Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sirius S50 Sat Radio recording/MP3 player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 03:22 AM

I'm interested in this unit. I have read that the original specs have been modified to comply with RIAA threats/sanctions against recording sat radio. Specifically, I heard it no longer allows you to time recordings of music (you can only record one song at a time and have to press record for each one) and only allows you to schedule 2 hours at a time of "shows" for a maximum of 20 scheduled recordings. I'm not interested in a true "portable", I just want to timeshift Howard and this seemed like the answer. Anyone have any details or experience with this player?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 04:53 AM

Like you, I have researched this player as well. The fact that you cannot record scheduled music and save it as an mp3 is meaningless to me, since any music I would want to store via mp3 would come from my own collection anyway. I would like it for the idea that it can record Howard and I can listen to it whenever.

As for being "truly portable", from what I have read, Sirius will be coming out with an add-on device that will let it receive a live signal without being docked.

My thinking is that it's a lot of money to drop on just a receiver(the home docking kit alone retails for $100) for one. I feel that a new and improved version will be along in a year so, with many of the kinks worked out; and possibly not even need an add-on device to make it truly portable. I personally think it's best to hold off on this model and get something cheaper like the Sportster or the Starmate. Both have great rebates that make them very reasonably priced. I think I can get use out of the Sportster for now and possibly upgrade a year or so down the line. There are also rumors that the iPod might eventually come out with a model that can receive satellite in the future, as talks with Apple and Sirius have been going on for a while now.

I know I would just feel crumby if I dropped $400 on this and then a better model came out a year from now.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I currently have an XACT player I paid $0 for (due to a mismarked pre-rebate price at BJ's), so I'm in no hurry. From what I hear, this is a quality piece, but like you, I'll be waiting till the price comes down.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted December 14 2005 - 12:21 PM

I think this one is going to be a very hot item. However much like the IPOD I think you will see some much devices come out in the next three quarters.

I am going to hold till next fall till the come out with something that is truely portable.