Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Problems with DVDPlanet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Charles_Y

Charles_Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia suburbs

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:19 AM

I tried putting this in the "Retailers and Wholesalers" Forum and got no response and was hoping for some help here.

Is there anyone out there that orders from DVD Planet regularly? I'm a LONG time customer and order almost monthly. I was quite dismayed to find the website completely changed with a number of alterations for the worst today since I last ordered (3/5/06).

My existing Wish List is gone and the ability to add a new one difficult to set up at best. The search/sort filters on "Upcoming titles" is gone and overall I'm more than disgusted with this company. I've had some problems with them for a few years now but this is the final straw.

My primary question, can someone point me to a comparable competitor? The things that matter to me most in order are:

1) Selection
2) Pricing
3) Shipping costs (if any? - i.e. Media Mail)
4) Option of a Wish List
5) Stock "indicators"

I've dealt with a few others in the past, but it's been some time and I'd like to do business with someone that is similar, particularly in selection and pricing, as DVD Planet.

This is a dark day for me. I hope a brighter tomorrow in ordering DVDs online awaits somewhere else.

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:22 AM

DVD Planet combined with Digital Eyes starting April 1st, that is probably why you are having problems.

I order from Digital Eyes, DVD Empire & Deep Discount DVD. Deep Discount has the best prices, but Digital Eyes comes close, especially if you use their coupons plus you accumulate buyer points.

#3 of 29 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,094 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:24 AM

DVDPlanet and Digital Eyes just merged and the new website launched this weekend. Below is the new link.

http://www.digitaley...m?affiliate=DPS

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 29 ONLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:36 AM

A representative from Digital Eyes posts occasionally at DVD Talk. He said they are aware that the merger made people's "wish lists" disappear and will be working on trying to restore it. Hopefully, the other functions of the site will be fine-tuned, soon.

I mainly order from Deep Discount DVD and Amazon myself.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:38 AM

I find dvdempire to be the most organized. They have the best search function for my needs. I also like that they have the option to view the back covers.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   JerryKILL

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 07:10 AM

Isn't Digital Eyes just Deep Discount DVD by another name? I know they both ship from Itasca, IL. Does this mean that DVD Planet is now just another outlet for Deep Discount? This leaves DVD Empire as about the only major competitor to DDD when it comes to online prices, maybe Overstock (very occasionally).
"It is the unique power of cinema to allow a great many people to dream the same dream together and to present illusion to us as if it were strict reality. It is, in short, an admirable vehicle for poetry."

-Jean Cocteau, The Testament of Orpheus

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
I find dvdempire to be the most organized. They have the best search function for my needs. I also like that they have the option to view the back covers.

They also ship out the same day and my preorders arrive weekly on my doorstep on Monday like clockwork (with expedited shipping). Their preoder manager tool is awesome as well, giving you complete control over your orders (unlike some other sites which don't allow you to even cancel online).

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 07:40 AM

I also recommend DVD EMPIRE. I have been using it since they opened, and the control that you have over the pre-orders (credit card, address, shipping method, cancellation or addition) is awesome. Their customer service and overall information is outstanding. I notice that the "Coming soon" of DVD Planet no longer carries the "Date Announced" or "Recent Additions" option so you need to go through all the Coming soon titles.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 08:46 AM

Isn't Digital Eyes just Deep Discount DVD by another name? I know they both ship from Itasca, IL. Does this mean that DVD Planet is now just another outlet for Deep Discount? This leaves DVD Empire as about the only major competitor to DDD when it comes to online prices, maybe Overstock (very occasionally).

While you state a very commonly-held belief, I believe you are incorrect. The confusion comes because DVD Planet (which began life as Ken Crane's, and was formerly owned by Image Entertainment), Deep Discount, and Digital Eyes all used the same "order fulfillment center" in Itasca, IL. However, until the recent DVD Planet-Digital Eyes merger, they were--AFAIK--three separate companies.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
This leaves DVD Empire as about the only major competitor to DDD when it comes to online prices, maybe Overstock (very occasionally).

I normally use DVD Price Search when ordering online, and about 9 times out of 10, it's either DDD, DVD Empire, or Amazon with the best price. Overstock, DVD Pacific, DVD Universe occasionally show up too, but not very often. The thing with Amazon is they're either the clear winner or they aren't even in the top ten.

However, DDD has the best sales -- not just the 20% off ones, but buy-two-get-one-free offers, half-price on select titles, etc. I just wish they'd add a "hold till complete" option.

For order management, though, it's DVD Empire hands down -- I love being able to add items to an existing order with only a couple clicks, and canceling parts of an order without calling or emailing.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:32 AM

I had to cut down using DVD Empire as their prices have gone up on certain studios and they have done away with coupons. I order quite a few DVDs, so price becomes very important to me. A shame as they have the best website and order management.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   JerryKILL

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:53 AM

"...all used the same "order fulfillment center" in Itasca, IL."

I'm curious how this works. Does this OFC (order fulfillment center) charge the various etailers the same price? Does this mean they (etailers) actually do not have physical DVDs at their location? Sounds like a gigantic drop shipping game (and why can't I get in on it?)
"It is the unique power of cinema to allow a great many people to dream the same dream together and to present illusion to us as if it were strict reality. It is, in short, an admirable vehicle for poetry."

-Jean Cocteau, The Testament of Orpheus

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   DwayneH

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:56 AM

My one and only order with dvdplanet was terrible. They would not respond to my e-mails after the first but they at least refunded my money. They promised to send me the correct items but didn't. I will never order from them again. They say they have good customer service but that was a lie. At least for me. I either order from Amazon or buy in the store (Wal-Mart or Target).

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
I'm curious how this works. Does this OFC (order fulfillment center) charge the various etailers the same price?
No. Prices are negotiated between the studios, e-tailers and suppliers.

Quote:
Does this mean they (etailers) actually do not have physical DVDs at their location?
Yes and no. Some maintain inventory for consistent sellers, while having others drop-shipped.

Quote:
Sounds like a gigantic drop shipping game (and why can't I get in on it?)
That's about right. The Itasca distribution center is operated by Ingram, the industry's largest book and video distributor. They also supply product for Amazon, among others. (You can. You'd first need to set up a website or an infomercial, then negotiate terms with the studios and Ingram. Posted Image )

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 11:05 PM

Problems with DVDPlanet? That's "ancient news"!

It still makes me somewhat angry every time I hear that this crummy store is still there doing business.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 01:28 AM

I've never had the slightest problem with DVD Planet. I used to use DVD Empire, but they developed a nasty habit of charging my credit card twice for every order, and claimed it was my bank's problem, not theirs, despite the fact that I never had that problem anywhere else. I hope this new change is for the better.
Tom Rhea

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 01:35 AM

I'd noticed that DVD Planet no longer has the same "Recently Announced" link. I always enjoyed checking that out at the end of the business day. They would sometimes scoop the other sites on new release news. I hope the "new" DVD Planet will restore that feature ---

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 04 2006 - 01:46 AM

I ordered a bunch of stuff in February from three different sites. I didn't have a problem with any of them, including DVD Planet. I was rather impressed, to tell you the truth.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
However, until the recent DVD Planet-Digital Eyes merger, they were--AFAIK--three separate companies.
Yes, they were 3 separate companies but they were (and still are) owned by the same parent company.

As for those of you who have had problems with DVD Planet in the past, you may want to give them another site since the new merged store is being run by the head of Digital Eyes, a site I have had zero problems with in the 2 or so years I've been ordering from them.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 05:13 AM

If you've had no problem - that is NOT when you learn whether a business has (good) customer service or not.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow