-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Some More Grateful Dead Remasters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted March 08 2006 - 04:20 AM

Some more of the Dead's remastered studio stuff representing much of their studio output in the 70s became available as individual discs yesterday. It had previously only been available in the box set, which I do not have.

I had been looking forward to these individual remasters as they represent more modern recordings than the previously released remasters and are also more complex musically, encompassing albums such as "Wake of the Flood", "From the Mars Hotel", "Blues for Allah", and "Terrapin Station".

I bought "Blues for Allah" (always my favorite studio album of their's) yesterday and am quite impressed with the job they did with it. The recording has always sounded very dull and flat (to me, anyway) and benefits considerably from the remastering.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#2 of 4 Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 09:50 AM

I was perusing CD vendor sites earlier this week and came across this list of CDs on one of them (maybe CD Universe). Didn't realize these were fresh releases. Thanks for the heads up on the audio quality. Not a big Dead fan, but I may be inclined to purchase one or more.

Thanks.

Doug

#3 of 4 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 04:07 AM

I assume you're talking about the Rhino releases. I'm thinking of ordering this version of "Wake of the Flood":

http://www.amazon.co....=glance&n=5174

#4 of 4 ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
I assume you're talking about the Rhino releases

yes

The are doing all these remasters. As I said, this remastered material was all included in the big box set a couple of years back, but I didn't want that packaging and waited diligently for these to be released individually.

The first batch of individual remastered releases of the older stuff came out a while back. These others were a while coming.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."