-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Which Studio(s) do you expect to be the most frustrating for HD releases?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted February 03 2006 - 07:55 AM

i'm concerned mostly with just releasing content- not the actual quality or substance of the releases. considering WBs recent announcement, it looks safe to say that they are enthusiastic about the next generation, and of course Sony(and by proxy MGM) has a vested interest in Blu-ray so that would seem to indicate they'll be front and center whenever that format gets going...but which studios do you expect to cop an indifferent attitude over HD? my guesses would be Paramount, Universal and Fox will be the ones dragging their heels when it comes to putting out catalog material for at least the first several years.

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 24,431 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 03 2006 - 08:14 AM

Unless there is a big number of early adapters, I don't think any studio is really going to release that many catalog titles for years. As the number of people buying high def players grows, the number of titles will grow but I think most studios will be very slow in releasing them.

I hope I'm wrong though. Posted Image

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted February 03 2006 - 08:17 AM

I think Paramount is the most lukewarm, at this point, with Universal a close second. Fox seems quite excited by comparison. Paramount was slow to jump on DVD, and are still fairly slow to release material. Fox started DVD slow, but once they jumped in, they jumped in bigtime.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

• 5,404 posts

Posted February 04 2006 - 09:15 AM

Looking at the question from a different angle....Universal will be most frustrating because of their horrible quality control.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

• 3,320 posts

Posted February 04 2006 - 09:28 AM

"i'm" just the opposite. However, I believe will both be unhappy with the first year of releases of this new format. Don't think it will be as bad as DVD-A/SA-CD for you. Just, it going to be S L O W !
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   StephenP

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 05:24 AM

I agree with Dave H.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 05:35 AM

Then I'm happy I won't be able to buy any Universal titles (how's that for sour grapes). Warner wanted to use red laser for HD so I fear they will skimp on the bit budget.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 07:44 AM

Most movies I like are from Universal. So I KNOW I'm screwed. Posted Image

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   John Milton

John Milton

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 12:37 PM

Universal is the only real problem right now. I'll be picking up a BD player when they are released and as it stands now Universal is the only studio not giving me a single movie to purchase this year. Posted Image

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

• 1,392 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 12:49 PM

Yep, I say Universal's lack of BD support is very frustrating right now.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 04:46 PM

Ed, i was talking about quantity and catalog depth, not quality, just for the purposes of this discussion.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 08:04 PM

Good news for any mouse-huggers out there. Posted Image

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 04:17 AM

Yeah, let's see if they release The Little Mermaid on Blu-ray. That will be proof of how "bullish" they actually are.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg T

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 12:21 PM

Disney owns Pixar, Miramax, Touchstone Pictures ect....and according to them, this is a war without a battle....and I agree.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 03:33 PM

Right, remember that each year that a Disney classic doesn't get released in high-def, we may have to wait for several more years before that title's release window opens up again.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 14 2006 - 09:20 AM

So, not having enough stuff to gripe about in the here-and-now, we must launch a thread devoted to predicting which studio is going to piss us off most when it comes to releasing product in one or both of two hi-def formats, neither of which has actually made it to market yet, or even been reviewed. And some people say that HT enthusiasts are whiney cry-babies. Posted Image Where do ideas like that come from? Posted Image

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

• 1,825 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 06:05 AM

Universal. Why stop their streak now? Posted Image
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 11:34 AM

Well...I'm not saying I'm not a cry-baby- but being 'frustrated' is a bit different than being 'pissed off'. otherwise...yeah. its a negative discussion. what can I say? Some people are glass half full types. Some people are glass half empty's. I'm a "don't you have a cleaner glass than this" type?

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

• 2,714 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 01:13 PM

If Sony's first Blu-Ray titles out of the gate do not set the world on fire in terms of A/V quality, especially with them using MPEG-2 and many early titles on BD-25 discs then I'd be most frustrated with them until they started using 100% BD-50 discs on all their titles (until they switch to a more efficient codec). MPEG-2 needs peaks in the 30-40 Megabits/sec range to look its absolute best and they're predicted to use 16 or so (VBR, yes, but still)! 16 Megabits/sec AVERAGE VBR (with greater bitrate peaks) is the prime number for both MPEG-4 AVC HP and VC-1 to start to look transparent to a 1080p D-5 source tape... and that is what they're going to use for MPEG-2! That's crazy! Well, I guess there's always the inevitable Sony "Superbit" version to look forward to. Ugh! Of course, what boils right down to it is this: the studios you're most pissed at with DVD will probably be the same ones for HD: Sony, Universal, Disney, Paramount and the rest of the gang! Their attitudes will affect HD media as well. Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users