Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What is Best Buy's Price Match Policy?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,184 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 05:49 AM

Looking at Digital Cameras. Suppose BB is selling a Camera at $329 but I see the same camera at New Egg for $289. Will Best Buy pricematch when I go into the store? Just wondering what their price match policy is.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,085 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 08 2005 - 05:56 AM

It needs to be a current advertised price. So you'll need a flyer with the price in it.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 06:03 AM

No you don't. Until a few weeks ago I worked in customer service at a Best Buy in Austin (I'm now in inventory). At least at my Best Buy, all you have to do is go up to customer service and say you want a price match on whatever item. If you do not have an ad with you, we will call the competitor. As long as the competitor has the item in stock and they are the exact same model number, we will match their current in store price. Best Buy does not match competitors' rebates. Now if you go ahead and buy the item at Best Buy's price, then return with your receipt to customer service and do the price match after the fact, you will also get 10% of the difference refuned. Or you may be able to get the 10% at the time of original purchase if you specifically ask for it.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,184 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 06:06 AM

So, from what I gather, they will not match an online store such as NEWEGG.COM or similar?

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 06:10 AM

I didn't know New Egg was an online store...I'd never heard of it. At my store, we do not match prices of any online dealer, including even bestbuy.com. "Best Buy brick and mortar only competes with other brick and mortar retailers."

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 10:36 AM

Ron, check with Circuit City. The new ones that have opened up here in Southlake and Hurst, when you want to match a price, they just go to the website from their check-out register, see the price and do a match. I haven't tried an online only store yet, but definitely worth a call/try. It's great, they've got a customer-accessible networked computer in the store so you can surf their online site. I always use it when in just to check on what I'm buying.
Kyle McKnight

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,734 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 08 2005 - 01:37 PM

Ron:

From BestBuy.com:

Items purchased at a Best Buy store qualify for our store price guarantee.

Store Price Guarantee
If, within 30 days* (14 days for computers, monitors, printers and notebooks, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors) of your purchase from Best Buy, you find a local competitor (excluding Internet competitors) offering a lower price on an available product of the same brand and model, we'll refund the difference plus another 10% of the difference. Just bring us a current ad or other verifiable written proof of the lower price, plus your original Best Buy sales receipt to claim your refund. This offer good only on all new in-the-box products of the same brand and model that are available in-store at any other local authorized retailer. It does not apply to competitor's one-of-a-kind or other limited quantity offer, or when a bonus or free offer (such as special financing program or manufacturer's rebate) is included in the purchase. Offer does not apply to BestBuy.com pricing. All returns exchanges and price adjustments must be made in the country of original purchase. Go to the customer service counter for details.

BestBuy stores won't match any e-tailers price (even that of bestbuy.com!). But if there's another B&M with a better price and you can bring proof to BB with you, do it. I'm afraid not all BB employees are as helpful as those at Vincent-P's store.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 07:24 AM

Not matching their online price is the most assinine thing about their policy. Especially since you can go home and place the order and come pick it up and get the online price. I've only had once when I've had a circumstance where the online price didn't match the store price and in that case the girl gave it to me without any question. I'd probably hunt down a manager and explain to him that he can give me the price, because I'm only going to go home and order it online and come right back to his store to get it anyways.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 08:52 AM

In most of my experiences with Best Buy, the manager would probably still not price match... Then I'd be damned if they were going to get my money by making me do that.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,184 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 09:28 AM

Last evening my girlfriend and I bought two Canon cameras, a speedlight, two memory cards and camera cases. I explained to the sales girl that the BEST BUY online price for the Canon Cameras were $50 cheaper than the store price. I asked that since we were buying so much gear could she give us the cameras at ONLINE rate. I also had a copy of the NEWEGG.COM prices. The salesgirl called the manager. The manager okay'd the discount. At the register I just showed them my NEWEGG ad. Now normally I don't think I would have gotten the price match. However, when you buy a lot of equipment at once you generally have more power to finagle.

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   JoeyR

JoeyR

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 10:18 AM

Your lucky, BB refused to PM Compusa 100yards away from them, I offered to do whatever needed(on JBL E25 center for 129.99), all 3 managers refused the Pm, then I called customer service and was told to get a Compusa card and buy it there, so I filed a complaint with the BBB, they said without an actual sale ad they would not match the price. BTW it was the Compusa buy one get one free JBL speaker sale(I had that ad) and they refused to pricematch Compusa on that too.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 11:25 AM

I don't think many, if any, places match the "buy something get something free" type of sales...
Kyle McKnight

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 12:17 PM

Best Buy is evil.Posted Image

Circuit City has atoned for their DIVX crime. Go there next time.Posted Image

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 03:47 AM

Here is the policy from bestbuy.ca (the Canadian version):

Our Lowest Price Guarantee

Our Lowest Price Guarantee makes sure you get the best price on the products you buy at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca

We will beat lower prices advertised by authorized dealers located in Canada, including prices advertised on the Internet. If, within 30 days* of purchasing an item from Best Buy or BestBuy.ca, you find the same product advertised at a lower price, we will gladly refund you 110% of the difference. If our own price is reduced within 30 days* of your purchase, we would be pleased to refund you the difference as well. *Computers, Monitors, Computer Creation Station Computers, Printers, Notebook Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Radar Detectors, Portable DVD Players and Air Conditioners are eligible for price protection under our guarantee within 14 days of the date of purchase.

Simply present us with your original Best Buy or BestBuy.ca sales receipt, along with proof that the item you bought is being advertised at a lower price. Once our staff verifies that the item is in stock and available for immediate sale and delivery at the advertised price, you will receive your refund. If you purchased the item from BestBuy.ca and there is no Best Buy store in your area, you can contact us at 1-866-237-8289 or by email at customerservice@bestbuycanada.ca. The advertised item must be of the same brand and model as the purchased product, must be new and factory sealed, and subject to a manufacturer's warranty applicable in Canada. Advertised prices must be in Canadian dollars, and will be calculated to include all charges applicable for next day delivery to your home address. Our Lowest Price Guarantee does not apply to advertising errors or misprints, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, and special financing offers.

Sounds a lot better than the US policy. Even e-tailers are matched, but shipping is factored into the price (which is fair).

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,734 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 10 2005 - 07:48 AM

Isn't that amazing how different they are for the US and Canada?! The Canadian policy seems pretty clear that even on an in-store purchase they WILL price-match an on-line price. Wow.

That last sentence, though, to be fair, DOES give them a fair amount of wiggle room! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 08:22 AM

You're missing something very important, though. No Best Buy Reward Zone Points if you go to Circuit City!

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 10:10 AM

No, but if you use the Circuit City card, you get rebates that way too. So, what's the difference? I'll go with better service any day.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,914 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 13 2005 - 02:13 AM

I agree completely. I got into an argument with the manager of one of the local Best Buy stores because they would not price match their own website. He ended up getting extremely rude, and Best Buy has now lost me permanently as a customer over a $5 price match with their own website.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:37 AM

The last time Best Buy told me they could not price match their online site, I calmly went over to their computer department and place the order there. Aslo since Circuit City came out with their Rewards card I hardly shop at Best Buy anymore.
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

THE LOFT

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,481 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 13 2005 - 05:07 AM

circuit city's card is a credit card. many people dont want another credit card. plus if you price match for something at CC from BB's add for 3 or 4 dollars then that beats the percentage you would get in return from the BB rewardzone anyhow.
facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users