What's new

What is Best Buy's Price Match Policy? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
The hassle of having to ever deal with service at Best Buy is not worth any "Reward Zone" points.

I still say that better service elsewhere is more important than to pay to be in Best Buy's Reward Zone...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm with those that say BB's price match policy isn't always followed by their employees. A couple years ago when the Ben Stiller Show DVD was released, I went to BB to price match Target's price on it ($19.99 vs. $14.99). They refused a $5 price match because "the price is lower than our cost for it." That's what known as a loss leader - you put something at or below your cost to get people into your store so they hopefully buy other stuff, too. Besides it's just $5.

The CS girl kept refusing, so I asked to speak to the manager (having previously worked at a supermarket CS desk in hihg school, I knew those were the magic words to get what you want). She talked to the manager on the phone for a couple minutes, then told me "we'll do it for you this time, but won't do it next time."

So they lost a customer, all over a $5 price match.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
If you can get a BB cashier to give you the extra 10% PM at the time of original purchase...the cashier was either clueless or perhaps exercising his/her customer service judgment--'cuz technically they are not supposed/allowed to do that...at least not w/o manager approval (if you can even get one to approve such a request); I mean, the wording on BB's PM policy effectively implies that such is not allowable--I know, 'cuz I tried to do the exact same thing (get the 10% at time of original purchase), with no success. However, you can sorta get around this "limitation" by paying the original price at the register, then walking straight over to the return area and request the PM +10% since technically, you've already paid the original price for the item. BB's PM policy doesn't explicitly state anything about how long you have to wait after you pay full price BEFORE you can request a PM...;)

Scott_J--isn't that ridiculous of BB to not honor a PM over $5? IMHO that is totally ridiculous, 'cuz I've gotten BB to PM a couple of iPod accessories--one priced $15 lower, the other $20 lower--that were on sale at Target (a bit ironic, considering your issue regarding a Target PM ;)). Heck, BB PM'd (plus +10%) an ATI Radeon card that was on sale for $50 less at Fry's...effectively making the total PM $55 + tax.

I guess I can theorize why BB wouldn't PM a DVD since they probably could sell more copies of a particular DVD than say, an iPod accessory or high-end video card...but then again, it's not like they'd be able to sell thousands of copies (if even that much) of Ben Stiller Show DVDs (my apologies to those Ben Stiller DVD fans) as opposed to say, tens of thousands of copies of The Incredibles or Star Wars.

RyanCai

Grip
If BB will lose too much money then they wont price match no matter what...

Bad experience trying to get these JBL speakers...Sears had them for $199 & BB was $349....I didn't have an ad but had a receipt showing the price...They didn't believe me so they called Sears...They didn't believe the sale clerk so they spoke with the manager..They didn't believe the manager & after an hour they told me they can't price match cause they will lose too much money...

LOL then i talked to customer service...they told me why don't you just buy from Sears instead...I explain to them about why they have a Price Match Guarantee & a 10% of the difference not to mention my reward zone...Well if you have problem call the our ONLINE customer serivice...

Even worse...The phone guy flat out lied & said that Sears don't carry this item & they spoke with a manager at Sears...That same day i went to Sears & bought the speakers...

------------

Last January i bought a 60" Sony LCD from BB....Then a couple of days later i receive their 10% coupon from the mail on TV's...I went to BB store & asked if they can accept this they say no...I told them its only been 5 days...Well we cant accept this coupon as it only works for non previous sales...I told them i can just return the TV back & then just buy it over again but that will just be a pain for both of us...OK if you want us to accept the coupon you will have to buy our extended warranty...No thanks, so I return the TV back(it was a pain)but at least i got the discount & save $400...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
As much as I dislike BB, Ryan, they had every right to deny use of the coupon since you had previously purchased the TV. Their coupons always say "prior purchases excluded." Was it good customer service to not take it? No. But that's BB for you.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
How much money is "too much"? I mean, I've read of true instances where the PM'd difference was $100 (let alone $50 as in the instance I described in my last post)...yet they won't PM on a $5 difference? Don't get me wrong--I'm not ridiculing your "lose too much money" comment; it's just ridiculous (IMHO) that they would balk over a $5 difference--what, is some BB employee's family not gonna get fed if BB has to concede a $5 pricematch, or two, or a dozen?

As far as the "prior purchase" requirement when it comes to using coupons on purchases after the fact--yeah, technically BB is within their rights to refuse use of coupons in such a manner...but the majority of CS/return reps have enough common sense to know that it would be stupid to technically enforce it; I've done it a few times w/o having to actually "return" the item first, then buying it back w/ the coupon--each time w/o any hassle from the return clerk.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I have never been a fan of Best Buy. However, I did get a fantastic price match from them. Circuit CIty had the wrong price for the Humax/Tivo DVD recorder for several weeks in a row. Circuit City wouldn't honor the error, but everyone was taking the ad to Best Buy for a price match. many times with luck. I tried it and it worked! Got the unit for $199 (after rebate). I was really surprised.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Hey Ryan see my previous post above, they wouldnt pm JBL speakers at Compusa, I filed a complaint with BBB and it went unresolved

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks