Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will There Be A 'Best Of' Friends?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 David Levy

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 01:19 AM

In a similar vein to the Mad About You collection...

Not sure I could sit through/particularly want to own 10 seasons, especially given the indifferent quality at times...

#2 of 17 Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 01:25 AM

There's already 4 best of's that were released before the season sets were announced, but they could always do more themed sets after Season 10 is released.

#3 of 17 David Levy

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 01:34 AM

What I mean is a definitive, 4 disc or so collection...

#4 of 17 Andreas_K

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 01:43 AM

I think it's very likely that they'll do additional releases. I don't think they'll stop with one "definitive" best of set.

If they decide to milk their property Warner could do character themed best of DVD's and/or maybe a release with some well known guest stars.

#5 of 17 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 04:00 AM

I'm sure Andreas is right. Studios are unlikely to stop releasing a hot show just because they've done all the seasons. Fox is doing the conspiracy episodes, and there's been talk of various Buffy sets, so it's plausible that Warner Bros would want to continue releasing something for Friends.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 17 John McM

John McM

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 08:38 AM

count me in

I would like to see a 10 disc set (of course, not in a digipack), with a disc of the best episodes of each season (and I know WB did a "Best of" set for seasons 1-4, but left out the most classic episodes of those respective seasons)

#7 of 17 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted March 24 2005 - 10:09 AM

I'll gladly stop after season 10. I wouldn't need, nor want a best-of release after owning all ten seasons. I personally don't mind swapping discs to view my favorite episodes. For those who don't want to invest that kind of money into 10 seasons of the show, a 4-disc best-of would probably suit them best.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#8 of 17 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't mind a compilation of Lisa Kudrow's songs.

Quote:
Smelly cat
Smelly cat
What are they feeding you?

Smelly cat
Smelly cat
It's not your fault

#9 of 17 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 02:19 PM

Unfortunately, Friends is already available in a number of "Best Of" single-disc collections. You'll find them where they belong: With 200 other clearance DVDs in your Walmart Two for $11 bin.

#10 of 17 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 03:10 PM

I think that its pretty obvious that Warner is not done with Friends when season 10 comes out although I'm done buying them at that point. I looked at some of those best of collections for the early seasons and needless to say I did not agree with a lot of those choices, especially season 4.

#11 of 17 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted March 24 2005 - 04:23 PM

While it's true that they're probably not done with Friends, I assume that the first season of Joey would be released before any compilations...

#12 of 17 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted March 25 2005 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
While it's true that they're probably not done with Friends, I assume that the first season of Joey would be released before any compilations...

... in desperate hope of getting more viewers for Joey S2.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#13 of 17 Wezzo

Wezzo

Stunt Coordinator

• 248 posts

Posted March 25 2005 - 07:05 AM

Joey S1 has a street date of 25th July over here in Britain according to various e-tailers, but has a whopping list price of £50 ($110!) If the price is similar to that in America I don't think they have much chance of gaining new viewers..

#14 of 17 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted March 25 2005 - 07:27 PM

Now that's one show I will NOT purchase. I had high hopes for "Joey", and God knows I gave it a fighting chance. I watched about 5 or 6 episodes before coming to the conclusion that I hated the show. If the show's ratings are any indication, I can't see it lasting too long, not without some drastic changes anyway. Given the low ratings, it'd be interesting to see how many people would purchase a season 1 set. I really wanted to like "Joey", but it just wasn't happening for me.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#15 of 17 Angela_K

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 05:20 AM

Hmmm I love Joey, I think alot of people expected it be a Friends Clone when it wasn't they were disappointed. That's my take on it anyways Posted Image Alot of Friends Fans said they won't watch Joey because they feel he wasn't the one who should have been spun off, that it should have been Monica and Chandler, but that's kind of hard when the actors didn't want to do a spin off.

I'd buy Joey on DVD.

I think I'd rather own all Seasons of Friends on DVD. "best of" are usually disappointing

#16 of 17 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,195 posts

Posted March 26 2005 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
Alot of Friends Fans said they won't watch Joey because they feel he wasn't the one who should have been spun off, that it should have been Monica and Chandler, but that's kind of hard when the actors didn't want to do a spin off.

I'd have liked a spin-off in which five of the six leads returned and they PRETENDED the sixth one was still around. Every show would be, "hey, where's Phoebe?" or whoever. The stories would revolve around that fact - nothing would happen except for people wondering about the missing friend. Now THAT'D be must-see TV! Posted Image
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#17 of 17 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,293 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 26 2005 - 02:00 PM

Count me in for a "best of" for each season, like the first four. I loved the content of the best-of discs, but they gave me a very wrong (IMO) impression of the series. I truly disliked most of what was on the season discs I saw, very inconsistent standards. So I'm not a fan, but if it's about money, they'll get some of mine with more best-ofs, but not any for more season discs.

Forum Nav Content I Follow