What's new

Would you buy a set for only one season? (2 Viewers)

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you all, but when I buy a show on DVD, I fully plan on buying every season of that show. If I knew in advance, I would most likely never consider buy just one season. I am wondering how you all feel about that.

Shows that I bought because I could not wait to see if other seasons were being released are:
Happy Days
Diff'rent Strokes
NYPD Blue

There are also plenty of shows I have not bought while I waited for future sets to be released. The top shows I would buy if they did release every season are:
Party of 5
Who's the Boss

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I buy what I feel will be good entertainment value for money. So, I bought Buffy up through season 5 but probably won't ever buy seasons 6 & 7.

When I look at buying Season 1 of something, whether or not there will be a season 2 doesn't really enter into my mind. It strikes me as just silly not to get something I like because something else I like may not be released later.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Would you buy a set for only one season? Sure . . . sometimes that's all you can get. "Barney Miller" is a great example. I'd buy other seasons if they were available, but apparently sales of season 1 have not merited the release of subsequent seasons.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've seen many people say they only plan to buy the first season of War of the Worlds. I'm sure if Universal releases the fourth season of Airwolf, there will be many people who will stop at the first three.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I won't hold off waiting for future seasons to be released. But when they are released, I have to pick them up. I'm too obsessive to leave something incomplete when the option is available. On the other hand, I'm very picky and haven't ever ran into this problem. Every show I've picked up, I've loved from start to finish.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
For the most part if I love a show I like it enough to want the entire run. But for a series that runs out of steam towards the end I might make the later seasons a lesser priority. I "backburner" those. I haven't gotten the last couple of sets of M*A*S*H but will eventually. Most long-running series go on for too long - at least a season or two. But with shows like Designing Women & Roseanne I would get every season even if the later ones were weaker.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
With any show I buy, I love the show enough to want to get the whole series. If I'm not committed, I won't get it.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I've never liked only one season of a show, so no. But I'm not a completist, so if there are seasons I do not like of a show that I do like, I won't buy them. Except for the last 2 seasons of Seinfeld. They're not terrible but they're not nearly as good as the previous seasons.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Would I? I already have.

I bought season one of Starsky and Hutch and that was the only season I intended to buy.

I felt the earlier, grittier shows were better than the later ones, when ABC moved the show to an earlier time period and wanted the violence turned down and the humour turned up.

And, of course, who can't love Lalo Schifrin's original theme tune that summed up the tone of the first season so well.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes, I would.
I bought The Original Scooby Doo and Son of the Beach dvd's. They seem to not finish these series.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Sure, it just depends.

I only own Simpsons Seasons 5 and 6. Why? My most favorite episodes are on those and I didn't feel I would view the other seasons enough to own them. I am also not a power fan of the show. Just a casual one.

I own Nip Tuck Season 2 because I thought it was great and has F.J. in it. Season 1 was good, but not as good as Season 2 to me and didn't have F.J. I also just liked the episodes more, especially the last half of the season.

Those are just a couple examples of multiples I have.

If I have unlimited funds, I would be a completist with a 10,000 DVD collection (which would be great). I tend to want my most favorite seasons of shows. This way, I can still have a wide variety of shows to choose from, even if I don't own every season. Basically, I want my most favorites first. From there I will go down. But, so much is released there seems to always be a favorite coming out.

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Alias S1 when it first came out, a few months later [at the end of S2] I stopped liking the show. If I had known, I probably wouldn't have bought S1.

I make a choice not to buy DVD Sets of shows where I only like certain episodes or seasons.

So I pretty much am a completist. If I buy one season, I will buy them all. With one sort of exception. I stopped collecting The West Wing with Season 4. But I tell myself what I have _is_ a complete collection, cause when Sorkin left it literally became another show.

LizH

Second Unit
I liked Xena right up until S5 (When she had the baby. :frowning: )

After that, it got stupid.

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Wonder Woman and King of the hill S1 because they were on sale for $19.99 CAD. Not interested in S2 of either unless they go cheap.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I'm a strange case because I don't watch broadcast TV. Ever. The only thing I watch live on TV are sports. So if I hear of a show with good buzz that sounds like something I'd be interested in, I'll blind buy it on DVD.

And that leads to my shelf being littered with incomplete series. For example, I have the first two seasons of The West Wing but have no desire to see any more of it. I have the first four seasons of the Sopranos, but that will be the end of it for me. I have the first set of Seinfeld, but I won't buy any more. I bought the first set of Moonlighting, but I won't buy any more even if they are released. I have the first two seasons of Oz, but no more. First three seasons of Alias, no plans to go further with it. I have the first season of La Femme Nikita (got it for $5 in Columbia House introductory offer), and I would love to see the second, but not enough to pay $75 for it.

Only ones I cared enough about to purchase the entire run were Buffy and Angel.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
When Enterprise season 4 comes out it will be mine. I wont own the other 3 seasons. I own the first 5 of The X Files, first 3 of MASH. I have 10 of the 40 Star Trek volumes (cant make me buy Plato's stepchildren) and i stopped after season 2 of Star Trek:TNG only because at $100 a pop i couldn't swing it at the time. Now i wait to see if we will get a price drop on them. I have a lot of TV on DVD that are not the whole run. Course i have quite a few that are the the whole series. Wish Farscape was still around. I didn't watch the show much on Si Fi, but couldn't wait til the next DVD set came out!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If I buy a show, I make sure I want it bad enough (replay value) to go for the entire run. The only series I have in limbo are the ones that are currently in a release cycle(e.g.,Magnum, PI, The Bob Newhart Show, etc.) or have not had any more seasons available (e.g., Barney Miller).

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got the first seasons of both The Flintstones and Murphy Brown because they were temporarily on sale for $15 each. I'm not that big a fan of either but I like having one season of each so I can get a taste of it whenever the mood strikes me. Some shows I like enough that I want a sampling of but don't feel I have to have every single episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks