Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

LOTS of Rush DVD's coming soon...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 06:08 AM

I have read on other message boards (Rush Related) that Anthem Entertainment has confirmed the upcoming release of the following Rush DVDs:

Posted Image

R30: Rush's 30th Anniversary Tour (new, obviously)

A Show of Hands (re-release on DVD)

Grace Under Pressure Tour Video (re-release on DVD)

Exit... Stage Left (re-release on DVD)

I AM VERY VERY EXCITED ABOUT THESE!!!

You can read a bit more about it at www.rushmessageboard.com

The post is buried there somewhere. Sorry for lack of link.

From what I read, they had a Fall release scheduled, but with Rush, you never know.

:b
Guess what...

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 06:39 AM

Oh yea baby!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 11:37 AM

oooooh, exit stage left! I hope these are remastered well!

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 07:31 AM

Show of Hands!?

Posted Image MINE!!
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,656 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 26 2005 - 07:39 AM

Thisum Kickum Muchum Assum!!!! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 07:42 AM

Ohh, rock. These are all Excellent titles. Let's hope the PQ & AQ on the R30 disc is better than the recent Rush:In Rio DVD.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 08:01 AM

I hope Geddy Lee's voice isnt speeded up on these selections like they are on all their cds.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   David Stone

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 06:47 AM

Let's hope the PQ & AQ on the R30 disc is better than the recent Rush:In Rio DVD.

R30 is infinitely better than the Rush: In Rio disaster. HIGHTLY recommendedPosted Image

Still no word on DVD release of "Through The Camera Eye". There were some good videos on that collection that didn't make it into the "Chronicles" collection. It would be nice if they included the never-before-released-on-DVD ones as bonus material (or even easter eggs) on the new concert discs.
"I don't want my B&W films colorized, my films cropped in any way (including matting 4:3 OAR TV for 16x9 TV!!) or my Star Wars films 'special editioned'!"
Preserve our film history for future generations!

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted November 30 2005 - 07:02 AM

Just got home with R30 and am absorbing the interviews.

I assume the outcry against the RIO set is in reference to the audio mix.

Great to hear that the "old stuff" is getting a DVD release. My SHOW OF HANDS vhs is well worn, and the GUP and ESL videos were two I only had mono dubs of.

COUNTDOWN was missing from the Chronicles DVD. Was that the only one?

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 07:44 AM

Hope I'm not out of line with this question in this thread but has anyone seen "Neil Peart: Anatomy of a Drum Solo" or "Neil Peart: Work in Progress"? Curious as to how these are. The last time I saw them ("Counterparts" tour and had front row center tickets that I won from a radio station)I think 3/4 of the concert I just watched him. That man is amazing! Posted Image
Forgot to mention that the Jerry Stiller part was hilarious/entertaining.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 08:40 AM

Exclusive: Producer Sheds Light On Working With Rock Band Rush

October 12, 2005 8:04 p.m. EST

Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Montreal, Canada (AHN) - Rush's producer and director Pierre Lamoureux sheds light on the upcoming "R:30 - Rush Live In Frankfurt, Germany" DVD package that is set to hit stores November 22.

Lamoureux is responsible for the huge undertaking of not only the "R:30" package but the DVD releases of "Exit Stage Left...," "Grace Under Pressure Tour - 1984," and "A Show of Hands" all of which are being released in 2006 in both a special box set and individual package.

"There is a lot of work that has gone on with the band over the last year," Lamoureux says in an exclusive with All Headline News.

"We have the entire Rush catalog in our hands. Not just the studio material they have released on albums, but every single demo or song that has not been released as well. We are setting Rush up for the future for releases that will be able to have 5.1 audio mixes along with SACD formats down the road."

The news is obviously going to make every Rush fan shine from Bangkok to Lakeside Park in Canada, but Lamoureux insists it only gets better from here.

"For obvious reasons I can't get into every detail about the band's business and future but I can assure you the concerts that we are re-releasing are not straight VHS to DVD transfers. These are color touched, remastered, and re-mixed in 5.1 stereo and we are deciding which extras we will add to each in the coming days. We are basically done with everything except the extras and that decision lies with the band.

Lamoureux reveals that the "Grace Under Pressure" DVD in particular might hold special surprises for fans down the road; some suprises, never thought to be possible.

"We found the footage for 'Grace'," Lamoureux says.

"The concerts will be released in the same format as the original releases including track listing and running time of the actual concert. But down the road when Blue-Ray technology becomes more popular and we are able to extend things out to levels beyond where we are at currently...we can then go back and release the found footage that was not on the original release."

Lamoureux adds that the frustration of the job has been finding the footage to begin with. As a matter of fact, he is asking for any information leading to people who worked on the crews of the filming of "Exit Stage Left..." and "A Show of Hands" to please come forward and contact them.

"We know someone has the film from those shows... we just need to get them at this point. It could be someone who worked with a former producer, a film crew member... anyone at this point. We didn't expect to find the 'Grace Under Pressure stuff... and we did.'"

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson and engineer Rick Chycki did the engineering for the 2-audio CDs for the deluxe package of "R:30" and Lamoureux's brother Francois did the audio chores for the recording of the concert itself.

"The band decided they wanted to do this half-way through the tour so it was a matter of getting things going quickly and trying to find venues," Lamoureux adds. "I approached the band's management SRO about filming Rush on their anniversary tour and they turned me down being so close to their "Rush In Rio" project. As the tour went on they decided it would be a great idea but it was too late to film Radio City Music Hall and Red Rocks although we talked about it, we just couldn't get crews into the cities at the right time."

Lamoureux admits that the DVD was almost filmed in Montreal but the band opted for Germany instead.

"It was a great crowd in Frankfurt and the DVD will display that. It was originally going to be even shorter (R:30 is not a complete concert) but the band decided they wanted to add even more material from the concert because it all came out so well, thankfully we didn't have a glitch the entire night... so that material will probably be used somewhere down the road."

Stating the fact that a Rush show is not an easy task (clocking in at over 3 hours and 15 minutes) Lamoureux says,"I have never worked so hard in my life, it was like working two concerts in one night..a double shift, but watching the guys in Rush perform is just an amazing experience."

http://www.allheadli...cles/7000499636

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 09:52 AM

Hope I'm not out of line with this question in this thread but has anyone seen "Neil Peart: Anatomy of a Drum Solo" or "Neil Peart: Work in Progress"? Curious as to how these are. The last time I saw them ("Counterparts" tour and had front row center tickets that I won from a radio station)I think 3/4 of the concert I just watched him. That man is amazing!

Anatomy of a drum solo is not out yet (due on December 20 the last time I saw).

A Work in Progress is an instructional video where they show Neil in a recording studio playing the drum parts (full songs) for the Test For Echo album. After each song is performed, Neil then breaks down the different parts of the song, and explains how he came up with the different rhythms.

There is a thread in the Music section about these Rush releases. I also posted the information in regards to Anatomy there as well, but I will copy it here:

Anatomy Of A Drum Solo: The Hudson music website has details regarding Neil Peart's new instructional DVD, Anatomy Of A Drum Solo. "Anatomy of a Drum Solo presents newly-recorded, in-studio footage of Neil discussing, in detail, his approach to soloing. Using a solo recorded in September, 2004 in Frankfurt, Germany, as a framework, Neil talks about each segment of this nine-minute tour de force that is a feature of each Rush performance. He describes the inspiration and the conceptual thinking behind each part of the solo and discusses, and often demonstrates, the technique necessary for playing that segment. Also included are two 'explorations' - completely improvised workouts at the drums, each over thirty-minutes long; a never-before-released solo recorded in Hamburg, Germany in September, 2004 ("Ich Bin Ein Hamburger"); 'O Baterista', Neil's Grammy Award-nominated solo (previously released on the Rush in Rio DVD); two full Rush performances from Frankfurt ’04, all shot from the perspective of the drum cameras; interviews with Lorne Wheaton, Neil’s drum tech, and Paul Northfield, Rush co-producer and engineer; a full-color booklet, a photo gallery and more." - Oct. 13, 2005

Rush fanatatics may be especially excited to hear that the special features will include home footage of J.R. Flood, circa 1970, as well as audio-only bonus marimba tracks, "Momo’s Dance Party" and "Pieces of Eight" (visit the "Solo Projects" page for more information on these latter two tracks. The DVD is scheduled for release Dec. 13th from Hudson music.

DVD Disc 1 - Tracklist (Running Time: 3:22)
Anatomy of a Drum Solo
Der Trommler (recorded September, 2004, Frankfurt)
Neil’s analysis and discussion of Der Trommler and of his approach to soloing
Sidebar 1-Exclusive Hamburg solo (Ich Bin Ein Hamburger)
Sidebar 2- Exploration #1
DVD Disc 2 - Tracklist
Bonus Features
Exploration #2
O Baterista (solo from Rush in Rio)
Interview with Paul Northfield, Rush co-producer and engineer, and Lorne Wheaton, Neil’s drum tech
Lorne Wheaton setting up and talking about Neil’s drumkit
Two Rush performances from the perspective of the drum cameras
A Previously Unreleased Solo from Rush’s 1994 Counterparts Tour

Special Features
Alternate Edits-During parts of Neil’s analysis of "Der Trommler," the viewer can choose between two different edits, one with related playing examples in full screen and one with Neil in view while the playing example is shown in a separate inset. These spots are identified by an on-screen icon.
Audio-only bonus marimba tracks, "Momo’s Dance Party" and "Pieces of Eight," composed and performed by Neil, which can be accessed at various points in the program.
Camera-Option---During Neil’s performance of "Der Tommler", the viewer can choose between the program edit and two, isolated cameras, for different views.
Home footage of J.R. Flood, one of Neil’s first bands, circa 1970.
Two Rush performances ("Tom Sawyer" and "Subdivisions") recorded Frankfurt, September, 2004 from the perspective of the drum cameras.
Bonus Footage-A previously unreleased solo from the Rush Counterparts tour recorded March 27, 1994 at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan [most likely this is footage originally filmed for the scrapped "Different Stages" DVD release]
Photo Gallery
Web Links

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   David Stone

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 10:21 AM

Quote:
I assume the outcry against the RIO set is in reference to the audio mix.

I heard more complaints about the "Rush In Rio" audio mix, but I hated the pointless, rapid-fire editing even more. Here's part of an Amazon customer review of "Rush In Rio" that I feel hits the mark well (slightly edited for content)...

Basically, the visual recipe for this DVD is this: 1 or 2 seconds of Alex playing a chord, 2 seconds of Neil doing a drum fill, 1 or 2 seconds of Geddy singing or playing bass, 1 or 2 seconds of the audience or audience member yelling into the camera and 1 or 2 seconds of the entire venue. Repeat this entire sequence over and over for 90 plus minutes without stopping.

This DVD sucks! I suppose this is a product of MTV, but why in the hell do some music DVD's have to be littered with those non-stop 2 second quick cuts! It has literally ruined the DVD viewing experience. This style of hyper editing is great for non-musical acts like Britney Spears and P. Diddy videos, but not a real band like Rush. I want to see Rush play their instruments!

Quote:
COUNTDOWN was missing from the Chronicles DVD. Was that the only one?

I don't have them it in front of me, but I believe COUNTDOWN, VITAL SIGNS and THE BODY ELECTRIC were all included on "Through The Camera Eye", but missing from "Chronicles".
"I don't want my B&W films colorized, my films cropped in any way (including matting 4:3 OAR TV for 16x9 TV!!) or my Star Wars films 'special editioned'!"

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 10:33 AM

VITAL SIGNS and THE BODY ELECTRIC

Ah, yes. 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 ... S - O - S...

It would be nice to see the GUP videos as extras on the concert DVD. I wonder if we'll get any 3-D sequences? That'd be cool. The Weapon was one, if I recall correctly...

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 02:21 PM

Oh, no, another rapid fire video? Pass.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 02:32 PM

Oh, no, another rapid fire video? Pass.

If you're referring to R30, you're totally wrong. The video is not quick cuts and moving camera, it's deliberate and calm; the audio is great, too. Lifeson is co-credited on the 5.1 audio production. It's as if they actually read the fan reactions to the last one.....

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 02:46 PM

You're right, I misread that. I hated the Rio DVD. I'm glad R30 isn't like that.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   David Stone

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 02:49 PM

Correct. I was answering Mark B's question about the "Rush In Rio" DVD. I just edited that post to make it more clear. The new "R30" is fantastic and nothing like the "Rush In Rio" release.

The wife commented that "R30" looks like they they went out of their way to not make the same mistakes twice. It does appear that all the complaints about the "Rush In Rio" were heard by the top brass.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 03:26 PM

It does appear that all the complaints about the "Rush In Rio" were heard by the top brass.

Though I still think I am owed a proper Rio with an audio fix. Oh, well....the second disc was a real treat. Guess that's what I got for my money.

It's funny...25 years ago I lived and breathed all things Rush. In the 90s I sort of drifted off in other directions, but every once in a while I come back to them for a spell and enjoy it all with renewed exuberance. There is really something quite special and unique about these guys. Saw them live in 1996 and will never forget it. I must have looked strange; just standing there staring, head cocked slightly to the right, mouth open and motionless from the neck down for 3 hours...

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted November 30 2005 - 11:21 PM

DITTO!

Forum Nav Content I Follow