What's new

Which Studio(s) do you expect to be the most frustrating for HD releases? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'm concerned mostly with just releasing content- not the actual quality or substance of the releases.
considering WBs recent announcement, it looks safe to say that they are enthusiastic about the next generation, and of course Sony(and by proxy MGM) has a vested interest in Blu-ray so that would seem to indicate they'll be front and center whenever that format gets going...but which studios do you expect to cop an indifferent attitude over HD?

my guesses would be Paramount, Universal and Fox will be the ones dragging their heels when it comes to putting out catalog material for at least the first several years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unless there is a big number of early adapters, I don't think any studio is really going to release that many catalog titles for years. As the number of people buying high def players grows, the number of titles will grow but I think most studios will be very slow in releasing them.

I hope I'm wrong though. :)

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I think Paramount is the most lukewarm, at this point, with Universal a close second. Fox seems quite excited by comparison.

Paramount was slow to jump on DVD, and are still fairly slow to release material. Fox started DVD slow, but once they jumped in, they jumped in bigtime.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the question from a different angle....Universal will be most frustrating because of their horrible quality control.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

"i'm" just the opposite.
However, I believe will both be unhappy with the first year of releases of this new format.
Don't think it will be as bad as DVD-A/SA-CD for you.
Just, it going to be S L O W !

Juan C

Second Unit

Then I'm happy I won't be able to buy any Universal titles (how's that for sour grapes).

Warner wanted to use red laser for HD so I fear they will skimp on the bit budget.

John Milton

Second Unit
Universal is the only real problem right now. I'll be picking up a BD player when they are released and as it stands now Universal is the only studio not giving me a single movie to purchase this year. :frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Ed, i was talking about quantity and catalog depth, not quality, just for the purposes of this discussion.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Yeah, let's see if they release The Little Mermaid on Blu-ray. That will be proof of how "bullish" they actually are.

PerryD

Supporting Actor

Right, remember that each year that a Disney classic doesn't get released in high-def, we may have to wait for several more years before that title's release window opens up again.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
So, not having enough stuff to gripe about in the here-and-now, we must launch a thread devoted to predicting which studio is going to piss us off most when it comes to releasing product in one or both of two hi-def formats, neither of which has actually made it to market yet, or even been reviewed. And some people say that HT enthusiasts are whiney cry-babies. ;) Where do ideas like that come from? :D

Regards,

Joe

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Well...I'm not saying I'm not a cry-baby- but being 'frustrated' is a bit different than being 'pissed off'.

otherwise...yeah. its a negative discussion.
what can I say? Some people are glass half full types.
Some people are glass half empty's.
I'm a "don't you have a cleaner glass than this" type?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If Sony's first Blu-Ray titles out of the gate do not set the world on fire in terms of A/V quality, especially with them using MPEG-2 and many early titles on BD-25 discs then I'd be most frustrated with them until they started using 100% BD-50 discs on all their titles (until they switch to a more efficient codec). MPEG-2 needs peaks in the 30-40 Megabits/sec range to look its absolute best and they're predicted to use 16 or so (VBR, yes, but still)!

16 Megabits/sec AVERAGE VBR (with greater bitrate peaks) is the prime number for both MPEG-4 AVC HP and VC-1 to start to look transparent to a 1080p D-5 source tape... and that is what they're going to use for MPEG-2! That's crazy!

Well, I guess there's always the inevitable Sony "Superbit" version to look forward to. Ugh!

Of course, what boils right down to it is this: the studios you're most pissed at with DVD will probably be the same ones for HD: Sony, Universal, Disney, Paramount and the rest of the gang! Their attitudes will affect HD media as well.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks