Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quick question about NES A/V cables

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Dean L

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 09:45 AM

I have not owned a NES in ages. I'm gonna pick one up and revisit some old games. My question, is the AV cable compatable with the same cable for SNES, N64, and GC? If not, is a S-video cable made for SNES and also if not, is there a decent AV cable to get for it?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 02:10 PM

The old style NES (front loader) actually has RCA composite video and (mono) audio out ports, so nothing is needed besides a RCA cable and Y adapter. (It also had RF out, of course). Unfortunately, it didn't have S-video out. The new style (top loader) only has RF out, I believe.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Dean L

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 03:44 PM

"The new style (top loader) only has RF out, I believe." Thanks and glad you pointed that out!

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 10:02 AM

Dean L,

Nintendo not only removed support for composite video with the top loader, but they also introduced graphical artifacts -- vertical lines now muddle already poor RF video picture. Yeah, stay away from the top loader, unless you're content with the RF signal (can't imagine why you would be).

Unless you can track down the composite-enabled Japanese top loader with an NES to Famicom converter to play your American games, you might want to consider something like this:

Neo Fami System

This is a review of an earlier model.

This system is not distributed by Nintendo, but is compatible with all (licensed and unlicensed) NES games and control pads without the use of an adapter, supports high quality composite video, and has the top-loading design to ensure good pin connections. It can be found for $30-40 USD or so. I haven't personally tried it yet, but the general consensus has been very positive.

Some RCA cables with excessively "fat" interconnects, such as Monster Cables, might not fit due to the connectors being recessed into the back of the unit, but any cables without the fat connectors (or the AV cables it comes with) will fit fine.

Hope this is helpful!

David

Note: This post includes a link to an online retail site. I am not employed by or affiliated in any way with the site. If this link violates the rules in any way I'll happily remove it.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Dean L

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:14 PM

Thanks DaveB! Very helphul!

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob Feagins

Bob Feagins

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 02:48 AM

The RCA video output of my NES actually looks worse than the RF output. I'm not sure why this is, or if it is limited to my setup, but you might want to experiment a little. -Bob

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 04:52 AM

The top loader is also more rare than the original sexy box front loader design. If you do find a top loader, snatch it, if only for collecting.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt C

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 09:42 AM

Wow, that Neo Fami system looks great! I have a lot of NES games sitting around in the basement somewhere, it would be great to have an NES system hooked up alongside my other HT equipment! Posted Image Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone have any experience purchasing from the site linked above by DaveB (sorry for asking, but previous bad experiences with web-purchases have made me overly cautious)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users