What's new

Do you feel like the situation might be hopeless for your fave TV shows? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
When I say that, I mean "Do you doubt that your favorite titles will come to DVD?".

Speaking for myself, I've stated on here several times my wanting of the 4 Spielberg/Warner cartoons on DVD (those 4 being "Tiny Toon Adventures", "Animaniacs!", "Pinky And The Brain" and "Freakazoid!"). The thing I've noticed, though, is that Warner, although the best studio for DVDs out there, seems to be giving the shaft to the Spielberg cartoons. Every day, I visit TVShowsOnDVD hoping for the announcement of at least one of these titles. Every day, I come out disappointed. It seems like everyday with Warner that there's always a new superhero or Hanna-Barbera cartoon announced for season sets with shitloads of extras, but there's not even a peep about the Spielberg cartoons. I want these titles to come out, and tomorrow I plan on calling Warner about it, but I doubt we'll ever get releases of any of them. I often feel like I'm the only person who wants these shows on DVD, and I often feel like I might have to move Heaven and Earth to get these titles released. That's how bad I think the situation is.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

(Joking) Dave, Gord, toss me a crumb here!;)

MattHR

Screenwriter
I would bet the lack of these titles has more to do with Amblin Entertainment (Spielberg's production company) than with WB.

There are still several Amblin productions (film and TV) that have yet to be released on DVD: HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS, DAD, "Amazing Stories", "Family Dog",
"SeaQuest DSV" and "Young Indiana Jones" to name just a few.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
You have to be patient. The TV on DVD market (and general DVD market as well) is still young and there are THOUSANDS of titles yet to be released. Your favorites will likely be among them, but it may take more time than you would like.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I used to feel that way. Then the unimaginable started to happen: season sets of some of my favorite obscure shows such as "Sledge Hammer", "Freaks & Geeks" and "Planet of the Apes".

I have gone from being upset that shows I wanted were not available, to "Slow down already! I can't keep up with all these great shows being released so quickly!" It's gotten to the point that I'm actually not buying, or delaying buying, some titles that I'd otherwise have snatched up on streetdate.

Still, my four favorite shows of all-time have yet to be released (they're all from Universal so I remain optimistic): "The Six Million Dollar Man", "The Bionic Woman", "The Night Stalker" and "The Rockford Files". All but "Night Stalker" have been announced as coming to DVD sometime soon.

I guess my only real concern is that the market for these shows (and everyone else's favorites) is strong enough to release season sets until the series' completion. I'm a bit worried that the saturation level for TV-on-DVD may get to the point where some less popular/older shows are released in "best of" sets, or not at all.

As discussed here often, there are several shows that had "Season 1" releases, then nothing further. While I am disappointed when this happens, I've grown to appreciate having the S1 set instead of nothing at all. I will always remain hopeful for further releases, but fully understand market conditions that may dictate otherwise.

In the end, I am more grateful for the shows that have been released that I have collected...than I am upset for the ones that haven't.

LizH

Second Unit
"Birds of Prey": Probably (The campaign has heard rumors of a DVD in development. :emoji_thumbsup: )

"Max Headroom": Probably. (1) He's an 80's icon. (2) It's been praised to the heavens as being perhaps one of the most innovative and imaginative TV shows ever developed. :)

"The Flash": Released with the movie.

"StreetHawk": Doubtful. :frowning:

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Now that Greatest American Hero is coming out on dvd , the one I want most is the short-lived karen Sisco. Only 10 episodes were made and I'm quite worried that since it didn't show up shortly after the show's demise, it may not show up at all.

I also really really want to see Odyssey 5 and the second season of Jeremiah show up on dvd but no word on either. At least Jeremiah has its first season already out which is, hopefully, an indicator that they'll eventually release season 2..but Odyssey 5 has just kind of faded away.

I will say though that I've ended up buying much more tv on dvd product in the last year or so than films and I still haven't caught up on all the sets I've ended up getting.

Hopefully, all it takes is patience to see all our favorite shows come out on dvd.

Michael

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine is scared that her favorite series (Scarecrow and Ms. King) will never show up on DVD.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
"WKRP in Cincinnati" is my personal holy grail. Unfortunately, the problem here is not lack of interest but music licensing expense issues.

True fans of the show would refuse to buy a DVD set with all of the music replaced, because that would completely ruin the feel of the show.

But, I've proposed that a compromise be made. The original music would be placed in 3 categories:

1. Songs that are absolutely necessary to be in the show in their original form. This would include songs that are featured very centrally in a scene, or those which are referred to by name by the characters. Spend the money to license these songs.

2. Background songs that can be inexpensively licensed. Not all songs are outrageously expensive...identify the ones that aren't, and keep them. This will help maintain the genuine period feel of the show.

3. In the case of background songs that are too expensive to license (or not available at all), commission quality unsigned bands to make replacement songs which are in the same genre and spirit as the originals. Make sure the songs don't include musical styles, production elements, or lyric references that aren't consistent with the late 70's/early 80's. These unsigned bands will license their music much more cheaply, and to sweeten the pot, they could be offered a spot in the "Extras" section of the DVD...a profile of the band, full version of the song, link to where the CD can be bought, etc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It seems to me that, given time, just about every show with even a marginal following will make it to DVD. However, "time" in this case is not infinite. Right now and for the last few years, TV on DVD has been selling well, but eventually, tastes will shift either from TV on DVD or from DVD in general and studios will not be so quick to greenlight the shows we want to see. This is the golden age of TV on DVD; enjoy it for as long as it lasts, and petition the studios to get out the shows you want to see sooner rather than later.

Personally, I have been waiting for Get Smart and 1966's Batman for years. Each of the last four years or so, I get disappointed around September or so, realizing that they won't be out this year. I'm not giving up on 2005 yet, what with new movies for both properties in the works. (And speaking of which, doesn't it seem like movies based on old TV shows are often just a marketing tool for DVDs of the old shows?)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My personal holy grail at this point would be season sets of "Get a Life" It may be the last essential show for me that is not out on (season set) DVD yet (assuming those shows keep getting subsequent season sets released)

I got my hopes up about a year ago when it was listed as a title on a Columbia TV on DVD poll they put out. But still, nothing. I'm sure Columbia probably thinks that the show is to obscure at this point and it was never a huge success anyway, but I would love to get all the episodes released. I know the show used a fair amount of music, so if that is an issue, I would even take replaced music in some instances (as long as it fit the rules mentioned a few posts up.)

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator

Between that, the second season set of Twin Peaks and Police Squad, it's been a loooong wait!

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this has been posted already, but what are some of the tv shows that have been released that haven't made it past Season 1 or its been a long time between season 1 and now??

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Once and Again comes immediately to mind. That doesn't exactly bode well for Zwick/Herskovitz's thirtysomething, which is my most desired TV title. (TV Guide had noted a release date a couple of weeks ago, but it was apparently in error.) :frowning:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I felt like that for the longest time about Bewitched...I still kinda feel that way as it just seems it's taking so long for it to be released though I know it'll be at the beginning of the summer.

But the shows I REALLY feel hopeless about are, Animaniacs definitely, Addams Family, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Mama's Family and Muppets Tonight.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Well i'm pretty sure (and hopeful) that most shows will come to DVD eventually. Even my most number one show Brimstone I think will come eeventually. But The shows that I think will probably never come are most of the Canadian shows over the years.

I'm doubtful that Puttnam's Prairie Emporium, Seeing Things, Student Bodies, An American In Canada, The Little Vampire, Dog House, Mosquito Lake, Squawk Box and many many others will probably never come and that really sucks because I and others will probably never see them agaio.

There's a new show on YTV called Dark Oracle and on the message board the creator sometime posts and I asked her about a possible DVD release and she said probably never because they don't how populart it would be (like Corner Gas was) to warrant a DVD.

It's too bad we don't have a Canadian Company Like Shout Factory that would release our shows. But even then you'd need to know that you could make money from it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Surprised they have not brought Bosum Buddies out to capitalize on Tom Hanks big name. Would probably play better now with the whole Drag Queen thing popular these days.
China Beach would also be a gem. Warner??

Steve_P

Grip
Back in 2003, I thought Dilbert would never come to DVD, but the next year, all 30 episodes were released in one box-set.

I really loved the 1999 version of the Woody Woodpecker show. I haven't seen this program in 2 1/2 years.

When will a box-set for Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM version from 1993) ever come to DVD? I may not know for a long time...

I also want to see DVD releases of Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and Tiny Toon Adventures one of these days...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks