What's new

Do i need a screen? Or do i use the wall? (1 Viewer)

jesseJordyn

Auditioning
I am getting a projector which will work from 50-300 inches. I am going to use it at around 150inches. Can i just project it on to my white wall or do i need a screen? Whats the difference? The screen seems to limit my size

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Like so many other things in Home Theater...

"It depends."

A good flat or matte white or gray makes a good surface. A good piece of sheetrock makes a nice screen - if it was hung property and doesn't have a lot of ripples, screws, et cetera.

A "real" screen may offer a few benefits, though:
1. different gain performance (higher, lower, et cetera)
2. option (expensive) for acoustic transparency
3. much more expensive in general.

If your situation allows for it, by all means start with the wall. If you find you need something else, you can always add it later.

Leo

jesseJordyn

Auditioning
thank you very much for your help. I plan to paint the wall a color that will best benifit the picture quality

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jesse,

Welcome to the forum!

Some of us love to make their own painted wall like a screen.

Here are two of the (many) threads were they discuss it:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=178056
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=187165

Here's a link (also to be found in those threads above) to a description of our member/moderator Neil Joseph, who made a beautiful screen himself (and had to find out a good paint):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=203687

Good luck with your project!

Cees

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
jesse,

As a temporary measure before I finish my basement I have painted a 77 inch (diagonal) screen on my poured basement wall. I used a flat ultra white interior latex. Works very well for a temp fix until I build my theater was very pleased with the result. I think that painting a screen will give you the most options.

Just out of curiosity what projector are you getting? 150 inch screen is very big if you can make it work kudos to you. How far are you sitting away from the screen?

Good luck and regards,

RickRO

PS. I was PMed a DIY mix by a subject on another forum if you PM me I'll send that to you to add to your list.

jesseJordyn

Auditioning
i haven't measured yet but it will be about 26 feet away from the screen. I thought a general rule was that you take the size of your screen and divide it by 1.5, and thats how far you have to be away from the tv. So for a 50' tv you would go 50x1.5=75. So you would have to be 75inches away from the tv. Please correct me if i am wrong

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jesse,

Correct.
So, like you actually did, you have to multiply the width of the screen by 1.5 to get the "ideal" distance.

Cees

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Also check out www.DIYtheatre.com
It is what I used. I liked what I read there better than screengoo.
As far as seating distance, thats variable. I prefer to be much closer than that. Especially if you do most of your video viewing in HD, 1.4 or even 1.2 works very well. Most of what I do is watch DVDs, computer or HDTV. My seats are 8 feet away with about a 90" diagonal screen.

jesseJordyn

Auditioning
i am guessing that the projector will always need to be watched in a dark room or else the pic will look terrible?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jesse,

In principle: yes.

However, there are certain screens (and the links above point you to a similar solution Neil Joseph worked out) to diminish the return of "false light" (by choosing a grey colour), while at the same time increasing the reflection of the projector lights in the direction of the audience (by a special surface treatment), thus resulting in a screen that is more forgiving for moderate ambient lighting in the room.

Look for "Greyhawk" types of screens (and paints).

Cees

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

To a certain extent, yes. but in a room that has a lot of ambient light, your colors are going to be washed out and your blacks just wont be black. You are afterall projecting onto a white or grey wall. LUMENS will help you if your image is going to be really big, but if your room isn't dark enough, no ammount of LUMENS is going to help.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
You think you want a 150" screen and you think you want to put the projector X feet back. The great thing about using the wall as your screen (at least to start) is you get to try it out and see what you really like. You may find out that you want to sit closer, or the projector can't really throw that big of an image and be bright enough. So try it on you white wall get comfortable with it and then see if you think a screen would really improve the image that much.

In my current home theater I am still using the white wall and the paint isn't even that good and it still looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks