What's new

Quick question about NES A/V cables (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I have not owned a NES in ages.
I'm gonna pick one up and revisit some old games.
My question, is the AV cable compatable with the same cable for SNES, N64, and GC?
If not, is a S-video cable made for SNES and also if not, is there a decent AV cable to get for it?

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
The old style NES (front loader) actually has RCA composite video and (mono) audio out ports, so nothing is needed besides a RCA cable and Y adapter. (It also had RF out, of course). Unfortunately, it didn't have S-video out.

The new style (top loader) only has RF out, I believe.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
"The new style (top loader) only has RF out, I believe."

Thanks and glad you pointed that out!

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Dean L,

Nintendo not only removed support for composite video with the top loader, but they also introduced graphical artifacts -- vertical lines now muddle already poor RF video picture. Yeah, stay away from the top loader, unless you're content with the RF signal (can't imagine why you would be).

Unless you can track down the composite-enabled Japanese top loader with an NES to Famicom converter to play your American games, you might want to consider something like this:

Neo Fami System

This is a review of an earlier model.

This system is not distributed by Nintendo, but is compatible with all (licensed and unlicensed) NES games and control pads without the use of an adapter, supports high quality composite video, and has the top-loading design to ensure good pin connections. It can be found for $30-40 USD or so. I haven't personally tried it yet, but the general consensus has been very positive.

Some RCA cables with excessively "fat" interconnects, such as Monster Cables, might not fit due to the connectors being recessed into the back of the unit, but any cables without the fat connectors (or the AV cables it comes with) will fit fine.

Hope this is helpful!

David

Note: This post includes a link to an online retail site. I am not employed by or affiliated in any way with the site. If this link violates the rules in any way I'll happily remove it.

Bob Feagins

Auditioning
The RCA video output of my NES actually looks worse than the RF output. I'm not sure why this is, or if it is limited to my setup, but you might want to experiment a little.

-Bob

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The top loader is also more rare than the original sexy box front loader design. If you do find a top loader, snatch it, if only for collecting.

Matt C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Wow, that Neo Fami system looks great! I have a lot of NES games sitting around in the basement somewhere, it would be great to have an NES system hooked up alongside my other HT equipment! :D Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone have any experience purchasing from the site linked above by DaveB (sorry for asking, but previous bad experiences with web-purchases have made me overly cautious)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks