Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WWE: Best of the 80's DVD match list.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 12:30 PM

Here it is from Wrestling Observer

Quote:
*Greg Valentine vs. Roddy Piper from Starrcade 83 in a dog collar match

*Sgt. Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik from 5/21/84 in Madison Square Garden (the match which set up the famous boot camp match)

*JYD vs. Randy Savage from 11/7/85 in the finals of the Wrestling Classic PPV tournament

*Ultimate Warrior vs. Bobby Heenan from 6/25/88 in Madison Square Garden

*Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes from Starrcade 84 with Joe Frazier as referee for NWA title

*Ole & Arn Anderson vs. Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack Haynes for the National tag team titles at Starrcade 85

*Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich for the AWA & World Class titles from the AWA Superclash PPV in 1988

*Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat for the NWA title on 2/20/89 in Chicago where Steamboat wins the title (an all-time classic)

*Ric Flair vs. Jay Youngblood from 2/3/82

*Bob Backlund vs. Jimmy Snuka cage match for the WWF title where Snuka missed the cage dive

*Bob Backlund vs. Iron Sheik for WWF title in MSG on 12/26/83 where Sheik won the title

*Paul Orndorff vs. Salvatore Bellomo on 1/23/84 in MSG

*Hulk Hogan vs. Iron Sheik from 1/23/84 in MSG where Hogan won the WWF title for the first time

*Jimmy Snuka vs. Bob Orton from 2/18/85 in MSG

*Hulk Hogan vs. Roddy Piper from 2/18/85 in the War to Settle the Score match which set up the first Wrestlemania "

I want it for the Chitown Rumble match and for the War to Settle the Score match most of all.

#2 of 38 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:19 PM

DeepDiscountDVD has this listed at a great price for a three DVD set. I think this will just be the first of many in this series because they didn't even start to scratch the most popular matches of the eighties with this set.

Paul

#3 of 38 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted May 11 2005 - 02:42 PM

This is BEAUTIFUL!!! I remember creating a post last year wishing for something very similar to this. I hope there will be many more editions to follow! Thanks very much for sharing this news Casey. I'm definitely getting this!
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#4 of 38 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 04:31 PM

Tempting, but a good chunk of this is from before even my time (I started as a fan when I was 5, in 85). It was originally said that this would have Savage vs Steamboat from Wrestemania 3, but I guess that isn't the case. If I had not just lucked in to finding an original commercial copy of Chi-Town Rumble 89, I'd be sold already.

I'm also still torn on Wrestlemania 21. I want the Hall of Fame Ceremony, to compliment last year's disc, and I must have Angle vs Michaels (honestly, the $20 is worth it for just that one match)...at the same time you just KNOW at some point they will do a best of Kurt set that will include that match.

Road Warriors set is a given, and for nostalgia's sake I must get the upcoming 2 disc Ultimate Warrior set. I only hope it will have Hogan-Warrior from Wrestlemania 6 and Warrior-Savage from Wrestlemania 7. His horrible, half hour long promos from the WCW run would seal the deal.

#5 of 38 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 04:07 AM

Savage vs Steamboat from Wrestemania 3

I watched WWf for ten years, this is the only maych i'd pay to watch again.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#6 of 38 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 10:12 AM

I absolutely agree that this is also in my top 3 matches of all time
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 38 Matthew Green

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 02:51 PM

I got to see the match between Savage and Steamboat LIVE!!! I ordered it on PPV that night back in 1987 as my first WWF ppv. Wrestling was SO good back then. PEople had YEAR long feuds. Not a new feud every month or so like now.

#8 of 38 Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 10:45 PM

I'm gonna have to pick that up. Too bad they don't say when it's coming out. There's also another Flair/Dusty NWA World Title match from one of the 1986 Great American Bash cards. I have the Starrcades from 83-89 on tape, but the quality isn't the greatest so it would be great to get some of the Jim Crockett Promotions footage that's crystal clear for a change. Posted Image

#9 of 38 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted May 13 2005 - 02:39 AM

Quote:
Wrestling was SO good back then. PEople had YEAR long feuds. Not a new feud every month or so like now.

I couldn't agree with you more. As a kid in the 80's, wrestling was the best. The way they built up storylines was enough to make any kid chomp at the bit awaiting the climax. I remember all of the events leading up to the Hogan/Andre feud in '86/'87. When Wrestlemania III finally rolled around, myself (and literally all my friends) were on pins and needles awaiting the result. Today, it's just pathetic. With 2 shows per week and a pay-per-view every month, TWO in some cases, they don't give them time to establish a decent storyline. The old saying definitely applies here...............they don't make'em like they used to.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#10 of 38 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted May 14 2005 - 02:16 AM

I cannot agree more! In the old NWA days, every time Ric Flair and Lex Luger went at it for the belt, you were assured that you were gonna get some awesome matches - and their feud went on for quite a long time! And every time it looked like Luger was inches away from winning the belt from Flair, something would always happen and Flair would retain the belt. Those were classics!

Another awesome 80's match I'd love to see again would be the phenomenal 45-minute ring war between Ric Flair and Sting. That just goes beyond words! (I caught a brief clip yesterday of Sting talking with Mark Chironna on TBN, and I had to look really hard to tell that it was Sting, he'd changed so much, with more gray in the hair than before.)
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#11 of 38 Joe*R

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted May 15 2005 - 03:28 PM

Can someone tell me what this is called on deepdiscountdvd.com. I was searching for it, but could not find a thing related to it. Thanks.

#12 of 38 Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted May 15 2005 - 03:58 PM

Quote:
I must get the upcoming 2 disc Ultimate Warrior set. I only hope it will have Hogan-Warrior from Wrestlemania 6 and Warrior-Savage from Wrestlemania 7.

The Hogan-Warrior match is on the Wrestlemania X8 DVD however this DVD is OOP now.

#13 of 38 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
Can someone tell me what this is called on deepdiscountdvd.com. I was searching for it, but could not find a thing related to it. Thanks.

I was trying to figure out the same thing - think it's under this:

"WWE-GREATEST WRESTLING STARS OF TH"

It has no cover art, let alone the full title, but it streets on June 14. $18.88 is not bad for a 3-disc set. I'm also thinking of putting in orders for an Andre the Giant DVD and "History of Wrestlemania." They're both only $5.99. Anyone know if those DVDs are any good?
I haven't watched wrestling since I was about 8 year old, so this will be a great nostalgia fix. Although... I still have a tape of the complete Wrestlemania III somewhere - maybe I'll need to dig that one up.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#14 of 38 Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 03:50 PM

The cover art is out.

Posted Image

According to this website the DVD will include the Steamboat-Savage IC match at WMIII. Here is their description of the DVD.

Quote:
The Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80s! A special triple DVD set. This is sure to be a must have for every wrestling fan's DVD collection!

This is just a partial listing of matches:

* Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage - WWF Intercontinental Title Match, WrestleMania III

* Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich - AWA World Title vs. WCCW Title, AWA SuperClash III

* Sgt. Slaughter vs. Pat Patterson - Boot Camp Match

* Greg Valentine vs. Roddy Piper - Dog Collar Match, Starrcade '83

* Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper & Paul Orndorff - WrestleMania I

* Jimmy Snuka vs. Don Muraco - Steel Cage Match, Madison Square Garden

* Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes - NWA World Title Match, Great American Bash '85

* Harley Race vs. Ric Flair - NWA World Title Cage Match, Starrcade '83

* Sgt. Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik - Madison Square Garden

* Greg Valentine vs. Tito Santana - IC Title Lumberjack Match, MSG

* Ultimate Warrior vs. Bobby Heenan - Weasel Suit Match, MSG

* Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes - NWA World Title, Million Dollar Challenge, Starrcade '84

* Ole & Arn Anderson vs. Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack Haynes - National Tag Titles, Starrcade '85

* Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - NWA World Title, Chi-Town Rumble

* Ric Flair vs. Jay Youngblood

* Jimmy Snuka vs. Bob Backlund - WWF Title Cage Match, MSG

* Bob Backlund vs. Iron Sheik - WWF Title, MSG

* Paul Orndorff vs. Salvatore Ballamo - MSG

* Iron Sheik vs. Bob Orton Jr. - WWF Title, MSG

* Jimmy Snuka vs. Bob Orton Jr. - MSG

* Roddy Piper vs. Hulk Hogan - MSG, The War to Settle the Score

* Junk Yard Dog vs. Randy Savage

Also features footage from Slammy Awards, Tuesday Night Titans, World Wide Wrestling, AWA All Star Wrestling, NWA Championship Wrestling, Saturday Night's Main Event and Championship Wrestling.

Can this be true? Is this website reliable? Being the Steamboat mark that I am, Steamboat-Savage (WMIII) and Steamboat-Flair (Chi-Town Rumble) will make this set an absolute no-brainer purchase for me!

#15 of 38 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted May 31 2005 - 09:50 AM

Anyone know of a final listing?

I have the idea that this is one of those cheap-o WWE releases a la the André the Giant DVD that came out late last year. The André the Giant DVD was just an old videotape slapped onto DVD.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#16 of 38 David Bixenspan

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 31 2005 - 12:55 PM

Quote:
Anyone know of a final listing?
The above is the closest right now.

Quote:
I have the idea that this is one of those cheap-o WWE releases a la the André the Giant DVD that came out late last year. The André the Giant DVD was just an old videotape slapped onto DVD.
It's not.

#17 of 38 John-M

John-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 31 2005 - 08:07 PM

This will be the first wrestling disc I will pick up, however, it's a shame that the other wrestling DVDs is out of print, I want to buy the other wrestling DVDs but I have to pay hefty $$$ for it! Posted Image

#18 of 38 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 03:24 PM

Quote:
This will be the first wrestling disc I will pick up, however, it's a shame that the other wrestling DVDs is out of print, I want to buy the other wrestling
DVDs but I have to pay hefty $$$ for it!

Try HighSpots.com they have good prices and good service and you can even get some of those OOP wrestling DVDs like WM X8, great site, highly recommended.

#19 of 38 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 04:27 AM

Once someone has this disc, or there is a review, confirming the STEAMBOAT v. RS @ WM3-- please post.

Also, does this disc give you and context to the matches? Some of these I missed (being a WWF only guy)- and might be more interested in if they give some of the backstory.

Also, will they include interviews or anything from the pre-match? I'd love to see Mean Gene Okerlund again: especially watching his lips read the cuecards along with the wrestler! I always found that hilarious and wondered why no one ever asked him to stop.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#20 of 38 David Bixenspan

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 05:17 AM

I should be getting a copy of it (and the Road Warriors set) by the release date. I'm guessing there will be interviews/buildup for at least some of the matches.

As far as in print and out of print stuff, I BELIEVE all of the "WWF" releases went OOP in Summer-Fall '02. Some, like Hulk Still Rules, can still be found pretty easily.

As far as stuff w/ "classic"/pre-1990ish footage that are in print and aren't budget releases, there's:

Hall of Fame - 2004 Induction Ceremony
Bloodbath: Wrestling's Most Incredible Steel Cage Matches
The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD
WWE From The Vault - Shawn Michaels (mostly '90s stuff, but includes AWA match)

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow