What's new

Are these Speakers good? (2 Viewers)

ted*

Agent
Hi guys I am a newbie to HT Systems. So please be patient while I ask for your expert advise.

I am going to buy a Sony 50" Plasma soon and would like a home audio system to go with it.

I am planning on getting the following:
Receivers:
Harman Kardon AVR 630 7.1 Receiver
OR
Yahama HTR 5890
(would love to hear input on this if you have any)

Now for the speakers this is what I was thinking:

1 x Ascend 340 Center
2 x Ascend CBM 170 for Front
2 x Ascend HTM 200 for Rear

Sub- Unknown would love some input ($250-350 range)

Are those speakers good? And do they match?

Thank you in advance!
Ted

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ascend is a very reputable speaker manufacturer. I'd certainly label them good, heck maybe even great.

On the sub side, I have to deferr to others here in this price range....

The cheapest sub I suggest anymore is the Velodyne DLS5000 and can be had for between $500 and $800....

If I really only had $250 to $350, I think I would DYI my sub myself with a 15" driver. I am just down period on single 12" driver sub solutions these days period.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
What is your room dimension (volume-wise) and layout (closed or opened to other rooms, concrete/hardwood or carpeted, how many windows)?

Since you're getting the ascends (very good speakers, indeed), why not just get the entire package from their site?

That is, the ascend speakers, Hsu sub (maybe STF2, depending on your room size (volume), and HK receiver. That's a lot of receiver in the HK 630 (why not get the latest 635, instead)? What I'd suggest is get the 430 and upgrade the mains from the 170s to the 340s.

You can do the package calculation here (minus the receiver):

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...isor.mv#bottom

ted*

Agent
Im not 100% sure of the dimension because I won't be moving in there for another month. However it is connected with a half wall to the kitchen so I guess you can say open.

It is longer than it is wider. If I had to guess I would say the Width is 15' and the length is long due to it being open with the kitchen.

I will be willing to step down to receiver and go with the mains at 340s and keep the back the way they are.

the STF-2 from ascends costs 400$ I was thinkin I can get another subwoofer for similar money that is better.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
You'll get a more noticeable increase in performance by going with the HK430/Acend 340 combo vs. the HK630/Ascend 170 combo....especially where music is concerned.

Re: the Hsu sub. I doubt you'll find a better performer at the $400 mark. Actually, if you step up to $429, you can get the SVS PB10:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

For about $330, you can get a 12" sub from HTD:

http://www.htd.com/lethposu.html

These new ones are supposed to be better than their old ones, but I've not heard them (will give it a go tomorrow).

ted*

Agent
How about this.

What Sub would you recommend me buying with this setup (price can go up to 600-800).

Just curious if it will be worth to shell out a little more dough.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne DLS500R... Impressive power specs, Built in EQ and 15" driver puts it over the top for me hands down.

Google it, do some price comparisons and you can find it near the $500 mark from reputable dealers.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
John,

Are you going by specs alone? Can you list what experience(s) you've had with the Velodyne and what other subs you've compared it to? This would give us a better understanding of why it is as good as you say it is. Also on the EQ stuff, how many bands of EQ does it support?

I found this thread on AVS comparing the Velo 5000 with the SVS ISD (not sure which one) and the Hsu VTF-3MK2:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=536972

It really doesn't matter what I think is the best sub, it all comes down to what you like and what your preferences are. Demoing any one (or all 3) of these subs will be your best bet. But I doubt that you could go wrong with any of these choices.

ted*

Agent
Thanx for all your help guys.

Ive done reading and I think I will shell out the extra cash and get the SVS PB12-ISD.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have experience with a lot of subs. I just don't find single 12" driver subs from anybody handle the demand anymore.

Other subs may extend lower, but if they can't handle the demand what good is it??????

I'm sure a dual 12" from SVS would be better in this regaurd.

I am going to email SVS as they are only like 80 miles south of me, and take my new Velo 5000r down there for a shoot out of sorts with the SVS line.

I have never done any sub side by side shootouts, in all honesty. I did recently encounter a DLS5000R at somebodies home, and man it was super fantastic impressive.

I've encountered several HSU Subs, but still no SVS subs. I have no doubt that the much greater sized and priced dual 12" SVS subs would best it by a significant margin.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I currently use a single Velo CHT-15, and have the 5000R on order and on the way, I plan to run both of them.

That Velodyne is a bargain and will slay any single 12" equipped sub in the high demand arena. As always this is my opinion only. No facts involved here really at all.

But the one I recently encountered, was in the worst room possible and more than delivered the goods, I was impressed enough to get out the card and place the order.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Thanks, John. Hope your trip to SVS is a good one. Let us know how the Velodyne fairs against one of the SVS.

You might also ask them why they won't use a 15" driver in any of their subs. I think it's been documented, but I'm not able to dig it up at the moment (too lazy, actually). I'd like to know the answer, as well.

What does it mean when you say "handle the demand"? Are you talking about sheer SPLs, or accurately reproducing a signal? This also depends on the size of the room you're using them in, since a really large room would benefit from a 15", whereas a medium-sized one may not need a 15" sub.

Also, I would think 15" drivers would have trouble being as "quick" as a 12".

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Ted, I can only give a little input here, and that is only about the PB12-ISD as I have one.

My room dimensions are 17*13 and VERY open (only 1 complete wall). I know that there are going to be huge placement/EQ concerns with this sub based on my room specs, however I am not at that point yet, and will only comment on what I have experienced thus far (just sitting in the front corner calibrated with the rest of the system).

It is a more than capable sub. Last night I watched The Incredibles (which had an incredible amount of LFE) and it shook the house...literally.

In fact after getting it and convincing my wife that it is actually an oddly shaped cofee table (I havnt been able to explain the cable yet :)) I have wondered several times if it might be overkill. I have thought about trying out a PB10 to see if that suits better my WAF/price concerns.

Given your price concerns, you might want to see what works best in your room, and try out a PB10 first as most reviews say it is pretty capable. My $0.02.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Nhan_H,

Yes by demand, I mean meeting the requirements of true reference level and then some in any given room. I run my subs intentionally hot, so I am harder on them than some. But it seems nearly everybody I encounter these days with a house, wants to be able to literally tear it down with their sub if they so desire. :)

I think I know why SVS stays with the 12" driver, you get a tighter more natural sounding bass. Many think all 15" drivers get to boomy, not to mention what they think about 18"... I can sort of agree with this philosophy, but on the HT side of things the larger drivers seem best to me, but with music, I tend to agree tighter more accurate bass is best.

I'm sure the dual 12" SVS just gives you the best of both of those worlds in general. But man they are really large from what I have read about them.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
John, the Velo sounds like a beast. I can't find much info on reviews and SPL numbers that were measured. Can you post a link if you have it? I'm interested in doing some more reading on it.

Thanks,

--Nhan

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, your right...

I can find reviews on every other Velo ever made, but not this one. Just a VANS review from a more casual user was all.

I will have some spl numbers in a few weeks.

I am going through an entire revamp of my entire HT system, so this will just be part of it all.

I'm really looking forward to finally getting to see and experience some of the SVS stuff as well.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
For strict wave propagation there is no replacement for displacement, the bigger driver should go lower with more output every time. Only when you are considering the room effect and some pressurization can a smaller driver get as low and loud (generally) as a larger driver.

SD wins the battle every time IMO, now quality of sound and attack/decay is a completely different ball game, this is what makes a truly fine sub.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Well if money is not the object anymore I would recommend the SVS PB12/+2 ultra. I have the older PB2+. This sub is great. Fits my roughly 26X14 room that is open into the eating and kitchen area very good and never had to have it above 1/2 gain so runs very cool. Love the air movement and tactical feel from it. Bass is bass when it comes to sound but not all are equal if you want to feel it which for me means a lot as my use is mostly for HT purposes. I gave up dual 12" NHT's for this SVS sub and there was not even a close compairison.
I would like to try that Velodyne DLS500R out though.. I am sure it would not put out the air that the SVS would but sounds like a great sub for those that just want the music...

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the 5000R yesterday, should be in next week. I have over 6000 cubic feet to fill and I am hoping that it does a great job. I have been happy with everything that I have read about it so I can't wait to see how it performs in my home. :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty cool.. Sounds like we should both be getting ours in around the same time then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks