Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting radio station that uses music's DNA to recommend songs...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 10:22 AM

I saw this article linked on Slashdot:

Unraveling Music's DNA: Pandora Media's 'Music Analysts'
Dissect Songs to Recommend CDs

Quote:
Mr. Coons, 45 years old, is contributing to what Oakland, Calif.-based Pandora Media Inc. calls the Music Genome Project -- an ambitious effort to create DNA-like blueprints for songs and then use them to make music recommendations based not on opinion, but on science. The company believes its music recommendations are so accurate that users will pay $36 a year for them.

Anyone try this yet?
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 08:07 AM

I stumbled upon Pandora a few weeks ago. Mostly I listen to classical music and haven't listened to the radio in years (It's just not worth enduring all the crap and commercials for maybe one decent song an hour...).

I absolutely love Pandora! It's been an outstanding way to find new music that I like. I've made a lot of amazing discoveries that I otherwise probably never would have.
...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   TomCW

TomCW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 09:55 AM

Most of the time, Pandora is spooky amazing at picking music you'll like, at other times it's way off the mark. Be sure to tell it that you 'like' or 'don't like' each song it plays so it gets (alledgedly) smarter.

Tom
I like to live in an altered state/ it makes me love all the things I hate.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Gabriel.H

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 01:35 PM

pandora has definitely helped me find a bunch of bands I have never heard of that are totally amazing....I get the occasional "why the hell do they think I would like this song" type of song every once and a while, but it does a pretty good job for the most part.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, I've found a bunch of stuff from about 15-20 stations I set up. I set them up based on different bands or songs across different genres. Not perfect for sure, but as you tune it by telling it what songs you like or not (as well as maybe adding more bands and songs to the base reference) it gets pretty consistent.

The only "problem" is it tends to play lots of the same songs if you restart a station.

Along with recently signing up for emusic.com (40 downloads a month for $9.95 - ends up being about 30 cents Canadian a song), I've been hearing lots of new stuff lately. Some of my emusic downloads have been based specifically on what I heard on pandora.

Edit: By the way, if anyone is wondering from the quote in the first post, the pandora.com service is currently free.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   kamyiu

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 10:30 AM

i tried pandora a few months ago, i didn't like it much. last.fm is much better for me.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 11:16 AM

I have to try this. I had a thought many years ago, that if you could "deconstruct" the different elements of a song that a person likes, that then you could "predict" what other stuff a person might like. Looks like someone has finally done it. Posted Image

But my idea was having a computer do the analysis, sort of like AI. Be a lot quicker and easier to analyze large numbers of songs.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted February 18 2006 - 12:40 PM

I tried it out and it works pretty well. One issue is the size of the database, a fair number of old or somewhat obscure artists weren't recognized. The basis for making one artist or song similar to another is sometimes not very obvious and it will make some big mistakes because of apparent similarities that don't work. I found, for instance, that entering some 60's instrumentals got me a strange mix of that era and current dance/electronica that isn't at all to my taste but could be coded as being alike. On the other hand putting in a couple of West Coast "cool" jazz artists did result in a consistent string of stuff that's good and in a few cases from artists that I didn't know or at least didn't know the album/track in question.

Very interesting idea. Conceptually a little like what AllMusic.com tries to do with the genre exploration although not with the stream audio. All-in-all it worked better than I'd have expected especially across such a broad range of music.
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted February 19 2006 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
last.fm is much better for me.
I tried and abandoned last.fm before discovering Pandora. In addition to being forced to install yet more clutter, it didn't play nearly as good of music (for me) and did not have nearly the capacity for fine-tuning as Pandora (the ability to have multiple stations, each with its own focus).
...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted February 19 2006 - 03:22 PM

Played with Pandora some more and is seems clear to me that it gives better results if you seed it with songs and not groups. Unless the group is very consistent in its music, a group's output spreads out over enough territory to make Pandora work less well. It also interesting how rapidly it can drift with a few "I like" inputs. I got the most closely grouped set of music by giving it a couple song titles and then using only "I don't like" votes to steer it away from undesired areas.

Oh, and the lack of real depth in Pandora's catalog shows up pretty quickly. After a couple hours I started seeing the same groups and albums repeatedly and I had the feeling that it had run through everything that fit the mold I'd created.
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 05:20 PM

This is a neat program! It's not perfect, but it does help analyze what I like in my favorite songs and plays some interesting music that's new to me.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 10:26 AM

Glad you guys are having some success with it - I had forgotten about Pandora myself - I guess I'll have to try it. Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

Forum Nav Content I Follow