Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TWO Greta Garbo Collections from Warners in September!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 08:27 AM

Great news from "The Criterion Forum":

http://www.criterion....pic.php?t=2244

So, the first indications seem to be that Warners will be releasing not one but TWO Greta Garbo Collections on DVD come September in time for her 100th Anniversary. Yippee!!

Apparently, a TCM Archive 2-Disc Set will include the following (all accompanied by an Audio Commentary by Mark Vieira):

1.THE TEMPTRESS (1926)
2.FLESH AND THE DEVIL (1926) - the only one I've watched from this bunch and an excellent film it is, too...with an unforgettable ending to boot!
3.THE MYSTERIOUS LADY (1928)

Then, for their "Greta Garbo Signature Collection", Warners have these in store for us:

1.ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) - hopefully, they'll also include the alternate German-language version shot simultaneously by Jacques Feyder
2.MATA HARI (1931) - the only one I've yet to watch from this group, and most welcome it is, too!
3.QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933) - directed by a virtuoso like Rouben Mamoulian at the peak of his powers, it's small wonder that this is Garbo's best film
4.ANNA KARENINA (1935) - hopefully, they'll sneak in the earlier Silent version of Tolstoy's opus, LOVE (1927) co-starring John Gilbert, as well
5.CAMILLE (1936)
6.NINOTCHKA (1939) - more Lubitsch is always welcome...and Bela Lugosi, tooPosted Image!

I wish they had also included CONQUEST (1937), another major Garbo sound film which has eluded me so far, but I'm awfully pleased with Warners as it isPosted Image!

#2 of 58 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 11 2005 - 08:34 AM

Hmm, I've never seen any of these, I might be tempted.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#3 of 58 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 09:40 AM

i won't be getting either box set, but Queen Christina is one of my favorite films of all time.
its another title i always regreted not picking up on LD, and can not wait to get it now on DVD.

#4 of 58 Paul Borges

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 09:51 AM

Garbo fans will have to be thrilled with this news. No double dip with Grand Hotel, six talkies that may be her most popular, plus a silent box! Good Job Warner!

#5 of 58 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 10:05 AM

I have only seen Ninotchka of all of these.

Great news indeed
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 58 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 10:06 AM

There's only one of these films I want, but boy do I want it badly: Ninotchka.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 58 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 11 2005 - 10:19 AM

I'm getting all of these and I suggest that those limiting themselves to just one title, take a look at the other titles if you haven't already.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 58 Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm getting all of these and I suggest that those limiting themselves to just one title, take a look at the other titles if you haven't already.

I'm with Crawdaddy on this. I'm getting all collections and everything else that comes. I love Garbo...and need to learn more about Garbo....and buying it all only helps quench the thirst and satisfy my buds.
My DVD/Film Library
dvd folders under construction:wink:

#9 of 58 TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 11:14 AM

That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout!!

Posted Image

Tim

#10 of 58 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:01 PM

I'm getting all of these and I suggest that those limiting themselves to just one title, take a look at the other titles if you haven't already
Any chance that the three I haven't seen (Queen Christina, Anna Christie, Mata Hari) are more like the film I love (Ninotchka), than the ones I don't care for (Camille, Anna Karenina)?
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 58 Jing_B

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:45 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!! I'll be only getting Ninotchka which had been on my wish list as long as Top Hat and Swing Time!!!

#12 of 58 DaveK

DaveK

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:49 PM

Was Two-Faced Woman really considered a bad movie???

I remember seeing it a long time ago and I thought it was okay.

#13 of 58 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
Any chance that the three I haven't seen (Queen Christina, Anna Christie, Mata Hari) are more like the film I love (Ninotchka), than the ones I don't care for (Camille, Anna Karenina)?

no.
the three you haven't seen are primarily (melo)dramas.
Ninotchka is a sophisticated comedy.
Queen Christina generally gets lumped in with the rest of her 'tragic romances' (and thats not really wrong) but it actually has a lot more to offer.
its a very stimulating portrait of a Queen, who ascends to the throne as a child, who is lusty in her passion for enlightenment, and who is eventually conflicted between duty and desire.
i don't find it a dry, turgid, or creaky movie by any means- it's warm, romantic, and highly entertaining.
ymmv, of course.

i'll leave it for someone else to petition the merits of the others.

#14 of 58 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 11 2005 - 02:47 PM

Oops, I forgot that melodramas isn't a desired film taste for some of us.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#15 of 58 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 04:46 PM

They will both be mine... Posted Image

#16 of 58 ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 10:01 PM

As a teenage film fan I tended to avoid historical films and "women's pictures" so missed seeing many of these. However, as you get older your tastes broaden, and I've become very interested in Garbo's work, so, as with the Erroll Flynn box, these will be enthusiastic blind buys for me.

#17 of 58 FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 11:33 PM

Congratulations to Warner and George Feltenstein on the Garbo Collection. They promised us all of your favorite Garbo films and we got it....Conquest and A Woman's Face would have been good too. Maybe a second box set will come later that will include the remaining Garbo's.
Astaire and Rogers/Thin Man now Garbo, what else can Warner do to top itself ? Maybe a Busby Berkeley musical set in October ??????

#18 of 58 Mike D

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 12:24 AM

Amazing. I never got to ask my question in the chat, but they heard me any way. Needless to say I am very pleased.

#19 of 58 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 01:23 AM

Ninotchka and Queen Christina are the must-buys for me. I also hope that Love is released- MGM was clever to film two different endings: a happy one for America, and a sad one for Europe that followed the book. Having seen both, I prefer the domestic version, which actually improves Tolstoy's story. If you see the film on TCM, it's actually the US film with a live audio recording of a showing in London with full orchestra and audience reaction. When Anna and Vronsky reunite in the finale, the audience erupted in wild cheers and applause- when was the last time you saw a reaction like that in a movie theater?
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#20 of 58 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,408 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 02:04 AM

Too bad no Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise with a very young
Clark Gable. Not a great film but interesting for the stars involved. I wonder if there will be a Garbo documentary included with one of the films or as an extra disc on the talkies box set.

Forum Nav Content I Follow