-

Photo
- - - - -

Would you buy a set for only one season?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   ThomasMon

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 06:51 AM

I don't know about you all, but when I buy a show on DVD, I fully plan on buying every season of that show. If I knew in advance, I would most likely never consider buy just one season. I am wondering how you all feel about that.

Shows that I bought because I could not wait to see if other seasons were being released are:
Happy Days
Diff'rent Strokes
NYPD Blue

There are also plenty of shows I have not bought while I waited for future sets to be released. The top shows I would buy if they did release every season are:
Party of 5
Who's the Boss
Thomas A. Montalto

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 07:13 AM

I buy what I feel will be good entertainment value for money. So, I bought Buffy up through season 5 but probably won't ever buy seasons 6 & 7.

When I look at buying Season 1 of something, whether or not there will be a season 2 doesn't really enter into my mind. It strikes me as just silly not to get something I like because something else I like may not be released later.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 08:45 AM

Would you buy a set for only one season? Sure . . . sometimes that's all you can get. "Barney Miller" is a great example. I'd buy other seasons if they were available, but apparently sales of season 1 have not merited the release of subsequent seasons.

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 08 2005 - 08:47 AM

I've seen many people say they only plan to buy the first season of War of the Worlds. I'm sure if Universal releases the fourth season of Airwolf, there will be many people who will stop at the first three.

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 08:56 AM

I won't hold off waiting for future seasons to be released. But when they are released, I have to pick them up. I'm too obsessive to leave something incomplete when the option is available. On the other hand, I'm very picky and haven't ever ran into this problem. Every show I've picked up, I've loved from start to finish.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:36 AM

For the most part if I love a show I like it enough to want the entire run. But for a series that runs out of steam towards the end I might make the later seasons a lesser priority. I "backburner" those. I haven't gotten the last couple of sets of M*A*S*H but will eventually. Most long-running series go on for too long - at least a season or two. But with shows like Designing Women & Roseanne I would get every season even if the later ones were weaker.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:43 AM

With any show I buy, I love the show enough to want to get the whole series. If I'm not committed, I won't get it.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:45 AM

Its either all of them or nothing for me

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   Elizabeth_S

Elizabeth_S

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:49 AM

i might but usually when i start with one season, i end up with a bunch of them...

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 10:03 AM

I've never liked only one season of a show, so no. But I'm not a completist, so if there are seasons I do not like of a show that I do like, I won't buy them. Except for the last 2 seasons of Seinfeld. They're not terrible but they're not nearly as good as the previous seasons.

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted September 08 2005 - 10:18 AM

Would I? I already have.

I bought season one of Starsky and Hutch and that was the only season I intended to buy.

I felt the earlier, grittier shows were better than the later ones, when ABC moved the show to an earlier time period and wanted the violence turned down and the humour turned up.

And, of course, who can't love Lalo Schifrin's original theme tune that summed up the tone of the first season so well.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Dean C

Dean C

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I would.
I bought The Original Scooby Doo and Son of the Beach dvd's. They seem to not finish these series.

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 08:55 PM

Sure, it just depends.

I only own Simpsons Seasons 5 and 6. Why? My most favorite episodes are on those and I didn't feel I would view the other seasons enough to own them. I am also not a power fan of the show. Just a casual one.

I own Nip Tuck Season 2 because I thought it was great and has F.J. in it. Season 1 was good, but not as good as Season 2 to me and didn't have F.J. I also just liked the episodes more, especially the last half of the season.

Those are just a couple examples of multiples I have.

If I have unlimited funds, I would be a completist with a 10,000 DVD collection (which would be great). I tend to want my most favorite seasons of shows. This way, I can still have a wide variety of shows to choose from, even if I don't own every season. Basically, I want my most favorites first. From there I will go down. But, so much is released there seems to always be a favorite coming out.

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Martin_C

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:04 PM

I bought Alias S1 when it first came out, a few months later [at the end of S2] I stopped liking the show. If I had known, I probably wouldn't have bought S1.

I make a choice not to buy DVD Sets of shows where I only like certain episodes or seasons.

So I pretty much am a completist. If I buy one season, I will buy them all. With one sort of exception. I stopped collecting The West Wing with Season 4. But I tell myself what I have _is_ a complete collection, cause when Sorkin left it literally became another show.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 10:27 PM

I liked Xena right up until S5 (When she had the baby. Posted Image )

After that, it got stupid. Posted Image

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Roman-K

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 01:28 AM

I bought Wonder Woman and King of the hill S1 because they were on sale for $19.99 CAD. Not interested in S2 of either unless they go cheap.
Alive Web Directory | The Longest | Play Free Games Online

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:38 AM

I'm a strange case because I don't watch broadcast TV. Ever. The only thing I watch live on TV are sports. So if I hear of a show with good buzz that sounds like something I'd be interested in, I'll blind buy it on DVD.

And that leads to my shelf being littered with incomplete series. For example, I have the first two seasons of The West Wing but have no desire to see any more of it. I have the first four seasons of the Sopranos, but that will be the end of it for me. I have the first set of Seinfeld, but I won't buy any more. I bought the first set of Moonlighting, but I won't buy any more even if they are released. I have the first two seasons of Oz, but no more. First three seasons of Alias, no plans to go further with it. I have the first season of La Femme Nikita (got it for $5 in Columbia House introductory offer), and I would love to see the second, but not enough to pay $75 for it.

Only ones I cared enough about to purchase the entire run were Buffy and Angel.

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted September 09 2005 - 05:18 AM

When Enterprise season 4 comes out it will be mine. I wont own the other 3 seasons. I own the first 5 of The X Files, first 3 of MASH. I have 10 of the 40 Star Trek volumes (cant make me buy Plato's stepchildren) and i stopped after season 2 of Star Trek:TNG only because at $100 a pop i couldn't swing it at the time. Now i wait to see if we will get a price drop on them. I have a lot of TV on DVD that are not the whole run. Course i have quite a few that are the the whole series. Wish Farscape was still around. I didn't watch the show much on Si Fi, but couldn't wait til the next DVD set came out!

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 05:33 AM

If I buy a show, I make sure I want it bad enough (replay value) to go for the entire run. The only series I have in limbo are the ones that are currently in a release cycle(e.g.,Magnum, PI, The Bob Newhart Show, etc.) or have not had any more seasons available (e.g., Barney Miller).
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Roger_S

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 08:12 AM

I recently got the first seasons of both The Flintstones and Murphy Brown because they were temporarily on sale for $15 each. I'm not that big a fan of either but I like having one season of each so I can get a taste of it whenever the mood strikes me. Some shows I like enough that I want a sampling of but don't feel I have to have every single episode.