As a temporary measure before I finish my basement I have painted a 77 inch (diagonal) screen on my poured basement wall. I used a flat ultra white interior latex. Works very well for a temp fix until I build my theater was very pleased with the result. I think that painting a screen will give you the most options.

Just out of curiosity what projector are you getting? 150 inch screen is very big if you can make it work kudos to you. How far are you sitting away from the screen?

Good luck and regards,

RickRO

PS. I was PMed a DIY mix by a subject on another forum if you PM me I'll send that to you to add to your list.
"The only good bug, is a dead bug." ~ Starship Troopers

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   jesseJordyn

jesseJordyn

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 12:06 PM

i haven't measured yet but it will be about 26 feet away from the screen. I thought a general rule was that you take the size of your screen and divide it by 1.5, and thats how far you have to be away from the tv. So for a 50' tv you would go 50x1.5=75. So you would have to be 75inches away from the tv. Please correct me if i am wrong

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,688 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 09:22 PM

Jesse,

Correct.
So, like you actually did, you have to multiply the width of the screen by 1.5 to get the "ideal" distance.

Cees

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 07:48 AM

Also check out www.DIYtheatre.com
It is what I used. I liked what I read there better than screengoo.
As far as seating distance, thats variable. I prefer to be much closer than that. Especially if you do most of your video viewing in HD, 1.4 or even 1.2 works very well. Most of what I do is watch DVDs, computer or HDTV. My seats are 8 feet away with about a 90" diagonal screen.
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

My Equipment

Pics - Theater in progress

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   jesseJordyn

jesseJordyn

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 03:53 PM

i am guessing that the projector will always need to be watched in a dark room or else the pic will look terrible?

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,688 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 09:05 PM

Jesse,

In principle: yes.

However, there are certain screens (and the links above point you to a similar solution Neil Joseph worked out) to diminish the return of "false light" (by choosing a grey colour), while at the same time increasing the reflection of the projector lights in the direction of the audience (by a special surface treatment), thus resulting in a screen that is more forgiving for moderate ambient lighting in the room.

Look for "Greyhawk" types of screens (and paints).

Cees

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   jesseJordyn

jesseJordyn

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 02:07 AM

wouldn't a projector with more LUMENS also help fix that problem?

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted May 26 2006 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseJordyn
wouldn't a projector with more LUMENS also help fix that problem?

To a certain extent, yes. but in a room that has a lot of ambient light, your colors are going to be washed out and your blacks just wont be black. You are afterall projecting onto a white or grey wall. LUMENS will help you if your image is going to be really big, but if your room isn't dark enough, no ammount of LUMENS is going to help.
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

My Equipment

Pics - Theater in progress

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   David-Wright

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 10:37 AM

You think you want a 150" screen and you think you want to put the projector X feet back. The great thing about using the wall as your screen (at least to start) is you get to try it out and see what you really like. You may find out that you want to sit closer, or the projector can't really throw that big of an image and be bright enough. So try it on you white wall get comfortable with it and then see if you think a screen would really improve the image that much.

In my current home theater I am still using the white wall and the paint isn't even that good and it still looks great.
David-Wright