What's new

Problems with DVDPlanet (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have ordered from Digital Eyes since more than 8 years now. Occasional (very occasional) problems were always solved to my satisfaction.

They had (have) a Frequent Buyers Points scheme that generally makes them one of the least expensive sites for me, together with the bonus coupons and very reasonable shipping costs.

I can understand some of the frustrations of the original poster, but to me the fact that the site now resembles the previous DE's site is extremely convenient: I have scripts that use their Just Announced pages and a script using my User Account page, to fill my DVD database and keep track of my (pre-)orders and shipped orders. It appears to work flawlessly through the recent transition (merger), and I'm grateful for that.

If their service stays exactly the way it was (or even better :) ), the combined company will be a very good choice for many customers and will certainly be mine for many years more.

Cees

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Hello again! As the original poster, I just wanted to add that in checking out the new site after the merger with Digital Eyes, I've noticed quite a number of choices have been removed and a reduction in some other functionalities have resulted as well.

In trying to contact Cusomter Service to answer questions, I was treated to mostly indifference. This has been similar to the few times in the past I've had to call them. LORD! Is decent customer service a thing of the past?! If this is an example of the "new crew," they may not be much better.

Re: the features - sure, they've added payment by PayPal and a frequent buyers program - all well and good, but have taken away a number of features. That just sucks!

Example 1: my previous orders in order history only list the title, amount and DVDPlanet price. The retail price, indicating how much I saved, the shipping costs (ok, I choose Media Mail - free. It's still nice to have) and mostly importantly, the freaking TOTALS are missing! I can't track my spending there at a glance and have to use extra steps in my DVD Profiler to obtain it.

Example 2: The Wish List can be created now but it will no longer save it (for the moment) or list the street date, which helps me as I dump titles for future purchase there and rarely pre-order but prefer to purchase only as the title(s) arrives. Without it I have to go back to the title's description to find out when it streets and if it happened to come in a week or more previous then you don't even have a date provided just "in stock" or "on order."

I admit I probably do business differently than most buyers, but I've been quite happy with browsing and ordering through their site till now. My previous complaints really related to orders that got messed up - look out! It appears that allot of information (vis a vis titles, orders, wish lists, titles sorting capabilities, etc.) has been removed from various locations of their site, probably to make their job easier - less data to enter and update but much worse for the customer.

I've always liked their selection and pricing. Keeping most of their titles at 30% off seems to beat the competition. There are exceptions but overall Deep Discount and DVDPlanet are fairly close in this regard with the others maybe 4 or 5 dollars up from there. I don't like to pick and choose titles by price, otherwise I might have orders all over the place. I usually buy a number of DVDs at one time and prefer to purchase from one source at a time.

I guess the DVD/CD outlet of my dreams will forever remain elusive. My other choices in the past have included Amazon, Deep Discount, DVD Empire and Tower Records on-line.
So, unfortunately, I haven't heard anything new out there.

Thanks for the confab though folks!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I gave Planet away years ago and turned to Deep Discount and Amazon.
I have only recently discovered DVD Pacific and they are Terrific.

Their prices are as cheap as anybody's and their service on my last 4 or 5 orders has been excellent.

Highly Recommended.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I've used Planet without any problems in the past and was going to pre-order one of Fox's box sets from them. However this title, which was there prior to the switch-over, is no longer there.

Back to Laser's Edge for me.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I gave up on DVDPlanet years ago when they had money problems, and they may still for all i know. But the problems i had with orders not shipped, used copies, smashed packing boxes, crappy to non existant customer service will keep me away even if they gave away free DVDs.

However, i loved Ken Crain's back in the LD days.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
from what I remember-and I think I was told by a CSR, DVD Planet and DDD are now the same company-or owned by it; And it appears then that DE has joined the ranks;

AFAIC, the "Discount" is getting "shallower" at DDD to the point where its often worth spending the extra $.50-$1.00 at local B&Ms to get a disc in a timely fashion. Used to be you could save big there.
But you cant beat Planets 30% off Criterion prices, nor DDDs twice yearly 20% off sale.-which hopefullly they still do.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Me too. I always loved when I came from school, or work, and there was that oversized box sitting at the front door. I always appreciated the way Cranes packed the LDs with plenty of bubble-wrap. Those were the days.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I've only dealt with DVDPlanet and Digital Eyes a few times. Mainly DeepDiscoutDVD because they price match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks